Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Need for new Stadium in Waverley

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:25 pm
Post subject: Need for new Stadium in WaverleyReply with quote

It is about time the AFL and the Victorian Government came clean and recognised the sale of VFL Waverley was the worst decision made in football in the last 30 years. The demographic centre of Melbourne is now Glen Waverley. The need for a stadium out there is so bloody obvious it is ridiculous me even asking why they ditched it in the first place. Imagine a stadium where night football could be played again, plenty of car parking existed, was walking distance to public transport, and located where the new population centre of Greater Melbourne actually is. The problem with the MCG and the other corporate prostitution (changed name every few months) stadium are, is they are displaced from the main population synergies are. These two stadiums are located where mostly asians live. And guess what they don't follow our football code. They sit in their studio apartments in the foul mass density high rise towers built purposely for them and we go and concentrate our AFL stadiums next to them. How dumb! I used to love VFL Park. Great stadium built by the visionary Sir Kenneth Luke for footy fans. Night footy out was awesome. Pies and beer was always affordable and the dinning facilities were splendid. VFL Park members used to get great access to finals series tickets and enjoyed a non rip subscription that really was good value, unlike the rip off modern AFL membership offspring today. So lets reclaim Waverley and build another stadium out there somewhere before it is too late and we lose all our land to the tsunami of asian investors and their grubby real estate agent mates.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Walking distance to public transport??? Have you ever gone to Waverley? Your asian comments are just ignorant... methinks you are just missing the old days when Bertha let you out at night - those days are long gone Hiss - back under the thumb for you old boy!
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:33 pm

VFL Park was a cold, soulless hole. Just like Geelong.
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:54 pm
Post subject: YesReply with quote

yin-YANG wrote:
Walking distance to public transport??? Have you ever gone to Waverley? Your asian comments are just ignorant... methinks you are just missing the old days when Bertha let you out at night - those days are long gone Hiss - back under the thumb for you old boy!

Well as you are asian I would expect you would defend the disgraceful ghetto's built to house them like pigeons. You should stop attacking my wife and stick to the topic about the location of the stadium in Greater Melbourne. Pot calling the kettle black here with your ignorant fraudulent response Mr Wong or Yang or Yin or whatever you are.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:10 pm
Post subject: Re: Need for new Stadium in WaverleyReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
The demographic centre of Melbourne is now Glen Waverley.

Actually been the demographic centre for decades Hiss but don't let the facts start to bother you now after all these years.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:14 pm

Nah, smart move by the VFL/AFL to flog it. Etihad, even though I'm not a fan, is 1000% better than old waverly park.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:21 pm

sigh. we need waverly no more than bertha needs another doughnut or your being allowed up for air.

many asians love our sport. might help if you get to a game once in a while. the demographic of the crowd is pretty diverse.

SteveH67 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:09 pm
Post subject: Re: YesReply with quote

[quote="Hiss"][quote="yin-YANG"]Walking distance to public transport??? Have you ever gone to Waverley? Your asian comments are just ignorant... methinks you are just missing the old days when Bertha let you out at night - those days are long gone Hiss - back under the thumb for you old boy![/quote]

Well as you are asian I would expect you would defend the disgraceful ghetto's built to house them like pigeons. You should stop attacking my wife and stick to the topic about the location of the stadium in Greater Melbourne. Pot calling the kettle black here with your ignorant fraudulent response Mr Wong or Yang or Yin or whatever you are.[/quote]

You silly old right wing fart, VFL Park was a terrible ground to watch footy from in the middle of winter.

Glad they tore it down, and built Etihad stadium.

Typical pathetic conversative tribble about people from ethnic backgrounds too.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:11 pm

I loved Waverley.

Instead of getting rid of it in exchange for a poorly suited 'boutique' stadium they should've finished it off and turned it into a showpiece. Imagine, no bad stadium deals imposed on clubs, cheaper access for fans and the MCC couldn't hold the AFL to ransom.

Mind you I guess it was inevitable. It was an awfully long way to drive from Toorak and South Melbourne. You can't impose that kind of hardship on the commissioners.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:20 pm

The good thing about being stuck in the Waverley car park was being able to quietly digest the after-match summaries which, unlike up here, went until 6pm at least. Try doing that catching a train or tram from the MCG. I was lucky, I never saw Collingwood lose at Waverley, but I witnessed some fantastic games over the years

The problem is that the game has changed from a Saturday afternoon game to a winters night game. The thought of driving back in the fog and the rain after playing vehicle lotto in the car park at 11pm does not give me great joy. Like Vic park and the 2 mile hike from the brewery it is best kept in the past.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Etihad >>>>>> Waverly. Having two world class stadiums in our capital city is great and very convenient.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:26 pm

For once I agree wholeheartedly with Hiss, hes spot on. For many years, we lived in walking distance of ol Waverley park, and we loved it, took my kids there many times when they were little tackers. great ground for families, kids, you could have a kick on the ground post game, and hes right, food and drink was well priced. Waverley would have survived, had the govts of the time, put rail line out there, which was promised for years and years, but was reneged on. It also would have survived if gutless saints had not let hawthorn down, and pissed off to the eithad shithole, jeezus, you guys reckon Waverley was cold and soulless, it had nothing on the eithad shithole, it gets freezing in there, no soul either. Hes also right, in that areas like Cranbourne, narre warren, Pakenham, hallam, Waverley, even out our new way, Ringwood, boronia, mt evelyn, Bayswater, all are growth corridors, if Waverley was still open, and could hold 100K seated, itd be packed out every week. Yes Hiss, its the worst decision the League ever made, thanks to that wanking prick Jackson, who pissed off back to SA after the bastard killed Waverley, have not seen the mongrel dog since either. Even in its final year, Waverley park was pulling crowds of 60-70 000, per week, which craps on the Etihad shithole. Imagine the crowds now, with the massive growth corridor of population that has exploded out there. !!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Quote:
However, in 1982/1983 when the extensions were due to commence, the Government of Victoria refused to approve the plans for the upgrade because it would have threatened the Melbourne Cricket Ground's right to host the VFL Grand Final (the league owned VFL Park had originally been built with the intent of replacing the MCG as the permanent home of the Grand Final, but the Government, with interests in the MCG, refused to allow its capacity upgrade). Hence, no further development ever occurred and the capacity was set at just over 100,000 patrons (later reduced to 78,000).

Labor corruption killed Waverley. Would've been the center piece for VFL/AFL football and one of the largest stadiums in the world. A rail link + a 150k+ capacity would've made it an amazing ground. Alas, we were left with a cold, obsolete stadium that wasn't allowed to be upgraded. Almost as sad as losing the suburban grounds. I think our game is in good shape, but the dreams of the early 80s would've been so much bigger coupled with the AFL expansion in the late 80s.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Wokko wrote:
Quote:
However, in 1982/1983 when the extensions were due to commence, the Government of Victoria refused to approve the plans for the upgrade because it would have threatened the Melbourne Cricket Ground's right to host the VFL Grand Final (the league owned VFL Park had originally been built with the intent of replacing the MCG as the permanent home of the Grand Final, but the Government, with interests in the MCG, refused to allow its capacity upgrade). Hence, no further development ever occurred and the capacity was set at just over 100,000 patrons (later reduced to 78,000).

Labor corruption killed Waverley. Would've been the center piece for VFL/AFL football and one of the largest stadiums in the world. A rail link + a 150k+ capacity would've made it an amazing ground. Alas, we were left with a cold, obsolete stadium that wasn't allowed to be upgraded. Almost as sad as losing the suburban grounds. I think our game is in good shape, but the dreams of the early 80s would've been so much bigger coupled with the AFL expansion in the late 80s.

Actually, both sides of politics let Waverley down, when Kennett came in, he promised the rail line etc, and years later when Bracks came in, pre election he also promised to keep it functioning, build the rail link out there. It never happened, mores the pity, Kenneth luke, the far sighted Demetriou of his time, thought up Waverley, and he was way ahead of his time. Rolling Eyes Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:41 pm

I loved Waverley, was close to home, bench seating heaps of leg room, used to kick the footy on the ground until it got dark, then 20 mins in the car to get home. good old-fashioned footy ground. the REAL fans would go to Waverley and brave the elements for the love of the game, while the toffs would complain about the travel and the wind chill.

not sure about the Asian rant, but whenever I try to talk to these people in normal conversation they are scared stiff. must be a cultural thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: