Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We need another key defender

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:51 am
Post subject: We need another key defenderReply with quote

I believe we need another good, solid and experienced key defender next year.

Maxy - a loyal and wonderful servant must be close to retirement but I wonder if we can convince him to go around again... it all depends on his body I guess. Form has been excellent and he provides great leadership and experience down back.

Brown is very injury prone (although very good, is only another reco away from retirement you'd reckon)

Keeffe (is still developing - still a year or two away and needs t work on his strength to take on the big forwards 1 on 1)

Toovey (excellent - say no more)

Frost (Outstanding this year and getting better by the week)

Williams (getting better and better each week as well)

Fasolo (better up forward but still needs to learn how to defend and playing him down back makes him a more honest and accountable footballer. He's still learning the role and will take a while to settle down there know where and when to defend and position himself etc)

Harry (provides excellent run off half back)

Young (needs to back himself more, although he has shown glimpses of what he's capable of. I would like it if he was more harder at the contest)

Seedsman (will be a star once he's fully fit with a few more pre-seasons and another year or two experience under his belt)

I reckon we could use one more quality and experienced defender in the mould of Brown or Maxy because we lose a great deal of experience when those two are gone from the team. Who is available via free agency? I heard a while back that Frawley from the dees was yet to sign. Could we afford to throw a few dollars at him? Anyone else? Someone we don't have to spend a lot of time waiting to develop, who can slip straight into the team and hold their own down back.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention Reid. He's the obvious choice to assume that position I've been talking about but it's clear that the club see him as more of a forward option than a backman, although he is versatile and can still play that role if needed.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:19 am

I think you can never have too many big blokes and as this years draft is supposedly chock full of them I'd be taking a couple. Obviously Moore will be one. Think we've got sufficient short term coverage to grab kids and develop them rather then sell the kitchen for a Frawley type unless you can get him for about half the $800K he's alledgedly asking.

Think we're good for covering Maxy, his footy anyway. Got Scharenberg, Oxley, and Goldsack who can play similar roles. It's his leadership that'll be missed with so many young guys in defense.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:57 am

Brown, Keefe, Frost - primarily. They've only played 2 at any time
Reid to pinch hit if required if 3 talls amongst opponents
Moore - playing quite a bit of time down back this season will be our first drafted @~200cm

Scharenberg a natural cover for Maxy as a third tall type at ~190cm
Goldsack to pich hit in a game like he did against the Eagles.

No way you'd divert significant salary cap resources to Frawley when you have things relatively well covered already.

I'm really not sure this is much of an issue.

I reckon a genuine crumber up forward or a 25y.o. ruckman are more pressing requirements.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:29 am

Forgetting someone?

Langdon is currently 12th in the AFL for Rebound 50s, 37th for Marks and has average of 18.7 disposals.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:51 am

Wokko wrote:
Forgetting someone?

Langdon is currently 12th in the AFL for Rebound 50s, 37th for Marks and has average of 18.7 disposals.

The future defence will be built around Keeffe, Frost, Scharenberg, Seedsman and Langdon. The 'smalls' will be from amongst Williams, Young, Sinclair and Broomhead. We seem to have all bases covered imo.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:57 am

Wokko wrote:
Forgetting someone?

Not in my case, as the 'brief' was key backs.
He can definitely be part of the backline mix though.
Good poise, good skills. Great pick up thus far for pick 65.
Hine has a good eye. I remember reading feedback that Langdon was 18th on our list of all comers from the last draft, hence we thought we'd be mad to overlook him when he was still available at 65 despite the fact that we had planned on drafting only 2 live picks.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Good thread, WarrenerraW. I'm with the others though: I don't reckon an (expensive) experienced backman is something we need. The kids are doing brilliantly - Frost, Keefe, Langdon, Seedy, Williams: all good'uns and by the time next year rolls around they'll all be that much better for the experience, but all young enough to still have that extra edge of enthusiasm. Throw in Tooves - practically a veteran by our standards - and experienced half-back/wing types in Young and Hertier, and I reckon we can enter the post-Maxwell era with confidence. And there is always Brown if he can get fit and force his way back in. Brown is our best to take the old-fashioned gorilla forward, but young Frost is growing into the role so fast that even for this task he might be our #1 choice before too long. (He's already our best for the more mobile, athletic key forwards, with Keeffe a more than handy sidekick.)
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:09 pm

So would James Frawley help this?
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:16 pm

I think our list and spread of player types is in remarkably good shape across the board. We've had more than our share of injuries this year and players out of form yet we're travelling pretty darn well.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:35 pm

Well, lets say we had to bring in 1 only experienced walk up 22 starter for 2015 - Would it be a key defender?
Perhaps. It would certainly sure things up, give Keeffe/Frost some relief AND let Reid off the leash!
Of course if all of a sudden we had another proper key forward, that would also provide new & improved dynamics for the team.
Midfielder??.. Can't have enough of those and as lucky as we are to have 3 absolute guns in Pendles, Swan & Beams - It does drop off after that!
Ruck?.. If we're talking about a walk up #1 ruck he'd have to be the best in the business.

I think overall, we're in a pretty good/even position at the moment!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:36 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Forgetting someone?

The future defence will be built around Keeffe, Frost, Scharenberg, Seedsman and Langdon. The 'smalls' will be from amongst Williams, Young, Sinclair and Broomhead. We seem to have all bases covered imo.

Agree. Add Brown and we're good the next couple of seasons. That's why I was suggesting Moore +1 KPP. These guys can take time and I think we need to have players developing in these positions. Wouldn't hurt the VFL team either having a couple of KPP types to select, cupboard is pretty bare at the moment on the back of a few injuries.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Frawley from the Demons will be a prefect fit.
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:05 pm

^^ If it wasn't for the ridiculous price tag, I would agree.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:11 pm

Culprit wrote:
Frawley from the Demons will be a prefect fit.

He's be a great fit.....but then so would Dangerfield! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: