Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Glass half full - we are building

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richo 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:52 pm
Post subject: Glass half full - we are buildingReply with quote

I like the direction we're headed in, a very young side who look to be learning. We are not top 4 material at the moment but the signs are promising. Realistically if we can make and win a final this year then that is a step forward. We need to be aggressive in picking up another quality mid. But I think the future looks good and today's game showed patches of what we can and will be. Go pies.[/u]
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We have no classy mids coming through, they are all midget battlers. We will develop generically but ultimately other teams will go past us. I'm not convinced we will be a top 4 side any time soon. Without real class in the midfield we can't hope to have a flag successful future.

MONCO: Your life.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Today our players out due to injury really showed. Plenty of upsides with our team. A few ins next week will make a huge difference.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Didn't win a quarter against the Hawks. We're further back than we care to admit
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:13 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
We have no classy mids coming through, they are all midget battlers. We will develop generically but ultimately other teams will go past us. I'm not convinced we will be a top 4 side any time soon. Without real class in the midfield we can't hope to have a flag successful future.

Have we seen them all play? Broomhead looks a classy player. Freeman hasn't got on the park yet. Scharenberg could yet play midfield, though more likely across half back, but is said to be skilled. Seedsman is definitely a classy player as is Elliott. Fasolo also has class, and despite the misconception of some, Sidebottom does as well. So, I wouldn't say the cupboard is completely bare.

I'm completely comfortable with our game today. Not sure why anyone would have expected us to do more than we did. Last week was a very different story.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Add back Maxy, Sidey, Reid (especially Reid!!!), Goldsack, and I suspect we'd have won today. Freeman and Scharenberg may be significant upside, and ditto Adams as he matures further. Sinclair is also part of a bright future, as is Langdon. Our age demographic is not bad at all, and there is plenty of upside. I believe.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:20 pm

I think Kennedy & Martin need to be given opportunities.
Not sure Josh Thomas is giving us much & Broomy just isn't ready yet.
Could do with Sidey & Maxy coming back next week.
Is that likely to be the case? Or is Maxy out for longer?
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Don't forget we haven't seen Freeman or Scharenberg yet
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:26 pm

woftam wrote:
I think Kennedy & Martin need to be given opportunities.
Not sure Josh Thomas is giving us much & Broomy just isn't ready yet.
Could do with Sidey & Maxy coming back next week.
Is that likely to be the case? Or is Maxy out for longer?

I haven't seen the game, but just as a matter of principle, I'd persist with Broomhead for about four or five games now that we've put him in. Long-term thinking iand investment s critical, and the kid was a high draft pick who clearly has ability and will need time to find his feet. Broomhead, Scharenberg and Freeman all need to be developed (when fit) if we are to go up a level.

richo 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:32 pm

I reckon jamie elliot will develop into a fantastic midfielder and seedsman definitely has scope to work through the middle, and beamsy isn't an old man yet. These young blokes are learning from pendles and swanny, midfield will develop soon enough.
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:41 pm

We need to find a 25+ year old genuine ruckman. Grundy and Witts shouldn't be our #1 and 2 yet.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:46 pm

I agree we are definitely building. I've said at times that this year feels almost like 2010. But I've settled on it being more of a 2009. If we hadn't had the injuries we've copped we likely would have finished top 4 this year, owing to a bit of a softer draw. Dropping a couple of poor games mean we will miss top 4 and could even miss the 8, but the future still looks bright.

Our list is very young and we have some quality players who have not played much this season. I think we could be in the market for a couple of top up players in the off season and attempt to do what we did when signing Jolly and Ball. Maybe a ruck and maybe one more running mid or a forward, but it will depend on what's out there.

matrix10 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:50 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I agree we are definitely building. I've said at times that this year feels almost like 2010. But I've settled on it being more of a 2009. If we hadn't had the injuries we've copped we likely would have finished top 4 this year, owing to a bit of a softer draw. Dropping a couple of poor games mean we will miss top 4 and could even miss the 8, but the future still looks bright.

Our list is very young and we have some quality players who have not played much this season. I think we could be in the market for a couple of top up players in the off season and attempt to do what we did when signing Jolly and Ball. Maybe a ruck and maybe one more running mid or a forward, but it will depend on what's out there.

Great post
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:52 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:

Have we seen them all play? Broomhead looks a classy player. Freeman hasn't got on the park yet. Scharenberg could yet play midfield, though more likely across half back, but is said to be skilled. Seedsman is definitely a classy player as is Elliott. Fasolo also has class, and despite the misconception of some, Sidebottom does as well. So, I wouldn't say the cupboard is completely bare.

I'm completely comfortable with our game today. Not sure why anyone would have expected us to do more than we did. Last week was a very different story.

Spot on mate, my feelings exactly, we did ok out there considering whom was out, and then we lose Langdon early, nothing went right. schrenberg and freeman are top ten draft picks as yet unplayed, no other teams can boast that fact. Im ok with it, we will make the eight, get experience, and move on, our window opens wide in two seasons time I reckon, we just have to be patient. Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:52 pm

Monco Matt wrote:

Correct. I'm sorry. I can't see it Richo. And in the next couple of years Port will dominate. Sydney will keep getting all the AFL benefits (they will win the flag this year the AFL will see to that) and the Suns and GWS will come of age. We will have to get used to following the Pies like West Ham supporters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: