Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cloke.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:39 am
Post subject: Cloke.Reply with quote

We all know he's struggling ATM, my question is this, if Reid was fit would Trav have a spot in our 22 on current form? Some might say play Reid down back, but what if Brown was fit as well?

On form Trav deserves to be dropped, IMO injuries to other KPPs is the only thing preventing it.

What the **** is going on with the bloke? He took one mark tonight iirc, he's been absolutely horrid this year.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you drop travis? i think the new relaxing of the rules and officiating has not helped him whatsoever. he covers a mountain of territory which few in our team can and this creates space for others. the ball also needs to delivered in front of him more often rather than on top or over his head. at every opportunity he is trying to create a contest and bring the ball to ground for others to pick up. gone are the days when there is sole reliance on cloke. we're seeing the value of jesse white, elliott is looking more dangerous and, last night, the spread of goals was very good.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:05 am

Everyone keeps saying the new rules haven't helped Cloke but I don't think he's explored them enough yet. He's not giving away many frees, he's just not getting any. I'd like to see him throw a couple of opponents to the ground, he's strong enough to do it, and see what the umpires do. Find the line in the sand (there will be one somewhere!). We know the defenders are allowed to hold and wrestle Cloke, but I haven't seen him throw anyone around yet (ala Alistair Lynch). I suspect he'll get pinged but it'd be interesting to see, you never know maybe the umps would interpret something like that as using your strength in the marking contest and if that's the case all of a sudden Cloke would benefit from the new rules.

- Ben
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:16 am

Question: Who is pretty much the only player that a negative-minded 'supporter' could complain about after a dominant win?

Answer: Thread title.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:27 am

Breadcrawl wrote:
Question: Who is pretty much the only player that a negative-minded 'supporter' could complain about after a dominant win?

Let me answer your question with a question.

How many Goal and assists did Cloke have?

He has a great contract whether he kicks goals or not. We can make all the excuses for him we want just as we did with the Rocca's but he is there to Kick Goals and Assist others to kick em.

Vic Park is calling his name!
mattys123 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:32 am

Cloke had more of an impact on that game than Riewoldt last night, anyone who didn't see that can piss off.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:33 am

Brown26 wrote:
Everyone keeps saying the new rules haven't helped Cloke but I don't think he's explored them enough yet. He's not giving away many frees, he's just not getting any. I'd like to see him throw a couple of opponents to the ground, he's strong enough to do it, and see what the umpires do. Find the line in the sand (there will be one somewhere!). We know the defenders are allowed to hold and wrestle Cloke, but I haven't seen him throw anyone around yet (ala Alistair Lynch). I suspect he'll get pinged but it'd be interesting to see, you never know maybe the umps would interpret something like that as using your strength in the marking contest and if that's the case all of a sudden Cloke would benefit from the new rules.

- Ben

Yes. And the you for a far more helpful answer

We won people
We are supposed to be 0-5 remember!

FFSEI

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:39 am

I am making the assumption that the OP never attends actual games. When at the game, it is clear to see the opposition back line forming up to counter Cloke. It leaves space for others to work in. Players like White draw a less fully defensive backman and he exploited that. Mids drop into holes around 30-40 out from goal as Cloke retreats to the goal square and drags key defenders with him. If you actually attended and watched the entire field you would see that.
I'm in no way advocating that Cloke's role is primarily that of a decoy, however it undeniable that his presence has a major impact on how the opposition structure themselves and that structuring is to our advantage.

The OP was a lazy, naive and obtusely negative view of a dominant win.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:47 am

sixpoints wrote:
I am making the assumption that the OP never attends actual games. When at the game, it is clear to see the opposition back line forming up to counter Cloke. It leaves space for others to work in. Players like White draw a less fully defensive backman and he exploited that. Mids drop into holes around 30-40 out from goal as Cloke retreats to the goal square and drags key defenders with him. If you actually attended and watched the entire field you would see that.
I'm in no way advocating that Cloke's role is primarily that of a decoy, however it undeniable that his presence has a major impact on how the opposition structure themselves and that structuring is to our advantage.

^This. Once opposition teams realise that Cloke is no longer the primary avenue to goal for us he will be freed up and will get more opportunities. Not worried about him, he's still a very important part of the team.
Magpie Jack 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:55 am

sixpoints wrote:

^ Well said. I agree with all of that

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:06 am

It could be worth giving Cloke a run in the VFL just to freshen him up and give him a confidence boost. Play Jesse White in his position and rest Grundy and Witts in the forward line.

At the moment Cloke is a head case. Sad for him, because it was by far the worst 200th game ever.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:08 am

Stupied wrote:
sixpoints wrote:

^This. Once opposition teams realise that Cloke is no longer the primary avenue to goal for us he will be freed up and will get more opportunities. Not worried about him, he's still a very important part of the team.

This, absolutely spot on.
The only thing I'd ad is that the bloke does not stop competing or working all night. Couldn't do much more in the conditions, the 2 on 1, and the delivery.

I was much happier to see our kids kicking a big score. To me we are much more dangerous with a spread of goal kickers especially mids.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:06 am

collie dog wrote:
It could be worth giving Cloke a run in the VFL just to freshen him up and give him a confidence boost. Play Jesse White in his position and rest Grundy and Witts in the forward line.

At the moment Cloke is a head case. Sad for him, because it was by far the worst 200th game ever.

There's been about 500 players play 200 AFL/VFL matches in the games history.

Did you see all of them play game number 200 or do you have the figures that prove this claim?

If not do you still stand by that statement that Travis's was the absolute worst 200th appearance of all of them based on nothing?

Or are you just making another sweeping, unsubstantiated negative statement about our club or one of our players because you are a troll who has been polluting this forum with this crap under one guise or another for years now?

I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to that by now. Never miss an opportunity to kick someone while they're down hey lady? Laughing
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:07 am

sixpoints wrote:

where are those big hands clapping!

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:17 am

Rubbish thread. Still one of our most important players in terms of our structure and diverts a lot of attention so that others can spring up.

No way he gets dropped. Even the coach finally expressed the view that he does not get looked after adequately by the umpires too.

He'll work through it. He is too good a player.

Bring Reid in u forward too and it stretches opposition defences even further and makes Travis' life easier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11   

Jump to: