Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sidebottom 4 weeks, down to 3 with early plea

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Feet didn't leave the ground so he will be fine...

And he is. Thrown out.

The head is sacrosanct, unless its hits by Chris Judd, Buddy Franklin, Adam Goodes, Gary Ablett...Or any other protected species
Az 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:10 am

It was good tonight to see a media person in Gaz Lyon finally come out and say what we all know is true, that Ablett and Goodes were looked after by the MRP.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:42 am

We missed Sidey today.
Hi extra run and spread would have come in handy against the Melb tactics

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:14 pm

^^^ Three passes in the first quarter onto the chest of a leading forward in goal-kicking range would have ruined the game.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ Three passes in the first quarter onto the chest of a leading forward in goal-kicking range would have ruined the game.

Don't see how Grundy kicking and extra 2 points and 1 OOF would have ruined the game... Wink
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:51 pm

.....And now we see the inconsistency of the Match Review Panel. I really hope they give the whole thing a overhaul at seasons end.

Sidey - Fair enough.

Buddy - Two hits a year apart that are almost identical. Last year was one week. This year he gets let off?

Ballantyne - Seriously, at worse it was a free kick. But they sent him straight to the tribunal for a perfectly legitimate action.

Goodes - Should have been two weeks (like Sidey) he left the ground and made contact front on ....end of story...that was a double standard decision.

Why does it feel like the MRP is now completely ignoring common sense. And precedent? In as much as, a player in once indecent leaves the ground and collects a guy in one, gets time. Another player can do the same thing (ok you take into consideration the receiving players injuries etc) However, he walks away with nothing?

Too inconsistent.
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:02 pm

also vision from the Meyers incident:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-06-08/tempers-flare-in-fiery-melee

ended up with 45 points, what do you reckon?

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:23 pm

90% of the weighting of these decisions seems to be on the outcome, and even moreso since the Viney ruling. I don't think it's right, but it has at least been consistent over the last month or so.

I think the Viney ruling has dug a hole for the MRP. Since then it seems the number of head high hits have increased significantly, and the number of players getting off has increased even more. The AFL will surely look to clarify the rules before next season.

That Myers one though, to me, even if the outcome wasn't severe, should have been a couple of weeks. What was he doing, throwing his elbow out like that? I'm guessing though that it was rated as reckless not intentional and that the impact was seen as medium or low. Still doesn't seem right that mostly accidental hits can attract 3-4 weeks just because the opponent was unluckily injured, but crazy stuff like what Myers did is ok because he didn't inflict any damage.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:38 pm

Yes, it's a little like the punches Travis receives every time he takes a mark. It really is quite remarkable how defenders who can spoil without touching their opponent when spoiling is an option can miss the overhead ball by so much that they bruise the forward's kidneys.
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:43 pm

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
also vision from the Meyers incident:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-06-08/tempers-flare-in-fiery-melee

ended up with 45 points, what do you reckon?

When you see the indecent slowed down I agree.... Contact to the head he had intent. I am not sure what Myers record at the MPR is like but even with a clean sheet 2 down to 1 at least.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Go back to the Nick Maxwell bump in 2009 the first year he was made captain. They charged him for bumping Patrick McGinty from West Coast, was found guilty.

Maxwell was cleared on appeal so the AFL changed the rules. The head was now sacrosanct. If you hit the head in a bump, even accidentally, you will be found guilty.

Quote:
AFL moves on bump rule
February 28th, 2009
http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-moves-on-bump-rule-20091124-j89n.html

The changes mean that players who lay a bump and hit an opponent in the head, even accidentally, will be guilty of rough conduct if they have ignored options such as getting the ball themselves or laying a tackle.

Previously, the option of shepherding was available. It was the availability of this option that created the issue which culminated in the Maxwell case being overturned.

How the hell are people like Buddy, etc getting off now with nothing? Buddy's shoulder clearly connects with the guy's face.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:48 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
90% of the weighting of these decisions seems to be on the outcome, and even moreso since the Viney ruling. I don't think it's right, but it has at least been consistent over the last month or so.

I think the Viney ruling has dug a hole for the MRP. Since then it seems the number of head high hits have increased significantly, and the number of players getting off has increased even more. The AFL will surely look to clarify the rules before next season.

That Myers one though, to me, even if the outcome wasn't severe, should have been a couple of weeks. What was he doing, throwing his elbow out like that? I'm guessing though that it was rated as reckless not intentional and that the impact was seen as medium or low. Still doesn't seem right that mostly accidental hits can attract 3-4 weeks just because the opponent was unluckily injured, but crazy stuff like what Myers did is ok because he didn't inflict any damage.

Negligent and low impact, basically given him the lowest possible charge for hitting someone in the head...
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:00 pm

I cant believe Ballantyne is even been looked at, that is pathetic!However Franklin should go he was trying to line that gold coast lad for sure! but already cleared , inconsistent rubbish!

www.facebook/the hybernators
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:31 pm

I'd say something worthwhile if I could stop shaking my head In disgust at their inconsistencies long enough to see the keyboard.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:04 pm

The Goodes incident the other week was worse than Franklins IMO.

He took the opportunity to deliberately target one of the oppositions best players in Selwood, jumped, bumped and got him high.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10   

Jump to: