Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WE NEED to boost our low Percentage NOW !!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:19 pm
Post subject: WE NEED to boost our low Percentage NOW !!Reply with quote

With a few relatively easy games now coming up, starting with the Aints this week, it really is time to boost our very modest percentage. ! Yes, there are those on here who actually, foolishly, believe % does not count for much, how deluded they are ! A healthy percentage can mean the difference between a second spot on the ladder, a home final, and fourth spot, and going interstate, to face a raging Port Adelaide perhaps ? This WILL happen if our wins equal the teams in 2, 3, spot, but our percentage is the worst of the top four. And, I would loathe facing Port on their own dunghill, second chance or not !
Its high time we poleaxed some sides, no more close wins for the next few weeks, lets smash the Aints, dogs and Great Waste of Space, by 50-80 points each, and boost our percentage, the lowest in the eight right now Exclamation Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Percentage is irrelevant. Obviously new to Nick's.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:36 pm

Dispute the notion of "easy games" in the AFL these days but the next game or 2 should certainly be less challenging. Love to get a massive % boost but the main thing is to get the 4 points. The % of the Cats, Suns and Swans is within reach, hard to see us pegging back Port or the Hawks so 3rd or 4th appear the most likely outcome if we continue winning.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:53 pm

haven't we had this conversation before?

i say it matters little and just because we want to boost it doesn't actually mean we will.

merolz 

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:56 pm
Post subject: Re: WE NEED to boost our low Percentage NOW !!Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
Yes, there are those on here who actually, foolishly, believe % does not count for much, how deluded they are !

Call me deluded then but I remain unfussed about %
Team with crap % + one extra win beats a team with ripping %
Would rather focus on structure, skills, teamwork, culture - anachronistic, I know

themonk 

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:03 pm

merolz wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Yes, there are those on here who actually, foolishly, believe % does not count for much, how deluded they are !

Would rather focus on structure, skills, teamwork, culture - anachronistic, I know

Agree 100%

We are still poor, really poor in many areas, i.e. midfield, forward line, structure & skills are all areas we need to improve in. Don't expect it to all happen over the next 3 weeks but hope to see some improvement as we work towards the finals.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:26 pm

The competition is getting more even every year and there is a good chance that come round 22 there will be 4 teams all in contention for spots 3 and 4 on the ladder.

Percentage counts if you finish on the same points and I get the feeling that this year more than ever it will decide a top 4 spot.

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:27 pm

I warned before the season started that the draw from hell would wreck our percentage. Every game we have played so far has been a similar game to last Saturday, with the opposition primed and ready for either revenge or consolidation.

Interesting, of last years top 5 we only play 3 more games, twice against Hawthorn and once against Port, so our season should get better. We have the Suns in Queensland and the Weagles in Perth, which are no means easy. but based on our performances compared to last year, we are doing OK.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:57 pm

After nine rounds we are yet to play any of the bottom five sides on the current ladder (WB, StK, Bris, GWS, Melb).
A "low" comparative percentage can be in somewhat explained by our more difficult draw so far.
Lets keep rolling along and the important thing is not to take any side for granted and just keep on winning.
Let any percentage boost look after itself as a result.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:19 pm

I don't think our forward line is good enough for us to have a percentage boosting win against any side.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:36 pm

% is very important as not only can it gain you that higher spot on the ladder, but it is also an indicator of a good side, because a side with a strong % is one capable of demolishing bottom teams and any side serious about winning a premiership should be doing just that
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:00 pm

merolz wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

+1 The effort to get 3-4 extra goals may be taxing, leaving us wanting for the next match. Prefer the 4 points and ready to go the following week.

Last edited by Mossi on Mon May 26, 2014 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:10 pm

Our percentage is ok. We've had a tough run to start the year. I'm more worried about the 4 points than the margin right now. If we keep winning then we'll hover around the top 6. If we want top 4, then we probably need to pick up the percentage a bit. But I don't think anyone truly believes we are genuinely top 4 right now.

I suppose the next month will say a lot. If we want top 4 then we need to win all the game and put some percentage on the board. Personally, I'd be happy with wins even if they are smaller ones. I think at this stage of our development we just need to win. Once our players get a bit more experienced, they will have the legs to run out games stronger and win by 60+

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Just on %, when you think about it, aussie rules footy, and percentages, is probably one of the fairest ways to work out positions on team ladders, ever devised. The more goals you kick, is balanced against, the goals you get kicked against you, thus working out that the attacking goal scoring team, with great defence, is entitled to be higher placed on the ladder. I cant think of many other games or sports in the world that use this system, and its pretty unique really, when one thinks about it. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
cloggie Libra

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:00 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Just on %, when you think about it, aussie rules footy, and percentages, is probably one of the fairest ways to work out positions on team ladders, ever devised. The more goals you kick, is balanced against, the goals you get kicked against you, thus working out that the attacking goal scoring team, with great defence, is entitled to be higher placed on the ladder. I cant think of many other games or sports in the world that use this system, and its pretty unique really, when one thinks about it. !

Goals for and against in soccer is similar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: