Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tyson Goldsack on The Couch

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Damien wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Interesting to hear how a bloke with zero ball skills gets a regular game just for tackling.

I'm sure you're just fishing for a reaction here Flash but I think a premiership player and one of the best kicks in the side deserves more respect than that

The defensive side in his game makes up for it in my opinion. One thing you know about Money Bags is that he gives his all week in and week out. Individuals who are tackled by him know they have been tackled. Rolling Eyes
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Any links to watch this interview?

I'm surprised at how widely Goldy is criticised by his own supporters.
- There is an official 'Mark of the Year' award
- There is an unofficial 'Golden Fist'
- Where is the accolade for 'Tackle of the Year'?

A well timed & executed tackle can be a pivotal moment in a game that may well change the outcome. It should be celebrated. Having said that, Goldy is by no means a 1 trick pony. Generally speaking, we're a better team with Goldy in it. Love The Sack!

PS: 'Tackle of the Year' would at the very least make for an interesting trophy Wink
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlb6m3cmON0

starts around 28minute mark
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:49 pm

He laid a bump on Stokes in the 2010 prelim and I swear I heard the impact from the first tier of the southern stand

Time check: about 10 mins to go in the third qtr

Last edited by Damien on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:49 pm

they mentioned he is leading the status as the #1 pressure player whatever that means (most tackles in the forward line?)
Flashman 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:04 pm

E wrote:
piedys wrote:
Fair point Damo, but Goldy's disposal accuracy has IMO decreased since 2010, enough for idiot Malthouse to exclude him from 2011 Grand Final side. And all the games missed with injury in last 2-3 seasons haven't exactly helped his cause. I'm really hoping he improves that area in the 2nd half on 2014, because blokes who can't hit targets really can't be demanding a spot in the starting 21 anymore, and he ain't the Lone Ranger there...

Dyso

he hit the goal target pretty well from outside 50 today (which is a pretty good skill for a bloke who also used those shit ball skills to take a really strong one grab mark on a Dunstall like lead).

!I wish I could possess such shit ball skills from outside 50.

Seriously, Goldy must just about be the first player picked in this team given his versatility. He is going to be such an asset when Reid comes back

He dropped a sitter which cost us a goal in about the only free flowing piece of play in the match to counteract the Dunstall like lead and mark you're referring to.

If you reckon his ball skills are up to scratch for an AFL player then I respectfully disagree with you. He's a chronic fumbler and always has been.

But his effort, pressure, speed and versatility are exceptional and I would never dispute that. I'm just not sure whether that should necessarily guarantee him an automatic spot given the flaws in his game, the same goes for Blair as well.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:50 pm

A couple of years back when he started up forward more often he rarely missed a set shot at all, was the most reliable kick for the goal in the team

Before criticising him for getting a game for only tackling, lets not forget we have a premiership captain who only got a game for being to able to punch as 3rd man up and would love to have even half of Goldys skill level...
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:29 pm

I just laugh at the sort of comments on what a senior experienced player does or does not do, and what he should or should not do.

How many times do you hear a player in a successful team, when asked why they are playing so well or why their team is so consistent state " Everyone knows their role and just plays their role"

I mean how good would it be to have 22 Pendle's running around ?
Aint gonna happen.

Tyson has a role to play in a "structure" that Bucks sets us up for.
Yes he has his strengths and weaknesses however playing a role is designed to maximize the strength and minimize the weakness.

He will make mistakes as every player does.

He does though play his role and clearly plays it well as bucks loves him.

What he also does is provide the ability to play both ends - not many can do that as well as he can.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:09 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
A couple of years back when he started up forward more often he rarely missed a set shot at all, was the most reliable kick for the goal in the team

Before criticising him for getting a game for only tackling, lets not forget we have a premiership captain who only got a game for being to able to punch as 3rd man up and would love to have even half of Goldys skill level...

Not been watching much footy this year Eddie?

Maxwell before he got injured was superb. Much better than Goldsack and Trav for that matter.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:02 pm

I've never coached an AFL team. Therefore I can only trust the setup. But here's the facts:

1. A bloke saying he's got a specific job to do in the team which is forward pressure to create turnovers and stoppages and by extension scoring opportunities
2. Champion data rate him as no.1 in the league for forward pressure
3. A coach who is very happy with his performance in this role
4. A team sitting on 8-3 and in the top 4

Do the math.

He also lead up yesterday, took a strong mark and kicked truly. Bucks wants him to start adding more of that to his game so he attracts another good tall defender and stretches opposition back lines even further. The Sack and the pies are going along nicely thank you very much.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:13 pm

If his only role is to tackle, provide hard yakka and pressure then he's doing a brilliant job and I'll shut my trap.

If he's also expected to provide a target and kick 1-2 goals a week to go along with the defensive stuff then he probably needs to lift a bit on that area of his game (which he has shown to be capable of).

Either way we're winning and I probably should keep my gob shut because rereading some of my posts (my initial one was immediately after he fluffed an easy marking attempt and was a tad harsh) it looks like I'm channeling my inner Jack_Spain and being a general malcontent.

I'm very, very happy with the way things are going but there is always areas for improvement from all quarters Goldy included.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Flashman wrote:
If his only role is to tackle, provide hard yakka and pressure then he's doing a brilliant job and I'll shut my trap.

If he's also expected to provide a target and kick 1-2 goals a week to go along with the defensive stuff then he probably needs to lift a bit on that area of his game (which he has shown to be capable of).

Either way we're winning and I probably should keep my gob shut because rereading some of my posts (my initial one was immediately after he fluffed an easy marking attempt and was a tad harsh) it looks like I'm channeling my inner Jack_Spain and being a general malcontent.

I'm very, very happy with the way things are going but there is always areas for improvement from all quarters Goldy included.

Absolutely mate. I watched the 'on the couch' bit from last night and that was pretty much what he said. If he can kick a goal or two each week what a weapon he'll be. Bucks is looking for continual improvement in all of the players. I was pretty critical of the sack myself at the start of the year but what I love is the option of sending him back when we need to like we did against West Coast when he did that job brilliantly.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Good interview. I reckon the argument about him kicking goals is a little distracting, better to focus on how many goals does he create, either directly by kicking them or via goal assists or via pressure acts causing turnovers that result in one of our players getting a goal.

Sack does his job and does it well.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Flashman wrote:
E wrote:
piedys wrote:
Fair point Damo, but Goldy's disposal accuracy has IMO decreased since 2010, enough for idiot Malthouse to exclude him from 2011 Grand Final side. And all the games missed with injury in last 2-3 seasons haven't exactly helped his cause. I'm really hoping he improves that area in the 2nd half on 2014, because blokes who can't hit targets really can't be demanding a spot in the starting 21 anymore, and he ain't the Lone Ranger there...

Dyso

he hit the goal target pretty well from outside 50 today (which is a pretty good skill for a bloke who also used those shit ball skills to take a really strong one grab mark on a Dunstall like lead).

!I wish I could possess such shit ball skills from outside 50.

Seriously, Goldy must just about be the first player picked in this team given his versatility. He is going to be such an asset when Reid comes back

He dropped a sitter which cost us a goal in about the only free flowing piece of play in the match to counteract the Dunstall like lead and mark you're referring to.

If you reckon his ball skills are up to scratch for an AFL player then I respectfully disagree with you. He's a chronic fumbler and always has been.

But his effort, pressure, speed and versatility are exceptional and I would never dispute that. I'm just not sure whether that should necessarily guarantee him an automatic spot given the flaws in his game, the same goes for Blair as well.

Lucky Nathan doesn't agree with you. Imagine sending Blairy down to cover the WC bigs after Maxy got injured???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: