Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rate our midfielders not in the AFL team

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:43 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

this survey is flawed. Adams is in our current team!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:16 am

E wrote:
this survey is flawed. Adams is in our current team!

Now....
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:19 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

I counted Martin as a midfielder. Most new ones coming in do have to start outside the centre square and earn their stripes.

He'd have to earn his stripes because he's not going to keep players like Pendles, Swan, Beams, and Ball out of the midfield. Hence, he's a HF who has midfield rotations.
Beast 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:09 am

Adams was very poor last night but that didn't come a s surprise to me for some reason.....
As I've said all along he is a limited player with woeful disposal and not many other attributes apart from mongrel at this stage of his career and JT is in front of him by a mile.
On a positive note he didn't drop his head after a mare of a game and kept busting his gut till the end, here's hoping he can take his game to a new level and eventually replace Bally. But he has a lot of work ahead of him.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:15 am

3rd degree wrote:
I also think Williams could be a handy chop out over time, he fears no one and has great skills

He was everywhere last night.

He seems like a new player since all the, um, drama, this kid got a massive fright, and I reckon he's grabbing the future with both hands. Kudus to him.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:31 am

Beast wrote:
Adams was very poor last night but that didn't come a s surprise to me for some reason.....
As I've said all along he is a limited player with woeful disposal and not many other attributes apart from mongrel at this stage of his career and JT is in front of him by a mile.
On a positive note he didn't drop his head after a mare of a game and kept busting his gut till the end, here's hoping he can take his game to a new level and eventually replace Bally. But he has a lot of work ahead of him.

Pretty much agree for now. I don't know why JT seems to be in and out of the team so much.

I still like Adams as I think disposal can be pretty easily improved on for young players. Marley, Toovey and Ben Johnson were all worse users of the pill than Adams is. You can't teach mongrel though and as you say, he doesn't seem to lack confidence or self belief. He'll be fine.

Martin definitely deserves a go. He's just too good for VFL and he didn't do much wrong at AFL level either last year.

Haven't seen enough of Broomhead to have an opinion.

I was really high on Kennedy this time last year, but I've cooled a bit. I know I said that disposal can be improved on for young players, but his issue seems to be decision making.

Dwyer's basically Martin except older. Does some nice things at AFL level but he's not fast / defensive enough to be a small forward and doesn't get enough of his own ball to be a mid.

JT
Adams
Martin
Kennedy
Dwyer

No idea about Broomhead.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:31 am

Beast wrote:

Pretty much agree for now. I don't know why JT seems to be in and out of the team so much.

I still like Adams as I think disposal can be pretty easily improved on for young players. Marley, Toovey and Ben Johnson were all worse users of the pill than Adams is. You can't teach mongrel though and as you say, he doesn't seem to lack confidence or self belief. He'll be fine.

Martin definitely deserves a go. He's just too good for VFL and he didn't do much wrong at AFL level either last year.

Haven't seen enough of Broomhead to have an opinion.

I was really high on Kennedy this time last year, but I've cooled a bit. I know I said that disposal can be improved on for young players, but his issue seems to be decision making.

Dwyer's basically Martin except older. Does some nice things at AFL level but he's not fast / defensive enough to be a small forward and doesn't get enough of his own ball to be a mid.

JT
Adams
Martin
Kennedy
Dwyer

No idea about Broomhead.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:23 am

^Agree with some of your observations re JT and Adams
Martin shows a bit and can kick goals. Elliott and Fas showed last night what straight kicks can do with limited disposals.

Dwyer was our best player against Carlton. Not a midfielder for mine but can definitely rack up the pill and disposal is quite good. Can play a flank well.

Rank him ahead of Kennedy for now. His disposal is rushed. By contrast Dwyer has more poise than just about anyone except Pendles on our list. That perhaps comes with a bit more age relative to Kennedy and Adams.

Broomhead is class. Can't wait to see him with a bit more bulk on him, plying his trade in the senior side in time.

Knocks on Adams disposal must also be worried about Blair based upon last nights performance. He has been better in recent weeks though.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:13 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Quote:

The midfielders on our list currently not playing AFL are (in my opinion)
Dwyer
Thomas
Kennedy
Adams
Broomhead
Martin
Seedsman
Freeman and Scharenberg I’m happy to leave out for now as they haven’t had opportunity to show any/much form against adults. As above, I see Sinclair, Yagmoor, Mooney, clarke and Armstrong as primarily small forward/back not genuine midfield options so I haven’t included them.

I rate what you have there to mine is:

Adams
Seedsman
Kennedy
Dwyer
Martin

Didn't even rate Thomas Dave, what about now post the Saints game?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:01 pm

After last night, Thomas is clearly the best of these players at this stage. Into the future Adams, Kennedy, Seedsman, Broomhead may go past him, but right now he's at the top of the list.

The bonus for Thomas is that he's able to play alongside Ball. He's a better runner than Adams and a bit less one dimensional. I just don't see a spot for Adams if he's not replacing Ball. Last night only emphasised that as well as showing he's not yet ready to replace Ball. Will need to do better whith his next opportunities.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:16 pm

I must have been watching a different game. Thomas converted better when kicking at goal but in field kicking he butchered it, at least early on. Adams was much better. Confused
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:38 pm

Early on Thomas did miss targets, but improved. Adams was never hitting them. Had better efficiency early on but that's because he only had a few kicks, most of his disposals were handballs. I'm not saying Thomas' ball use was great, but he was better than Adams. Other than that he won much more of the ball and was actually able to run with it.

Final stats:
Thomas: 18 kicks, 11 handballs, 62% eff, 6 clangers, 4 clearances, 5 tackles, 3 goals
Adams: 7 kicks, 11 handballs, 61% eff, 6 clangers, 4 clearances, 7 tackles

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:52 pm

I will add that I'm not concerned about Adams' disposal. He's a primary extractor and does not need superb skills. Once he's more comfortable in the team and at the level he'll definitely improve to the required standard. I think he'll be a very good player for us in the Luke Ball role.

From his senior games this season though, he has not shown an ability to play anywhere other than centre square. He is slow to make decisions and does not run with the ball the way Thomas does. Like Luke Ball he looks to be a one-dimensional player. That fine, but it does mean until he goes past Ball he won't be a regular in our team. Thomas on the other hand has shown he does not need to be the main extractor and can play alongside a Ball or Adams.

Maybe saying Thomas is "clearly" the better player was going too far. But with more years at the club he is the more assured player and definitely played the better game of the two last night. Into the future, I feel that Adams has the more certain and defined role in the team and that Thomas will be competing with a number of others.

roar 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I must have been watching a different game. Thomas converted better when kicking at goal but in field kicking he butchered it, at least early on. Adams was much better. Confused

Early on everyone butchered it. Later Thomas' disposal improved and he got it heaps more than Adams so I'm not sure how you could think Adams was "much better".

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:16 am

I understand the logic but I don't agree that players currently getting a game are best 22, and those that aren't, are not.

If we hoping to contest the premiership then the team that matters is the one that has been assembled by the end of the home and away. In the meantime there are countless considerations impacting upon selection.

I think Josh Thomas is a gun. I think he is in our best 15, let alone best 22. I don't think he has been struggling to get a game based on merit, I think it has been about injury and general management.

I see Adams in a similar boat, though he's not up to JT's standard yet. I'd still have a bet on him featuring in our finals side later in the year.

I will also put Seedsman into this group who have had injury, and/or are being held up for a well-timed run at the senior side with a view to finals.

If Luke Ball is in the side at the end of the year I will despair that both of these guys has not gone past him, because he has played his best footy. Not that he doesn't still have good footy in him, but I hope for performances from Thomas and Adams that Ball can no longer produce.

Pendlebury, Beams, Swan, Thomas, Sidebottom, Macaffer and Adams is just a stupidly good onball squadron IMO. Seedsman and Young on the wings and Lumumba sent back is what I'd like to see.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: