Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who would we offer up for trade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:29 am
Post subject: Who would we offer up for tradeReply with quote

I know it's early but lately reading posts in the match day I've noticed how many opinions have various players unlucky not getting a game in the seniors.
Brroomhead, Kennedy, Martin etc sitting idle in the seconds I wondered who we might offer up for trade if the right player become available.
It appears likely dangerfield will stay with the crows, Frawley is off to the hawks if reports are true and gibbs will take any offer he can get (he's played his one good game for the decade) so there might not be as much top end talent available as first thought.
I've posted before that David Mundy might be available but is he a required player on our list.
Cameron from GWS may become available as they still have Boyd and Paton and are in need of outside mids and link players.
But this bring me to th origin of this post. Who would we be comfortable with offering as trade bait.

Below I will mention in no particular order players who might be offered up. This is only my opinion and I know many may disagree but if we could secure a Cameron or a Frawley what would we be prepared to offer up.

In the case of Cameron GWS would want 1 established player and either a first round pick or another player with a upside.
So would we offer up a Fasalo or Sidebottom with maybe a Kennedy or Martin ? With our depth of young talent coming through (we still haven't played either of our first round picks from the last draft) and this draft is apparently stacked full of talls (assuming we take Moore with our 1st round pick) would we offer a Fasalo or sidebottom ?
Well maybe Faz as he seems to be the sort of player when his best is very good but his bad is exactly that. Maybe playing on a list where they could use him as a small forward all the time would help his game.
I don't see us giving up Sidebottom unless it was the deal of the century. Now I have recently been critical of sidey but this is more to do with his inconsistency in performance quarter by quarter as I like everyone else on here know how good he can be. I find him one of those players who can frustrate you. There is no doubt he is a real talent but if you compared his development to Beams (taken in the same draft and played similar games) you would say he hasn't reached the same level as Beams. Yes I know they play different roles in the side but who is more valuable And consistent week in week out ?
The fringe players like Broomhead, Kennedy, Martin, Adams, Taylor etc might be looking for a chance elsewhere so the smart thing would be to get the best return on our investment from it.
I don't for one second want any of the above players to leave but when you have a strong list and young players not getting a regular game they may want to leave just for the chance of playing regular AFL level football.
Maxy and Ball are close to the end (Maxy form this year has been nothing short of sensational and he may go on) but I think we have those areas covered.
We are not short of quality mids with Pendles in his prime and Beams not 25 yet and a host of young players coming through.
If this draft is full of talls do we just draft for the future with Moore and another fantastic Hine selection (ie a Beams at 29) or do we look to get a Cameron ?

I open for opinions and or critiscm but I think this is an interesting time for us.
I honestly believe our premiership window is opening quicker than I expected (I thought 2015/16 would be the beginning of our window) I didn't allow for the fantastic talents of frosty or Langdon coming to the fore so quickly.
If we believe we are a real chance in 2015 onwards but need 1 KPP or another specific type would we trade away a Fasalo or sidebottom plus a fringe player to ensure we are a real threat ?
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's an interesting topic but my only criticism is the timing. Mention blokes we might target from elsewhere sure. But some of the Collingwood players you mention might play every game for the rest of the season for all we know, including a premiership all going well. You just never know what might happen with injuries and form etc. a week is a long time in footy let alone 14 weeks. We've got a flag to win and you can't go deep into September without a deep list so trades are the furthest thing from my mind.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:11 am

Cameron would definitely worth going hard at the trade table for. Personally I'd be happy if the Pies offered both Sidebottom and Fasolo, plus most likely our second rounder, for Cameron. Sibottom's a wonderful player, and at times very under appreciated, who'll no doubt become elite at some point while Fasolo has some real x factor to his play. Given that with the players drafted over the last few years both are expendable and the Pies are crying out for another elite forward.
If Cameron was to become a Pie it would be a forward line consisting of Cloke, Cameron and White, which would mean Reid would be able to return to the back line giving us Brown, Frost, Reid and Keffe as our talls to choose from in the back line. Given how injury prone Brown and Reid have been recently having four big defenders to choose from isn't such a bad idea.
A player I personally would love for the Pies to target would be Cam McCarthy from the GWS list. In my view I think the skies the limit for this guy and he could very well end up bent better than the other three established forwards already on their list. He'd be cheaper to get at the trade table but the downside is that he'd likely be a season or two away from really hitting his straps whereas Cameeron's ready now.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:24 am

GWS don't need Mids.
They have plenty with depth playing NEAFL that can't get a game.
In fact I believe we are right into one of their mids ATM and he is listening to offers from us and one other club.
Would love Cameron but it ain't gonna happen.
What GwS want is tall defenders. They have depth across every other line.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:14 am

MJ23 wrote:
GWS don't need Mids.
In fact I believe we are right into one of their mids ATM and he is listening to offers from us and one other club.

and which mid might that be that we're keen on.....?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:32 am

Damien wrote:
Yeah it's an interesting topic but my only criticism is the timing. Mention blokes we might target from elsewhere sure. But some of the Collingwood players you mention might play every game for the rest of the season for all we know, including a premiership all going well. You just never know what might happen with injuries and form etc. a week is a long time in footy let alone 14 weeks. We've got a flag to win and you can't go deep into September without a deep list so trades are the furthest thing from my mind.

Fair point Damien it just happened to be on my mind due to the amount of opinions on who should or could or would be worthy of a game each week.
Agreed there a lot of footy to be played but I'm sure our club like every other would be looking inwards and outward to see who is staying and going.
laird 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:34 am

WarrenerraW wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
GWS don't need Mids.

Hopefully Treloar. Absolute gun in the making!

MJ23 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:40 am

laird wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
GWS don't need Mids.

Hopefully Treloar. Absolute gun in the making!

Not Treloar.
Can't say yet but he is very good and is a starting mid.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:02 am

Agree, Someone luke Kyle Martin could very easily be Traded.

Kennedy and Broomhead would not be Traded as the are still too New

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:59 am

I don't think there's anyone who'd be considered "trade bait".

All of our players who are on the edge of selection are in their first or second year at the club, and there wouldn't be any thought of discarding them at this stage. Moving players on well before they hit their prime is madness, and usually only happens with discontents. Even for older players, it is very rare for a player who is happy and performing well to be moved on, so very little chance of someone like Sidebottom being traded either.

The only trade(s) we'll do is if there is a player available that would make a difference. In that case, depending on where he plays and how good he is, pretty much anyone could be tradeable.

I can't see us moving many, if any, players at the end of the year. We'll likely look more to free agency than the trade table. We have a young list with very good depth, we simply don't have the need to make moves.

And Martin is not easily tradeable as he has little value.

Last edited by AN_Inkling on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Agree, Someone luke Kyle Martin could very easily be Traded.

Kennedy and Broomhead would not be Traded as the are still too New

Can we even trade someone on the rookie list? Don't they have to be on the main list to be able top be traded?

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:51 pm

Cant see us getting Cameron they will want our first draft pick plus a good player.
F/S Moore will require our first round pick.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:02 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I don't think there's anyone who'd be considered "trade bait".

All of our players who are on the edge of selection are in their first or second year at the club, and there wouldn't be any thought of discarding them at this stage. Moving players on well before they hit their prime is madness, and usually only happens with discontents. Even for older players, it is very rare that a player who is happy and performing well to be moved on, so very little chance of someone like Sidebottom being traded either.

The only trade(s) we'll do is if there is a player available that would make a difference. In that case, depending on where he plays and how good he is, pretty much anyone could be tradeable.

I can't see us moving many, if any, players at the end of the year. We'll likely look more to free agency than the trade table. We have a young list with very good depth, we simply don't have the need to make moves.

And Martin is not easily tradeable as he has little value.

Agree!
derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:12 pm

It is all 'Pie in the sky' pardon the pun Laughing .

To be honest, GWS would not give Cameron up cheap...you always have to remember their would be 17 other teams aside from ourselves after Cameron...and willing to offer ALLOT. And in that case we would lose out to a side that wanted him more. And rightly, i would hope Collingwood would not 'give up the farm' to get him.

As was very correctly pointed out GWS would not want Mids. Nor key forwards....they would want backs.

Most likely, they would want Ben Reid (+ a second round pick) .....IF it ever came to such a trade Collingwood would have to look at Reid's injuries vs Cameron's scope for improvement....and i would actually consider it (simply based on the facts we could cover the loss of Reid...not to say that we don't need him) But I am not Collingwood.

People may jump on me for this....but I am just putting up a realistic trade.... Faz would not cut it....he is in and out of the team.....they are going to want a proven performer. Sidey is a mid....they won't want him.

Teams today will only trade for a "win - win" ... GWS are astute ...Not Freo circa 2006.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Need to trade Grundy urgently, while he still has some currency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: