Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

membership next year. ed might want to read

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

slangman wrote:
I can handle supporters complaining about ticket prices.
But buying food at the footy is not compulsory.
You can bring your own (from home) food.

I have Foxtel and a membership. All depends on how you prioritise whats more important.

Of course it isn't, but it should be by choice without getting bent over because you feel like something hot on a cold day.
Going to the footy is also a choice & people are talking with their feet this year.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:57 pm

The match Scheduling is the issue. The Food and Drink prices have always been expensive and is really a non issue. Our group now catches up before the game either at a pub or in the car park. We bring our food in hot or cold and our drinks.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Plus our Game Day Crap Pissed me off.

The Dancing before games is Embrassing and all the Hug/Kiss is Cringworthy

Brenny 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:04 pm

I think something to remember is, in the past we have had a very good run with scheduling. We have had prime time slots for years and minimal games on Foxtel. All of these, means people can get to games as they are favorable slots.

This year, we have something like 9 games on fox and 4 within the last 5 rounds, or something stupid.

There are people out there who would drop off memberships due to these time slots and who would get fox in replacement.

Thing is, if you love sport paying $75 a month for fox and dropping off 1 or 2 legends memberships per year pays for itself.

I love MotoGP, I love Indy Car, I love Nascar, I love the GP2, I love the Isle of Mann TT and I really love the World Endurance Championship... All of which are on Fox and I almost sit in a puddle each year when I notice Eurosport play all 24 heures Du Mans.

In all honesty, I've been going to the footy for years and it has contributed (I think) to my tinnitus but the amount of sport I get on Fox makes me think that having a footy membership is a waste of Money and time.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:22 pm

I take my kids and we do bring a lot of our own food like sandwiches, chips, lollies and drinks.

But they always want some hot food either a hot dog or chips and buying for 3 you are looking at at least $30. I can understand many people choosing to divert money to foxtel and downgrading membership, even to a 3 game to go to a few games and watch the rest at home. Plus you don't have to worry about what you say when in front of the TV in the lounge.

Last edited by Johnno75 on Sun May 25, 2014 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:23 pm

robfyffe wrote:
Umpiring. game play, food and drink prices, reserved seats for games that don't sell out, twilight and Sunday crap time matches, screaming loud MCG entertainment.
All reasons that my Home GA membership of the past seven years turned into a 3 game membership this year (having said that i've been to four games so far)
I think I've just gotten to the point where I don't enjoy going to the AFL football anymore. I like the VFL but I think the AFL might have jumped the shark in the past little while

This is actually a very good term for it.

I still love the experience of being there, but the way the game is being run at the moment is really testing me.

The scheduling is ridiculous, I really hate 4:40 games, regardless of what day, and Monday night is a disaster.

Food & parking prices are not an issue for me as I get the train, and I refuse to buy food at the game on principle. As a Legends Member, the variable ticket pricing isn't an issue, but I'm lucky that I'm the only one of my family that go. If we all wanted to go, I couldn't afford it.

I think the AFL jumped the shark with the two new sides. I know Gold Coast are going well, but we didnt need two more sides. If either of these clubs ever win a flag, who is actually going to care, and for how long?

Some of those great young players would have gone to traditional clubs that really needed them. I know we get very one eyed on here, but just imagine being a longtime Footscray, Melbourne, St. Kilda or even Richmond supporter. You would be thinking; what is the point. If we couldn't win a flag before, we have no chance now. Those people will eventually drop off. And then, what will happen to those clubs?

MattyD 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:50 pm

We downgraded from Legends to the 3-game ANZAC Day membership this year after 8 years of full club membership.

But let's be honest, if we thought Collingwood was a genuine flag contender, would we even be saying all this? Maybe, maybe not.

My decision to downgrade was definitely financial. I've been struggling bigtime and I just thought I have to cut costs and it is just too expensive now. And I have been going since the 70s.

I also know many Collingwood supporters who cannot go to the football and they can't go because they can't afford it. I have bought tickets for family and friends over the years because I know they enjoy it. But I can't afford to do it anymore and it's kind of sad to see such a great tradition within a family go out of reach because of money.

I didn't mind the 4.40 time slot on a Saturday. But anything after 2pm on a Sunday is BS.
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Brenny wrote:
^^^

The thing is, the TV stations pay over $1b for the rights. Where is the cash going to come from if not tv?

You say people need to get used to replays, then how about recording the game and watching it later?

They don't have that problem overseas as they don't just have one broadcaster doing it. For example, in all the US sports the clubs sign their own tv deals and all their games are shown on cable mostly. The free to air stations just show a "game of the week". Also the great thing about that is the clubs actually have the commentators on their own payroll and the coverage is always "press red for ed".
MattyD 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:59 pm

punkologist wrote:
Brenny wrote:
^^^

The thing is, the TV stations pay over $1b for the rights. Where is the cash going to come from if not tv?

You say people need to get used to replays, then how about recording the game and watching it later?

They don't have that problem overseas as they don't just have one broadcaster doing it. For example, in all the US sports the clubs sign their own tv deals and all their games are shown on cable mostly. The free to air stations just show a "game of the week". Also the great thing about that is the clubs actually have the commentators on their own payroll and the coverage is always "press red for ed".

I didn't know that about overseas broadcasters. All the commentators here sound so damn smug and they are actually not that good.

Supporters who pay thousands of dollars a year and have barracked for a club their whole life shouldn't have to put up with the biased and hurtful commentating that we are subjected to. (ie. that's not a free kick - every time Collingwood gets a free kick etc.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: