Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Controversy: Ban runners!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pretender 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be clarified I'm sure
... but I can't see how it had any impact on the play at all.

Oh and Carlton lost

Which was beautiful to watch
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:51 pm

Collingwood vs West Coast 1990 - Draw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tmu4DVe0sk

Go to 18:30 and check out the West Coast runner.

The runner knocks the ball out of bounds with 38 seconds in the match deep in Collingwood's defence. The throw in results in the kick at goal for Sumich, which although he misses, could have seen West Coast win the game).

Last edited by stoliboy on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:55 pm

Most of you miss the point of this thread. It has very little to do with whether or not Carlton won. Mind you it would have been better for us if Geelong had lost. They are in the top four again thanks to that steal last night. And if any of you can put up with more Chris Scott smugness then you are stronger souls than me. I can't stand the bastard, Cats supporters or the club. Evil or Very Mad

But the main point is the way clubs are using runners to play as extra men in a zone defense by blocking space. The other matter is no less important, the aesthetics of the game. It is highly amateurish and looks stupid for people from overseas to see all these extra people on the ground all the time (especially when they are dressed in pink). For God's sake they look like they belong in the Sydney Mardi Gras. Razz

Ban them. Now!

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:03 pm

^^Well, just explain to these foreigners that our game doesn't stop every 2 minutes so coaches can talk to their players, and we don't play on a postage stamp, so coaches can't just yell from the sidelines. Simple.

Runners are necessary in the AFL, but I do agree that they currently spend too much time on the ground and can be used by coaches for tactical purposes. The league was worried about the "aesthetics" of the interchange, this one could be more of an eyesore.

Last edited by AN_Inkling on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:05 pm

AFL: Qualifying Final, Adelaide Vs. Essendon, Adelaide runner gives Essendon their first goal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1eTCLbO-4

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:10 pm
Post subject: Re: Controversy: Ban runners!Reply with quote

collie dog wrote:
Last night we saw an incident in the final minute that may have robbed Carlton of a win. We have seen it several times this season, especially from the Sydney Swans. It is runners getting into the action to block opposition players from accessng the ball.

Instead of relaying messages to players, these cheats are blocking important lines between the opposition players and the goals. They are acting as additional players in a zone defense. Evil or Very Mad

Last night Robinson was clearly blocked by the Geelong runner from getting the ball and there was no penalty! Evil or Very Mad

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/carlton-coach-mick-malthouse-blasts-umpiring-noncalls-20140607-zs0gf.html

I think this is a disgrace. Our game looks stupid enough with all the extra people on the ground. You don't see it in soccer (unless the ref stops the game and calls aids on).You don't see it in rugby, and you don't see it in American football (because they have time outs).

Clearly some clubs are using this as a loophole. I have seen runners stay on the ground for 10 to 15 minutes. They are either coaching (which should be banned) or they are blocking space. The solution is simple: Ban the runners. The players don't need messages relayed. And you have the technology to wire players to the coaches box now if you want that. Stop the runners from cluttering up an already crowded field.

yep its cheating, ban them now

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:11 pm

collie dog wrote:
Most of you miss the point of this thread. It has very little to do with whether or not Carlton won. Mind you it would have been better for us if Geelong had lost. They are in the top four again thanks to that steal last night. And if any of you can put up with more Chris Scott smugness then you are stronger souls than me. I can't stand the bastard, Cats supporters or the club. Evil or Very Mad

But the main point is the way clubs are using runners to play as extra men in a zone defense by blocking space. The other matter is no less important, the aesthetics of the game. It is highly amateurish and looks stupid for people from overseas to see all these extra people on the ground all the time (especially when they are dressed in pink). For God's sake they look like they belong in the Sydney Mardi Gras. Razz

Ban them. Now!

yep yep and, Shocked not that theres anything wrong with that jerry Wink

MOTR 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:47 am

neil wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

This. However for my Carlton friends they were obvious frees Very Happy

You have Carlscum friends?
And admit it? Shocked

These are indeed baldfacts.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:25 am

stoliboy wrote:

The runner knocks the ball out of bounds with 38 seconds in the match deep in Collingwood's defence. The throw in results in the kick at goal for Sumich, which although he misses, could have seen West Coast win the game).

The runner and the coach for WCE that day were Wiley and MM who are now at the scum. The karma bus is a big bitch.

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:50 am

how was robinson blocked from the ball? the ump had called for a ball up, which entitles the runner to send a message to a player in the pack around the ball. lappin was then running off and collided with robo by accident, if anything robinson should get a fine if anything
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:12 pm

I hate quoting myself, but this is from 2009:
Quote:
Bloody runners - Another one of my pet hates - Don't worry about who they are - just get them OFF THE FIELD!!!!!!!!

The AFL really needs to do something about this. Not just the runners, it's the 'drinks-people?' that make the game look messy & disorganised for anyone new to footy.
Dressed in club colours, I see them all too often being used as the 19th man to 'guard space' like all modern footballers do these days! I'm sure when under pressure or in adverse lighting conditions, players in possession have looked down the ground & made a decision to dispose of the footy believing that was a player - not an official.

That's not professional!

I vote 'Ban the runners/water'. Send a message after a goal or how about with the 120 interchange players that move on & off the ground?!?!?!
It's an absolute joke.
MattyD 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:00 pm

stoliboy wrote:

LOL!! He kicked the ball out of bounds in the eagles forward 50 in a close final!!

I was at that game but barely remember that.

That should have been a free kick to Collingwood.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:35 pm

A Melbourne runner sat behind a ball on ground contest, made the holding the ball gesture to the umpire which was duly paid. Then sat in the defensive zone not allowing Collingwood to guard midfield space properly. Was plain as day and will never get a mention. Was pathetic cheating. Allowed Melbourne to get out fortunately there shit kicking gave us the ball straight back.
SuperStar Beams Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:59 pm

The reason as to why they are out there longer is due to the fact the afl reduced it to one runner. the runner has more messages to give out and in the final 5 minutes of a close game there will be more messages to send out meaning more ground time for the runners.
Also if the coach wants to make a change in who is playing where or to bring someone off the runner needs to go out to do it.
Bring back 2 runners and the field time they have will decrease
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Mic all the players up or equip them with a shoe phone, it's the only way we can do away with runners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: