Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Expectations v Reality

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:11 am
Post subject: Expectations v RealityReply with quote

This past loss has had me thinking that there is a big difference between the expectations of many against the reality of where we are actually at.

So below I'll list some real big myths that appear at the moment

1- Collingwood to win premiership in 2014

Expectation is we should win one every couple years

Reality is we off loaded in the past 2yrs 1000 games of experience and last week had another 700 games of experience on the wide line. Take 1700 games out of the hawks swans Geelong and see where there situated

2- We should smash every side out of the 8 by 100 or more

Expectation that we have the fire power to murder sides out of the 8 each week we play them

Reality our forward line structure this year (preseason) was to play Cloke, White & Reid forward. 12 rounds in and we still haven't had them on the field together. Cloke's form has been down but last 2 weeks started to look better. But with no other tall marking target (all due respect to Elliot who has done well) we are one dimensional.

3- Pressure and squeeze the life out of sides

Expectation is we can do this every week

Reality is that is a very hard game plan and when you throw into the mix how young our side has been most weeks it gets harder. Not having brown and Maxy in our back line week in week out has hurt. Frosty and Langdon have done a great job and in years to come these games now will pay off big time for us. Marley had a late start to the year and is still playing catch up. Forward pressure has been stop start I think not having Goldy there hurts as he adds that extra. Blair has been quiet most of the year and his major job is to pressure in the forward line has been limp

Look it's hard to sit on the weekend and watch us play below our ability.
Since the bye we have been down on our pre bye form.
Yes we have won 2 games but when the acid was put on us we looked tired and had no run
Simply if we had Maxy and Brown last weekend we win. Jones wouldn't get near it like he did
Reid forward taking pressure off Cloke and we are a better side by 3 or 4 goals easy
Missing Beamer and Sidey last week hurt us deeply. Add Swanny lack of form this year and our output has been down. Pendles and Beamer have been carrying the mid field all year. Ball looks at the end, Adams is still learning slowly, Thomas is getting there slowly as well.
Simple fact is Witts, Grundy, Langdon, Frost, Adams, Thomas, Seedsman, Williams are all in the first full year in the AFL. None have played 20 games yet. 2yrs time this experience will pay off but at the moment there kids playing in a side that has had experienced players out injured so they have been under pressure from day 1

All isn't lost far from it actually we are 8-4 even by my lower standards I see us wining another 6 games and making the 8 in around 5th or 6th. Not a bad effort for a developing side getting games into young players IMO
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wasting your time. Too many posters don't rate our players and/or don't respect our opponents.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:34 am

jackcass wrote:
Your wasting your time. Too many posters don't rate our players and/or don't respect our opponents.

True jackass but I appreciate what my fellow banana bender has said.

+1

I said it pre season and I'll say it again making the eight and playing a final would be a great achievment for this year and this developing squad.

Losing against the bulldogs was very disappointing because most feel we could have played beams and and we had a few passengers who's weren't kids. But expectations to this point have really been exceeded IMO.

The future is still bright.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:36 am

I have Calculon (not Bender) as my avatar because an avatar of a red light is not very interesting and because my creator thought that it would really piss the Futurama purists off. My role here is to distract and diffuse and the avatar helps.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:12 am

September Zeros wrote:
jackcass wrote:

+1

I said it pre season and I'll say it again making the eight and playing a final would be a great achievment for this year and this developing squad.

Losing against the bulldogs was very disappointing because most feel we could have played beams and and we had a few passengers who's weren't kids. But expectations to this point have really been exceeded IMO.

+1 in every respect.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:16 am

I have Calculon (not Bender) as my avatar because an avatar of a red light is not very interesting and because my creator thought that it would really piss the Futurama purists off. My role here is to distract and diffuse and the avatar helps.
Museman 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:18 am

expectations change Surprised

I suppose as does reality.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:25 am

Museman wrote:
expectations change Surprised

I suppose as does reality.

True. And nothing wrong with either reality or having expectations.

The problems I have are with totally unrealistic expectations (like winning each game by over 10 goals etc.) which inevitably set us all up for failure. Rolling Eyes
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:27 am

jackcass wrote:

I think part of the problem is that some here overate our players and underrate the opposition. Rolling Eyes
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:46 am

Too many people think we're at the 2010/11 stage of the premiership clock when we're more like '08/'09. Getting to a prelim would be a credit or distinction for the year. Making top 4 and going out in straight sets or finishing 5-8 and losing a semi would be a bare pass.

Also, every team loses to a team they shouldn't at some point in the year. I remember us flogging Geelong in 2008 when they were at their peak.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:50 am

September Zeros wrote:
jackcass wrote:

+1

Yeah, wasn't disagreeing with the post, just a bit sick of the vitriol of so called supporters.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:21 am

Wokko wrote:
Too many people think we're at the 2010/11 stage of the premiership clock when we're more like '08/'09. Getting to a prelim would be a credit or distinction for the year. Making top 4 and going out in straight sets or finishing 5-8 and losing a semi would be a bare pass.

Also, every team loses to a team they shouldn't at some point in the year. I remember us flogging Geelong in 2008 when they were at their peak.

Good point wokko our window isn't open yet. We are building towards something.
My point was that we need to be realistic of where we are and understand young teams struggle at times during the season as we are now.
Pre the bye we were playing some very good physical pressure football. Young players in there first full season will always struggle to keep that up.
Give them another 2 full preseasons and another season of learning and then we can pass judgement on them.
Let's not forget we still haven't sighted our 2 first picks from last year.
I heard Leigh Matthews state in his opinion Scharenberg was a top 3 pick and didn't know how he slipped down really.
We have a big upside no doubt.
As far as lists go we are in the top 4 or 5 clubs at the moment in terms of potential. Suns and port have the same potential and at the moment port have nil injuries to key personal and the suns are similar to us in that there performances have been inconsistent but they have one G Ablett playing nearly the season of his career.
Patience and time will be the best judge we have.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:26 am

Wokko wrote:

I will never forget that match. It was the eve of my wedding. Smashed them by 86 points. Was a good weekend Wink

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:27 am

I expect to win the flag every year.

I expect to win each game every week.

I make no apologies for that.

For me following the Pies is not about calm, rational, objective analysis. I leave that for TV commentators or sports journalists....or perhaps for coaches.

For me it's about loyalty, passion and unbridled pure emotion. That's how I roll. For the record, I still think we can win the flag this year.Wink
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:35 am

RudeBoy wrote:
I expect to win the flag every year.

I expect to win each game every week.

I make no apologies for that.

For me following the Pies is not about calm, rational, objective analysis. I leave that for TV commentators or sports journalists....or perhaps for coaches.

For me it's about loyalty, passion and unbridled pure emotion. That's how I roll. For the record, I still think we can win the flag this year.Wink

I for one dont have a problem with that RB as long as you don't blame the club, coach, players, weather, umpires, media, Nick's, boot studder, the shooter from the grassy noll and the trainers for the inevitable losses during the season!! Accept it as a loss and move on.
It' this non stop blaming, sooking, whinging and whining after a loss that pisses off most of the reality based posters who try and caution against silly arrogance. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: