Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#2 Jordan De Goey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

As this comes under culture both good or bad imagine it fits into Nick Maxwell,s job function

It’s a shit of a position for the likes of Nick ,Walsh and players leaders to be in

This young man has given them something they don’t need as they work toward getting set up for a productive season

One hopes that we can get thru to him and get him doing the right thing

K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:54 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/jordan-de-goey-caught-drink-driving-20180218-p4z0qf.html

[T. Shaw speculates 6 wks.]
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Deep down he really wants to be a TV star. His first big break might be an appearance on RBT.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:00 pm

K wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/jordan-de-goey-caught-drink-driving-20180218-p4z0qf.html

[T. Shaw speculates 6 wks.]

Think that Tony has lost the plot. 6 weeks???

He didn't belt anybody, he didn't crash into parked cars, he didn't lie to the club - fine and community service and move on.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Lets play jury. How can we punish this dumb f*ck within the rules of his AFLPA contract without hurting the team? Not suspend him. Punish him in a way that hurts him only. I really hope his team mates are pissed at him as much as I am.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:09 pm

The primary consideration for the club is the effect that De Goey's DUI bust has on the rest of the playing group and its ambitions for season 2018. Nothing else matters, least of all what's best for De Goey. As we all know, he's got form with off-field issues so there can be no sentimentality for the 'boy'. He's an adult and fully responsible for his actions in society, not just the club.

So, suspend him for 4-6 games? That just has him coming back into the side to upset the balance of a new midfield set-up that has started the season without De Goey. No, its unfair on the team. There is also the shadow that his return will cast over the club when he returns. The media will blow this up big time and we do not need the distraction.

No, the way to deal with this is to suspend him (on pay) for the whole season withg the view to delist him at year's end depending on his physical condition and contrition. Also prohibit him from attending the club during his suspension. If he wants to pursue his footy career he can train privately (like Keefe and Thomas did).

He's likely going to to seek a contract for 2019 at another club anyway (given the negative feelings for him by both the players and supporters) so for Collingwood's sake lets not hand over a fully fit and firing De Goey to a rival team.

A year off on good money and no footy will be a real test of his determination to be a pro footy player, let alone a star. My guess is that he will blow it, spend the time and money getting pissed and drugged and will be no use to any club by year's end. Whatever, at least we'll know.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Damien wrote:
Lets play jury. How can we punish this dumb f*ck within the rules of his AFLPA contract without hurting the team? Not suspend him. Punish him in a way that hurts him only. I really hope his team mates are pissed at him as much as I am.

Therein lies a problem.
See e.g.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-players-may-face-increased-codeofconduct-fines-20171101-gzcxgx.html
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:39 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
He didn't belt anybody, he didn't crash into parked cars, he didn't lie to the club - fine and community service and move on.

Please don't give him any ideas. He's already checked two of those items off his bucket list.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:54 pm

K wrote:
Damien wrote:

Therein lies a problem.
See e.g.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-players-may-face-increased-codeofconduct-fines-20171101-gzcxgx.html

Yes you’re right. I’m all for picking up players from other clubs who are clearly good footballers on the basis that they mature and realise they need to knuckle down. History is littered with examples where this has worked and plenty where it hasn’t too. For us the situation is this: we need to get maximum value out of him this year and the decide if we keep him. I know he’s young but At the moment I see him as a thickhead who will never learn. He needs to convince his teammates and all of us otherwise. I’d expect the coaches should make him train to the point of exhaustion daily, mostly alone (until he’s chucking up) for the next three weeks. By the sounds of Goldy’s Comments he needs it anyway. Do all this shit off the radar. If he cares about his career, teammates and Coach like he claims (I’ll never let you down Bucks) he’ll be a willing participant. It’ll get him fit and then he can start repaying all of us by playing good football. Stuff the AFLPA agreement. If he has any ticker he’ll cop it. If he’s not prepared to agree personally to something that may be officially outside the rules, he doesn’t want to be here and he can **** off to another club.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:08 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
Fine him, get him into some community service and move on.

Don't think .05 are our sponsors anymore. He did the right thing and let the club know.

Move on.

This is the sensible approach and the one I hope the club runs with.
Losing his license is the punishment, is it not?!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:21 pm

I suspect he'll get a 2 match suspension, imposed by the 'leadership group'. I hope it's just a fine and community service, but reckon he'll be in the stands for the first couple of weeks. He wouldn't be the first great player who is also a dickhead. Let's hope he wakes up to himself before the club loses patience and cuts him loose.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Age article (link on previous page) updated...
Quote:
It is understood he had been out with former school friends in Torquay and was dropped at his car in Port Melbourne to collect it on the way home with him believing he had sobered up enough during the journey back to Mebourne to be able to drive.
foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
0.095 is high range, with the possibility of a gaol sentence.

From a player who screwed the pooch majorly last year, and hasn't done very much in the years he has been here

If you wonder why there's a culture of 'I can do what I want' with the young players (and older club officials), look no further than some of the comments on this thread

I don’t condone drink driving for a second but 0.95 is not high range and its a first offence so the suggestion of gaol is absurd.
Rolling Eyes

0.95 would have killed him, it's 0.095. I guess the issue is not his drinking, but driving intoxicated.

I don't understand why these blokes who earn quite well (well above average for most 21 yo's) can't use a Uber or Taxi if they have a few drinks. Do they do it for the kicks?

K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:51 pm

^^^
See the quote immediately above your post. Sounds like they don't like having to pick up their cars the following day. Maybe a business opportunity: provide the option of driving people back in their own cars.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:05 pm

At least he learned something last year as he told the Club Soon as he Could without Lying about it.

Also hurts in the Pocket with his Contract Up and Seasons End

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 66 of 301   

Jump to: