Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Age Breaking Story: Swan Attends Gatto Pizza Party

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said, uncanny. A fair and common sense response that unfortunately tends to get shouted down by the professionally judgemental (as if the self-righteous in the media and the general public are pure as the driven snow). What's wrong with a little empathy?

Last edited by David on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:58 pm

Gone from Front Page news too Not even a Mention in under 12 hours
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Well we can thank Essendon for blowing this story off the news pages forever. All the papers will be full of Essendon and ASADA tomorrow. Laughing
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:44 pm

It is not a "moral" question. Everyone has the right to associate with whomever they wish ...unless they are an AFL player. Perceptions can kill. No AFL club can retain its reputation, and sponsors, if its players are in any way associated with disreputable figures. And every AFL player knows that their actions, their every move, will be ruthlessly scrutinized by a parasitic media desperate for profits with lurid stories of AFL players' misdemeanours. That is part of the price of being an AFL star.
Dayne Swan could easily have anticipated that some media outlet would be tracking his attendance at a Gatto owned pizza restaurant, with Mick Gatto in attendance. He should not have gone for this reason alone. It brings unfavourable media attention to our club, and it has the potential to destabilize relations between our players.
Moreover, it seems that Dayne Swan did not tell the truth about who organized the event, further darkening and destabilizing the situation.
I am disappointed, and hope that Dayne Swan will learn from this episode and steer clear from any such engagments in the future.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:44 pm

collie dog wrote:
Well we can thank Essendon for blowing this story off the news pages forever. All the papers will be full of Essendon and ASADA tomorrow. Laughing

Dont you mean the Pepitde Bombers Wink

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:46 pm
Post subject: HmmmmmReply with quote

Mick Gatto does an enormous amount of work for charity and other good causes. He was a fantastic boxer in his time as well. Wish the media would stop making him out to be some sort of gangster. He is a hard working aussie just trying to get on with his life. This story is a big so what!!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
It is not a "moral" question. Everyone has the right to associate with whomever they wish ...unless they are an AFL player. Perceptions can kill. No AFL club can retain its reputation, and sponsors, if its players are in any way associated with disreputable figures. And every AFL player knows that their actions, their every move, will be ruthlessly scrutinized by a parasitic media desperate for profits with lurid stories of AFL players' misdemeanours. That is part of the price of being an AFL star.
Dayne Swan could easily have anticipated that some media outlet would be tracking his attendance at a Gatto owned pizza restaurant, with Mick Gatto in attendance. He should not have gone for this reason alone. It brings unfavourable media attention to our club, and it has the potential to destabilize relations between our players.
Moreover, it seems that Dayne Swan did not tell the truth about who organized the event, further darkening and destabilizing the situation.
I am disappointed, and hope that Dayne Swan will learn from this episode and steer clear from any such engagments in the future.

Your take would have a little more credibility if you could spell our Brownlow medallist's name correctly.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:01 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Doesn't seem a non-story to me. Seems Swan did something stupid.

+1

Not happy about it at all.

Gatto was charged with murder and no doubt responsible for orchestrating more.

You only have to listen to the chief commissioner of police (who would know full well what type of individual Gatto really is) that he isn't a figure to be admired and people like Swan and other AFL players should stay well away from people like them and stop trying to be some gangster wannabee.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:49 pm

Harrysz wrote:
Yet another Caroline Wilson muckraking beatup.
She's had Swannie in her sights for ages. Now she thinks she's got something. Good luck!
Neil Appleby's admiration for Caro mystifies me but each to their own.

Caro was one of three journalists on this that I read. The main attribution went to Nick McKenzie a recent Walkey award winner for investigative journalism on the underworld etc. In the main I thought as he has been dealing with underworld figures, "colourful identities" etc.

The fact that the Age got to the story ahead of News Limited is neither here nor there.

As I understood it the venue had the name Gatto on it.

The AFL has cautioned footy players with whom they choose to associate. So whether it was a Carlton player or anyone else it is going to be a scoop despite (in reality) nothing to be seen here. Swan of course will attract more reaction. He seems naive or his advice was very poor.

The fact that the AFL can provide such advice or opprobrium with respect to who AFL players can associate & who they can't is a separate issue in many respects & not one created by Caro or The Age.

Swan's intentions appear genuine & Gatto on 3LO today was quite defensive. When crooks like him give character references then one has to be concerned.

However Swan hasn't done anything out of the ordinary in my view & I'm sure his motivation was innocent enough. However in this current environment it seems quite clumsy & his manager or whoever made a poor choice.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:20 am

This is clearly a media beat-up. Granted I don't think Swanny made the wise choice to attend this event without being aware that Mick Gatto would be in attendance, but nevertheless I think the reaction to all of this is over the top as he's done nothing illegal.

In reality, I couldn't care about who Swan associated with outside football just as long as it doesn't conflict with how he performs at the club on the footy field and on the training track. In this case, he hasn't done anything illegal so I can't see what the big fuss is to be honest.

Yes, Gatto has a reputation around Melbourne and while the man is hardly a saint I echo the thoughts of Flashman when describing him as 'not the worst criminal out there' so to speak as there's far worse out there and have been far worse in the past as he emphasised earlier.

All the club should do behind closed doors is just give Swanny a quiet word about being careful about who he associates with but at the end of the day it's his personal responsibility about who he associates with anyway.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:28 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:

Your take would have a little more credibility if you could spell our Brownlow medallist's name correctly.

Haha, my thoughts exactly.

Swan is not responsible for media muckraking, and should do whatever he feels like so long as it is lawful and ethical. Associating with criminalsand I'm no Gatto apologist, the guy's a crookis not a big deal unless you're committing crimes yourself. Which Swan clearly isn't. So, yeah, can we move on please?

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:40 am

O h gawd, here we go again, another caro beat up article, to beat up on the Pies. Whats up caro, the Magpies going too well for you are we, no scandals anymore, so you run with this garbage as if swannie dined with alphonse capone ?? I have not even bothered to read said article, once I found out caro had written it, that was enough to me. Shes been out to get swannie for ages, desperate old bitch, and has him in her sights. I bet the daily HUN runs with this now too, no doubt a four page thread harking back to dids an shaw, and all the past trouble of seasons ago. Yes folks, they hate us with a passion, because we are Collingwood, they hate the club and our fans, and that's the truth of the matter. **** the lot of em anyway, jealous bunch of pricks, stuff em.!!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:40 am

Oh I can hear the newsroom talk this morning.

Journalist - 34 Essendon players issued infraction notices
Robbo - yes but swan had a chance meetting with Gatto
Journalist - this is the biggest story ever in th afl
Robbo - no not even close swan went to a cafe and Gatto was there and don't forget shaw once bet $10 on a afl game he wasn't involved in
Journalist - yes but this is the careers of 34 players and the future of a club
Robbo - yes but your missing the point swan did some charity work and Gatto was there. This is bigger than any poor Essendon player taking an extra vitamin c tablet by mistake
MJ23 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:07 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Oh I can hear the newsroom talk this morning.

Journalist - 34 Essendon players issued infraction notices
Robbo - yes but swan had a chance meetting with Gatto
Journalist - this is the biggest story ever in th afl
Robbo - no not even close swan went to a cafe and Gatto was there and don't forget shaw once bet $10 on a afl game he wasn't involved in
Journalist - yes but this is the careers of 34 players and the future of a club
Robbo - yes but your missing the point swan did some charity work and Gatto was there. This is bigger than any poor Essendon player taking an extra vitamin c tablet by mistake

Spot on.
And while Caro and her mates fight to get their name in the byline one of the biggest stories ever in the AFL is missed.
Even Rebecca Wilson in syd knew more of what was going on.
( not that I like here any more than Robbo or Caro )

Flashman 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:06 am

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12   

Jump to: