Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I know! I will dial 000 when my phone stops working!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:19 pm
Post subject: I know! I will dial 000 when my phone stops working!Reply with quote

Quote:
IN WHAT could be a first, the emergency services number was called five times by a man who could not get his iPhone to work.

Michael Alan Skopec, 48, of Kendall County, Illinois, protested during his arrest that the emergency number was all his phone could dial.

"Why is my iPhone not working?” Skopec asked when an operator answered his first call, website The Smoking Gun reported.

"This has something to do with Apple, I don't know,” he added.

During his second call to 911, a patient police operator asked Skopec if he had an emergency. “Yes, I do. My emergency is my f---ing phone don’t work."

When the operator asked him for his address, Skopec replied, "One oh blah blah blah blah blah blah. Okay, you understand that?"

During his third call Skopec asked an operator: "How ‘bout I smash this phone on the floor? Why can’t I dial the numbers I used to be able to dial?"

He later wondered: "Why can’t you direct me to the AT&T people?"

The emergency operator replied, "Unfortunately, we are a 911 dispatch centre.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/the-other-side/michael-alan-skopec-called-emegency-services-five-times-because-he-could-not-work-his-apple-iphone/story-e6frfhk6-1226197585071

Yep... 911 couldn't help, but I am sure 000 are smarter and more useful. Wink

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Far from a first and doesn't only happen in America.

People call 000 for all kinds of stupid things. One dipshit I vaguely recall called multiple times looking for someone to help set up their DVD player. Colour coded holes and cables was obviously far too complex.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Which magazine was it?
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:40 pm

When you get a new phone it has to be able to dial emergancy.
000 gets a flood of accidental calls on Dec 25.
Kids trying out their presents etc.
Strange? Not really.
sq3 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:33 pm

I find this one a bit more amazing -
http://www.inquisitr.com/19230/mcdonalds-911-call/

A Florida woman called 911 three times to report that a Fort Pierce McDonald’s had run out of McNuggets. Investigators have now released the audio recordings of all three calls

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Far from a first and doesn't only happen in America.

People call 000 for all kinds of stupid things. One dipshit I vaguely recall called multiple times looking for someone to help set up their DVD player. Colour coded holes and cables was obviously far too complex.

Yeah it why was I didn't use the old "Only in America" for this one, I read it and found it funny. Not so much for the poor 911 operator. I've heard some stories of some weird 000 calls.

I've wanted to work as a dispatcher but if you are getting these kinda calls maybe no so much. Embarassed

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:19 pm

The poor buggers on the 000 line have an extremely limited brief. Their job is to ask "Police, Fire or Ambulance" and then patch the caller though to the correct area. The call should take 10 seconds or less so you get to talk to someone who's trained to ask the questions to assess your situation and send a response.

Some of the calls they get are incredible. Some people have very strange and personal definitions of what constitutes an emergency.

from peanuts wanting to connect their DVD player, to wanting to complain about TV, to wanting a tradesperson.

When there's a natural disaster like a bushfire the phones go into meltdown because so many F wits ring 000 to want to know where the fire is and how close to their house and whether they should leave or stay.
FFS, turn on the radio or TV. The poor stiffs in a call centre have no way of knowing stuff like that.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:22 pm

It's funny that we're always taught to only call 000 in an emergency. Yet, the Police seem to have a different view.
We came to work one morning and had been broken into during the night. Called the local police station, and the officer told us to call 000. The sales manager said "huh? It's not that urgent, we just need to report it". The cop was insistent, and ended up saying 'hold the line, I'll call them for you' - so he called 000 to report we'd been broken into. Shocked
Still baffles me. Hardly life & death! Maybe he was too lazy.... oops, I mean busy, to come and do it himself.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:26 pm

luvdids wrote:
It's funny that we're always taught to only call 000 in an emergency. Yet, the Police seem to have a different view.
We came to work one morning and had been broken into during the night. Called the local police station, and the officer told us to call 000. The sales manager said "huh? It's not that urgent, we just need to report it". The cop was insistent, and ended up saying 'hold the line, I'll call them for you' - so he called 000 to report we'd been broken into. Shocked
Still baffles me. Hardly life & death! Maybe he was too lazy.... oops, I mean busy, to come and do it himself.

Must have been around the time Krispy Kreme opened up...

MMM... double glazed... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: