Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Pies v. Dockers. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
I don't know, qld - but my guess would be yes. What I have noticed is that Collingwood seems to have done very well over the last couple of seasons picking players because they had to. I admired Malthouse's coaching but always dreaded what would happen if we had to make more than two changes to the team - for whatever reason, our team then didn't adjust on the run the way it does now (even though the players Mick was able to put on the park were probably, taken as a whole, "better" than the ones in our McRae sides). Mick frequently built up the debutants but quite a few of them simply didn't live up to the hype.

Psychological support is critical in any competitive setting. It's amazing how much better people perform at whatever they are doing if they think the organization genuinely has their back.

I vividly recollect Mick Malthouse whenever the journos at a presser would talk about whose missing from ‘the best 22’ MM would always quickly snap back in his usual curt manner and say ‘the best 22 is the 22 taking the field this week’.

As for Fly not wanting to set up young blokes for failure, I reckon it’s getting harder to avoid that in the current injury crisis. Can’t see how in an ideal world he’d want Will Parker debuting after 5 games in four years (or whatever it is). Credit to our conditioning staff for whatever they’ve done to get him to this point in such a short time.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:34 pm

If Will Parker shows a bit, given the plaudits, I wonder what a couple of years down the line looks like.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:35 pm

In: Allan, Parker, Dean, Mihocek, McCreery
Out: De Goey (abdomen), McInnes (concussion), Hoskin-Elliott (hamstring), Markov (personal commitment), Macrae (omitted)

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1561109/team-selection-five-in-for-friday-night-footy
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:39 pm

Milestone: Lachie Schultz - 100th game.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:40 pm

With the amount of injuries we have how does Finlay Macrae get omitted?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:43 pm

Macrae omitted with our injuries doesn't bode well for his future.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:43 pm

stoliboy wrote:
With the amount of injuries we have how does Finlay Macrae get omitted?

Cause his papers couldn’t be more stamped.
If I’m honest I didn’t think he was that good against the Eagles despite kicking 3 and really non effective last week.
Simply won’t make it.

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:46 pm

Not sure why Macrae was omitted. can only guess he didn’t apply enough pressure and tackles against the crows and with Beau back in and the shuffle of bods to cover WHE, he was last man standing.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:58 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Macrae omitted with our injuries doesn't bode well for his future.

Too many similar players is his problem. This could be a case of tough love. He’s saying he loves the club and wants to stay, well let’s see how much he wants it. Could be the making of him or could be that his papers ARE stamped. It’s up to him now. Fight for a spot or go to a lower club for a regular game… Like Ollie Henry did.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:16 pm

From the outside looking in, Macrae seems to be judged on a different criteria to others.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:16 pm

I've been skeptical about Fin Macrae's worth for quite some time, yet I've always hoped he'd prove me wrong. The kid deserves credit for becoming a Pies player and for giving his all, both in the VFL and AFL. However, he just doesn't seem to have anything special to offer. He is not lightning fast, he seems to lack elite foot skills, and although being quite competitive, he is not a tackling beast a la Schultz, Sullivan or McCreery. In short, he has proved himself to be a very good VFL player, but seems to lack the extra skills necessary to make a successful AFL player. Once again, as I've said before, I hope I'm wrong and he manages to secure a senior berth in our team, but given he's now been dropped, I suspect this will be his last year with us.

I'm pleased to see Dean and Checkers come into our side. It makes us look physically stronger. Despite missing JDG, Elliott, WHE and Howe, I am actually reasonable confident we can win tomorrow. Like others, I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing how our new debutants fair in the heat of battle.

Pies by 14 points.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:50 pm

I think Charlie Deans inclusion is a significant sub plot in all the changes this week. Based on his last month in the VFL, he’s clearly a better player than his first game earlier in the season. I’m quite excited to see how he goes as it’s always that bit easier to measure one on one contests between key position players than it is midfielders and flankers swapping around all over the ground.
Maybe, just maybe, with the cupboard so bare and Dean selected, could we see Frampton take on a forward role this time around. Sean Darcy’s inclusion might suggest not but we’ve never been afraid to play shorter in the backline against taller opposition.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:57 pm

^ yeah, I kinda would have liked to have seen Mase dropped this week. His form over the past month has been horrible
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:50 pm

I'm excited about our recent form with the changes in personnel. Especially how well; Sullivan, Richards & Harrison all showing some touch.
Throw in Pendles in some very nice form, Sidey getting some good ball, the Q returning to form and Crispy on the up.

I'm as excited as I was in Flys 1st season with us. Win this and as DATR said a few pages back...If we win this it will scare the competition.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:21 pm

^
Agree with you Rudeboy on Macrae. We want hm to do well but he just never grabs it with two hands. If it's possible to have a lucky 3 goal game he did so against the Eagles and as stated, he lacks any significant single strength that separates itself from another. At least he is contracted for next year giving us some George Costanza hand!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10   

Jump to: