Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you do after 1990?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpiefan3 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time i was only 1 yrs old, i know nothing but now looking through my photo album of myself i see photos of myself as a baby all dressed up in black and white...

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:26 pm

Magpiefan3 wrote:
At the time i was only 1 yrs old, i know nothing but now looking through my photo album of myself i see photos of myself as a baby all dressed up in black and white...

Same here as I say I was 4 and I was wearing a Knitted Black and White Jumper and I wouldn't of known why

kickit2me Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:41 pm

I was 24 at the time...living up in Cairns.

After the game me and the missus headed up to the Kuranda Ampitheatre for an INXS concert. I was blotto before we left (home brews) so I have very little in the way of recollection.

I do remember that I wore my Collingwood guernsey to the concert and hugged just about anyone who had half an inkling that the drought had been broken. Can't remember much about the concert itself, other than the power failing twice and INXS reacted by spitting the dummy and walking off to a chorus of boos.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm....home brew

Last edited by kickit2me on Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
handy point Aquarius

Long distance Pie.

Turned off the telly with a big smile on my 14y/o face... as a Sydney based Pies fan who'd only been on board for the previous 4 and a bit years, I don't really think I understood the enormity of it all.
Fire Up Sagittarius

i watched the game in hospital.

my grandma was dying so i had to stay there for the whole day. as it turns out she passed away b4 the game started or was on. i was going to the person next to her watching the tv every now and again as she had it on
handy point Aquarius

Long distance Pie.

Turned off the telly with a big smile on my 14y/o face..and went to have dinner with my non-footy following family.

As a Sydney based Pies fan who'd only been on board for the previous 4 and a bit years, I don't really think I understood the enormity of it all.
EBB 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:55 pm

..don't remember much after half time, except for spraying a bottle of spewmante all over the loungeroom ceiling. Then sometime later riding on the bonnet of a moving vehicle to a destination in bentleigh. ( it won't happen again). Rolling Eyes
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:11 pm

Cricketers first. In the Ponsford for the game and more beers. Caught up with Sultan of Spins Mum and uncles etc then did a pub crawl from Cricketers to Vic Park on foot having beer at most pubs. Cab home at 3.00 and got up at 7.00 and got into the crownies with the shop owner next door. 10.00 mates caught a train to Vic Park and got home at midnight. Back at the pub to bounce the ball monday and didn't bother ringing the boss because the was an Essenscum man. Was still pissed saturday arvo but made the quickest 50 I ever made on the saturday arvo because I didn't want to run.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:38 pm

I was 9. I remember the final siren and jumping up and down on the couch. I remember my parents saying "I cant believe it" about a million times.

That night, we had a party with family and friends. Everyone was drunk. I remember at night me and my brother on the trampoline bounching up and down while kicking the footy to eachother lol.

My Dad was 33. And we always talk about me beating him. Meaning me getting to see one before i am 33. I have 7 years to go! My brother has 4.

Looking back i really wish i got to take it in a bit more. But being 9 years old , i guess it didnt mean as much as it does to me now. Like all of you, i am absoutly DYING for Collingwood to win the flag.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:44 pm

Northern Pie wrote:
I was watching it on TV and screaming like crazy right up until about the 10 minute mark of the last qtr. My sister in law walked in and asked if I was ok, I was so quiet, I was just continually asking myself "Is this really happening" after all those times in the 70's and 80's after the those grand final losses, out in the back yard playing the game over and over while kicking the ball to myself (always with a different result, with #12 Greg Hatch, kicking the winning goal on the siren) to console myself, I just could not believe it was really happening, call me a sook but when the siren went I was just put my head down into a pillow and cried tears of absolute Joy, laughed may arse off when they interviewed my Hero banksy and he was pissed as a maggot already then balled again when they finished the coverage showing highlights of the finals and the grand final to the song "Just Once" by James Ingram. Went out with my friends who all thought there was something wrong with me because I would randomly break out in tears because I had Lethal and Shawry holding that cup aloft replaying over and over in my mind...I hope those who haven't experienced feeling that, get to soon.

Cheers

Cheers

Mate, so similar.

Magpie Phil Virgo

magpie phil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Sat in the 3rd level of the Ponsford about 4 rows from the front and 4 rows infront of an Essendon fan when Rowdy went down, this guy paid out on Rowdy and it took 3 of my mates to hold me back. I am quite calm at the footy but on this occassion not.

When the siren went the mates took hold of as i was jumping with joy and we almost toppled over the edge.

Made our way through the crowd to celebrate with some of my cheer squad friends back then and let me tell you if only i was single. (You get the idea)

Headed of to The Hilton were Wellington St was blocked off and drank a slab with the boy's and all in sundry.

Jumped onboard a train around 7ish i think, and i am not certain about this but i can not recall paying the fare.

Go off at The Holy Victoria Park and continued to drink and celebrate, there was this fight going on around me and in my drunken state i seperated the two and told them both off as this was a celebration and we should share the love.
We were asked to leave at what ever time it was a friend walked my mate and i to her home in Northcote where we woke on the lounge room floor. Had breakfast then walked back to VP around 10.

I made a promise that if we would ever win a Flag in my life time i would walk to the centre circle bend down and kiss the turf. At 24 years of age this is what i finally did, bent down kissed the turf and lay there for a good half hour taking it all in.

The party would then continue throughout the week climaxing with A Grand Final Party with all the gang and all extra's one week later.

I pray that my 3 children may get the chance to experience all that is a Collinwood Grand Finale Victory.

Good Luck team 2007, may God be with you.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:10 pm

Hey, reading this thread has got the passion going. I tell you what, next time we win a flag, I know where i'll be going. Vic Park. I don't give a damn if no one else is there, or if there' gates or fences or whatever. I'll be going there with some cans and I'm going to sit there on my own if no one else is there and smile like a demented &*( and get pissed.

GO PIES.

Tully 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:52 pm

I was travelling around Europe with three friends. Decided to hightail it back to London as we were sure we would be able to watch at a pub or on TV somewhere. Well, we made it back to London in time but couldn't find a telecast anywhere - turns out that this game was never going to be broadcast due to some sort of strike(can't remember WHO was on strike and why it affected this particular broadcast)
Anyway, one of my friends ran back and forth to the public phone (as someone else said - no internet or mobiles in those days) getting the updated scores. Couldn't believe it when we got word of the win!

Couldn't believe that we had actually won after all the heartbreaks of the seventies and couldn't believe that I wasn't there to see it!!
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:58 pm

Ah such great memories

From sleeping out for a week on the old banana lounge to get those GF tickets - the family taking it in shifts - right about this time you are very happy to come from a big family Laughing

From throwing up every cup of coffee I tried to have the morning of the game from bloody nerves

To donning the black and white from head to tail including black and white fingernails

To still feeling physically sick as we sat on the wing as they bounced the ball for the game to start

To abusing the living suitcase out of the Weagle guys behind us who tried to offer us champagne at 1/2 time insisting we had it won (1970 etc etc etc had significantly scarred us!!)

Bursting with pride when Rowdy came back on

Realiising at the 20 min mark of the last quarter that FINALLY we were gonna win it and having mum realise the same thing at the same time and both of us just start crying (by which time our weagle friends had decided we were quite demented!!!)

To seeing Tony fall to the ground on his knees, Pants end up with the ball and finally the lifting of the cup Smile

To go back to Viccy Park and sing and sing and sing - everyone loved everyone that night

And then some considerable time later (hmm ok some days later hehehe) to go home and see all the red and black had gawn from the houses in my street

And then the years of bragging rights - Q Who kicked 5 goals in the 1990 GF????

A: Essendon Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

One of the best days of my life Cool

raymond35 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:37 am

Watched from the bottom deck of the northern stand.
Main memories of the second best day of my life:

- i was directly in line with Daics first goal. the second it left his boot the ball went as straight as a bullet. i was already jumping up and down long before it went through.
- getting off the train at vic park was amazing. there were people everywhere, giving you high fives and hugging, complete strangers.
- all the people climbing the goalposts and being shaken off by their mates, its a miracle no one was killed.
- unlike the fictional stories by collingwood haters, i saw no fights at all that night. just an incredibly happy 30,000 people going off.
- it was harder to get a taxi than new years eve, and i walked home from collingwood to bentleigh( a long way!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: