Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Glad we did not Draft Jurrah

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:22 pm
Post subject: Glad we did not Draft JurrahReply with quote

This guy is a Moron and sounds like it a complete Drunk.

He beat his Wife - Bloody Pathetic

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/exafl-star-liam-jurrah-sentenced-to-threemonths-jail-for-assaulting-his-wife/story-e6frf7jo-1226910653038

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty sad situation Dave with no winners. He appears to be in freefall now but His life could have worked out totally different. Talk about sliding doors moments. I hope he can get his life and his family back together and on track.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Damien wrote:
It's a pretty sad situation Dave with no winners. He appears to be in freefall now but His life could have worked out totally different. Talk about sliding doors moments. I hope he can get his life and his family back together and on track.

Hope he does get off the Boos and get back to a better life.

Though Doubt his Dreams of playing AFL is dead now

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:29 pm

Damien wrote:

Snap. Don't know how things work out. You could debate about the experience of playing AFL and how things could have been different if he hadn't come down here, on the other hand things may have followed the same course if he never came to Melbourne, we just wouldn't know anything about it.

Young bloke, still on the precipice, still time for life to go either way. Wish for good things for him.

Beast 

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Do you guys wish well to every women beater or just Jurrah?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:15 pm

Beast wrote:

Just Jurrah and one or two others who I know personally who did something totally out of character in a specific situation. Why?

Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:33 pm

But is it totally out of character?

In light of his well documented legal troubles and his prison sentence last year a pattern seems to be forming behaviourally with Liam, sadly.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Beast wrote:

the guy has made a few mistakes in his life, a bit like Marley Williams and several other young fellas, I wish them both well.

Also I know of one person on this BB who has done a power of work to help Liam Jurrah and will be feeling pretty bad about the whole situation, including the pain and suffering that Liam's wife has obviously gone through. I'm sure he will speak for himself though...

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:39 pm

That is something I haven't heard of.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Agree on some of the comments, had his chances and blew it, no wife basher, potential axe murderer deserves a fourth chance!
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Wow ... what a surprise ....
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Flashman wrote:
But is it totally out of character?

In light of his well documented legal troubles and his prison sentence last year a pattern seems to be forming behaviourally with Liam, sadly.

Most young Aboriginal men in Alice Springs are in and out of gaol. Currently 95% of gaol inmates there are Aboriginal. From Liam's community of Yuendumu, I have come to know dozens of young men.....every single one of them have spent time in gaol. So I guess you don't have much sympathy for their plight either?

It seems to me that there are some serious systemic problems in these communities, which have resulted from the utter destruction of their former cultures and the introduction of alcohol and drugs (by whites) to a people in absolute desperate straights.

I'm not suggesting that Liam or others in his situation are not responsible for their behaviour - he has to answer for his actions and 3 months in gaol is what he will serve. However, I believe that we as a nation, as a society, should be ashamed we have allowed these whole communities to decay and rot in a vicious cycle of alcohol and drugged fueled violence.

If that's too confronting for some people, perhaps it's easier just to blame Jurrah.

Those who know me know that I'm a friend of Liam's and that will never change. Maybe he was always destined to experience this dramatic fall from grace (so to speak). However, a small part of me will always think that he would have had a much better support network around him had he been recruited by Collingwood - the club his whole family and community consider their own! Then again, if my Aunty had wheels she'd be a bike.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Having lived and worked in Darwin and in particularly Palmerston I've seen first hand the effects alcohol and violence has on the Aboriginal community up north and it isn't a pretty sight.

Friday nights (or any given night really) you'd see anything from petty vandalism to serious assaults taking place in full public view and the behaviour whilst sad and depressing was still disgusting, let's not shy away from it.

Jurrah's case has brought these issues home especially to those who may not have been exposed to them first hand and the plight of the indigenous people in Australia as a whole is a serious national issue that deserves serious and prompt action.

But I will not excuse or condone Jurrahs actions either. He's been in a situation different from many of the 95% of incarcerated who haven't had the support structures, help, guidance and opportunities that he's had available to him previously.

I don't revel in his plight and I'm not entirely unsympathetic either because Jurrah faces a lot of serious cultural issues that,whilst I've seen some of the results of them, I have no hope of understanding them either. It's just a completely different world to what we know and take for granted.
Beast 

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:38 pm

Yep, we're to blame that Jurrah has been incarcerated twice, narrowly avoided jail due to incompetence of the court, caught drink driving while disqualified, pissed away the chance to help himself and his family to break the cycle...

Perhaps it's people who repeatedly tell Jurrah "its not your fault" are responsible for his current predicament.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:57 pm

It cuts both ways I reckon. I spent a week in alice springs, and you see the poor bugger lining up each day for when they are allowed to buy booze, I think it was two hours max then no more. Pretty sad to see em drinking down by the station, many of them, just drinking themselves into oblivion. Yet, the ones who get it together do beautiful works of art for sale, both in alice and up in Darwin. Invariably they are brilliant footballers, I recall this young Jurrah took a fantastic mark a few seasons ago, against the eagles. I think blame can be laid at both sides,yes their culture was decimated, the film "Rabbit proof fence" shows the trauma they went thru, many stolen off their parents, and of course we introduced them to booze and grog. On the other hand, its up to the individual, Liam is young enough to turn it around, his behaviour has been pretty bad, so its up to him, the only way now is up. I wish him well, he has a lot of soul searching to do, perhaps he could get another shot at the League, he was brilliant, but its up to him, at the end of the day.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8   

Jump to: