Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Interesting selections coming up

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh Thomas will play after his performance on Friday night that much is sure.

With Sidebottom facing suspension and Maxwell injured there's already two spots opened up for the likes of Swan etc.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:15 pm

I still don't get why Kyle Martin can't get a look in. The guy is BOG every second week, kicking bags more often than not. PK would've been looked at as a Sidey replacement this week after kicking 6 in the Magoos, but went & stuffed a hammy at training. Martin deserves a go at senior level, he was great in two of his 3 outings last year kicking 6 goals and looking like a player. then for some reason he was dropped & not looked at again. I'm starting to think Bucks isn't a fan.

Of course the problem we have is 28 players in our best 22. Good problem to have as long as it's handled right, but Buckley has been incredibly conservative in Match Committee this year.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:17 pm

everyone seems to nominate Adams as the next Ball, but I would go with Josh Thomas instead - he is hard at it, but has more tricks up his sleeve.

As stated earlier in this thread, I would look to Dwyer next in. Thomas / Dwyer gives you some tricks / cleverness that you don't get with Ball/Adams.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:41 pm

gurugeoff wrote:
everyone seems to nominate Adams as the next Ball, but I would go with Josh Thomas instead - he is hard at it, but has more tricks up his sleeve.

As stated earlier in this thread, I would look to Dwyer next in. Thomas / Dwyer gives you some tricks / cleverness that you don't get with Ball/Adams.

The reason I nominate Adams is because he's bigger and more physical. Also, he has to replace Ball or he needs to be traded, nowhere else for him to play.

Thomas does have more tricks, which is why he doesn't have to replace Ball. He can play as a secondary mid in a similar role to Swan. Adams must be the primary extractor, he's just not shown himself to be capable of playing anywhere else.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:26 pm

35forever wrote:
I still don't get why Kyle Martin can't get a look in. The guy is BOG every second week, kicking bags more often than not. PK would've been looked at as a Sidey replacement this week after kicking 6 in the Magoos, but went & stuffed a hammy at training. Martin deserves a go at senior level, he was great in two of his 3 outings last year kicking 6 goals and looking like a player. then for some reason he was dropped & not looked at again. I'm starting to think Bucks isn't a fan.

Of course the problem we have is 28 players in our best 22. Good problem to have as long as it's handled right, but Buckley has been incredibly conservative in Match Committee this year.

Match committee seem to prefer Blair and Elliott as the small forwards, now Fasolo has returned forward so Martin just seems to be down the pecking order.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:30 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
gurugeoff wrote:

The reason I nominate Adams is because he's bigger and more physical. Also, he has to replace Ball or he needs to be traded, nowhere else for him to play.

Thomas does have more tricks, which is why he doesn't have to replace Ball. He can play as a secondary mid in a similar role to Swan. Adams must be the primary extractor, he's just not shown himself to be capable of playing anywhere else.

Fairly confident other aspects of his game will emerge as he gains experience. Bit like his kicking at the moment. Was apparently considered a good kick in his junior footy, just seems to have the yips at the moment, much like Kennedy.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Slightly unrelated but now I know why we gave Wellingham the flick, the guy is more interested in how he will shock the crowd by wearing different coloured footy boots.. Shows where he's at!

What a toss bag.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:51 pm

jackcass wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
gurugeoff wrote:

Fairly confident other aspects of his game will emerge as he gains experience. Bit like his kicking at the moment. Was apparently considered a good kick in his junior footy, just seems to have the yips at the moment, much like Kennedy.

I'm not concerned about him making it. He'll be a very good inside mid. His lack of pace and agility pretty much rules him out of any other position though. Maybe he just looks slow and robotic due to lack of certainty at senior level, but I don't think that's the case.

This isn't a problem or a knock on him. We need a Luke Ball replacement and Adams has the game to be exactly that, we don't need him to be anything else.

rand corp 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:56 pm

Heard a rumour that White has an injury as well, not sure if he is doubtful or not.

Maxwell is out as will be Steele. PK and Sinkers cannot be considered.

Ball would come in for Sidebottom you''d think, if he is not right then Dwyer comes in.

Swan would come in for a dropped Adams if fit.

What to do with Grundy if he is fit?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Adams obviously played some good football in his time at GWS otherwise we wouldn't have entertained the idea of exchanging him for Shaw.

Hine and Buckley ain't no mugs.

To me at present I think the main problem is that Adams has come from playing at a club with little expectations and in front of crowds of 8,000 to a club with massive expectations on him, one where a crowd of 50,000 plus is more the norm.

IMHO he's still coming to terms of the pressure involved of playing for the biggest club in the land and the spotlight he is under every time he takes to the field.

Being involved in a trade with a favourite son probably only adds to this.

He'll be fine just requires a little patience and I for one would play him again this week as I hate nothing more than playing a young player for a week then dropping him.

Will do nothing for his confidence or development if that occurs.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:25 pm

^^Agree partially. But, he was brought in to replace an injured Ball. If Ball's no longer injured, then the logical move is that Ball comes back in. Can't be playing Adams just to give him a go. We're not really dropping him, just going back to the first choice player.
Beast 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:23 am

Adams was nowhere near GWS' best 10 players, lets not fool ourselves we got stooged with that deal. Bucks was a fan because he coached him and was keen on getting something in return for Heater.
Adams lacks class, simple as that.

Chuck him in the VFL where he belongs at this stage of his development and make him work on his deficiencies. He won't get any faster bet getting a better game sense and polishing his skills is not out of question.
It's ludicrous to suggest we need to play him just cause we traded Heater for him. It is even more retarded to suggest he needs to play AFL to gain confidence, as its most likely will have the opposite effect and will be to the side's detriment.
While JT is fit and firing Adams should never be considered as Ball's replacement due to JT being not too shabby at the inside game himself and a much more promising player.
Martin can also be quite adept at playing as an inside mid.
Far classier and handier players than him have had prolonged stints in VFL, such is life. Just like plenty of other trades have turned out to be busts. Right now Adams is not AFL standard, neither does he belong in the side capable of finishing top 4.
He wouldn't even rate a mention in the top 20/30 youngsters in the league and talent wise he is way down the pecking order of our own kids, yet we talk about him as its his god-given right to play seniors????
If thats how its stays - bad luck, if he takes his game to another level - good for us.

Have fun reasoning with his #1 fan who reckons Sidebottom's kicking has been worse this year but I'm done with this subject for awhile Smile
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:48 am

Beast wrote:
Adams was nowhere near GWS' best 10 players, lets not fool ourselves we got stooged with that deal. Bucks was a fan because he coached him and was keen on getting something in return for Heater.

Chuck him in the VFL where he belongs at this stage of his development and make him work on his deficiencies. He won't get any faster bet getting a better game sense and polishing his skills is not out of question.
It's ludicrous to suggest we need to play him just cause we traded Heater for him. It is even more retarded to suggest he needs to play AFL to gain confidence, as its most likely will have the opposite effect and will be to the side's detriment.
While JT is fit and firing Adams should never be considered as Ball's replacement due to JT being not too shabby at the inside game himself and a much more promising player.
Martin can also be quite adept at playing as an inside mid.
Far classier and handier players than him have had prolonged stints in VFL, such is life. Just like plenty of other trades have turned out to be busts. Right now Adams is not AFL standard, neither does he belong in the side capable of finishing top 4.
He wouldn't even rate a mention in the top 20/30 youngsters in the league and talent wise he is way down the pecking order of our own kids, yet we talk about him as its his god-given right to play seniors????
If thats how its stays - bad luck, if he takes his game to another level - good for us.

Have fun reasoning with his #1 fan who reckons Sidebottom's kicking has been worse this year but I'm done with this subject for awhile Smile

Agreed JT is way ahead of Adams. He has also proved himself against strong oppostion. With Swan and Ball returning Adams will probably make way one would think!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:33 pm

rand corp wrote:
Heard a rumour that White has an injury as well, not sure if he is doubtful or not.

Yes he injured/dislocated a finger. Unsure if it rules him out for Monday or not.

rand corp wrote:
What to do with Grundy if he is fit?

I would rest Witts and play Grundy instead.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Beast wrote:

FAR too early to make such a call. He needs time to learn our game plan, get experience and games into him and develop into a top tier player. If I was a betting man, I would certainly back Adams to be a real gun in 3-4 years time and back you to be a total bloody dud at recognising long term talent..... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: