Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WE NEED to boost our low Percentage NOW !!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

no one is arguing that percentage cant lead to a different ladder positon. however, if a team is relying on percentage for ladder position, they aren't a legitimate shot at a flag. Or said a different way, if your ladder position influences whether you can win the flag, then you really aren't a legitimate threat.

It mattered more under different finals systems, but seriously, under this system where all of the top 4 are essentially equally situated, it makes no difference.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:54 pm

No need to worry about our percentage, just wait for everyone else to play Sydney Wink.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:19 am

^ You can bet with their massive percentage boost tonight, the swannies have all but locked in a top four, perhaps two, spot. Looks like they have hit peak form too, who can stop em, they destroyed the cats with a forward line bursting with talent, billionaire buddy, tippet, ol goodsey, and kennedy, shaw, McVeigh chiming in. Swans must be now warm faves for the flag, I cant see who can stop them, not with possible two home finals in Sydney, thanks to percentage really. Thank god we played them before tippet arrived, be bloody hard to beat em now in this red hot form.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
E 

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:42 am

Piesnchess wrote:
^ You can bet with their massive percentage boost tonight, the swannies have all but locked in a top four, perhaps two, spot. Looks like they have hit peak form too, who can stop em, they destroyed the cats with a forward line bursting with talent, billionaire buddy, tippet, ol goodsey, and kennedy, shaw, McVeigh chiming in. Swans must be now warm faves for the flag, I cant see who can stop them, not with possible two home finals in Sydney, thanks to percentage really. Thank god we played them before tippet arrived, be bloody hard to beat em now in this red hot form.

Yes, the Swans would have no chance of winning the flag, but because of their percentage they are warm favorites. This team that is so good that it is unbeatable is somehow going to rely on percentage to make all of the difference!!!!

Sadly, I suspect your attempt at humour only goes to serve the point i have been making all along - "Percentage doesnt matter at all!"

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:20 pm

E wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Yes, the Swans would have no chance of winning the flag, but because of their percentage they are warm favorites. This team that is so good that it is unbeatable is somehow going to rely on percentage to make all of the differenc

Sadly, I suspect your attempt at humour only goes to serve the point i have been making all along - "Percentage doesnt matter at all!"
Confused Confused Confused

ok ok, genius, percentage does not matter, cough cough, and the swans, have no hope for the flag, right Question Pray tell, if they finish second top, due to their massive percentage, and wins, why cant they win the flag now. ?? They have hit red hot form, have the best forward line in the league, buddy and tippet, goodes, jetta, plus, the cats were castrated by them, the hawks are injury hit and have no senior coach, Port are iff, as are the dockers, and we are too young to win a flag at this stage. Name me a team better credentialed right now, to win the premiership, other than the swans, with a power forward line, great centre line, and measley defence. I hasten to add, I am no big fan of the swannies, but after what they did to the cats, I just cant believe you think they are not warm faves to win it, if not them, then who. Confused Confused Question Question

E 

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:12 pm

PNC, I love your passion, but I think you missed the sarcasm in my email......

The Swans are looking really, really good to win the flag for all of the reasons you said. that was not my point.

My point is that they will not need to rely on percentage to do so. as you say, they will likely finish top two, but if their percentage was dropped to zero, I'm sure they'd still like their chances to win the flag.

If they are as good as you say they are, then their percentage wont impact their chance of a flag (even if it changes ladder position). They are either good enough or they aren't and so I'm sure Sydney will be focused on things other than building percentage.

SteveH67 

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:28 pm

We did it tonight.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:43 pm

Up to 118.6 from 107.9

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:17 pm

Donny wrote:
Up to 118.6 from 107.9

Well, now I am a happy little black duck at last. Exclamation Very Happy

uncanny 

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:29 pm

nice to wave at the cats on the way past them on the ladder tonight
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:44 pm

Up around 11% tonight, couple more of those over the next fortnight will do us nicely. Remember we have the lions/GWS double header in the last month of the season so that may come in very handy as it looks like it will be a tight battle for top 4 spots.
E 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:40 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Donny wrote:
Up to 118.6 from 107.9

Another few more percentage points and well be dead set premiership favorites. That's just how important it is.

PS: The league is at the cross roads I reckon. too many games where all a side cares about is percentage. the competition needs more quality games. seriously, if you look at this week's games, the only interesting one was Swans v Geelong and that was decided by 110 points. Next is probably tigers v bombers but even that is simply two also rans.

In NFL, nearly every game has a lot riding on it.

prawnstar Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:42 am

E wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Donny wrote:
Up to 118.6 from 107.9

Another few more percentage points and well be dead set premiership favorites. That's just how important it is.

PS: The league is at the cross roads I reckon. too many games where all a side cares about is percentage. the competition needs more quality games. seriously, if you look at this week's games, the only interesting one was Swans v Geelong and that was decided by 110 points. Next is probably tigers v bombers but even that is simply two also rans.

That's fine, except NFL is boring as batshit.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 am

E wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Donny wrote:
Up to 118.6 from 107.9

Most AFL games still have a lot riding on it. Compare the difference for us between a win and a loss tonight. Maybe Top 4 after round 11 vs struggling to stay in the 8 if we lose. That's a lot riding on the game. Similar to the NFL, not every game is close, but the results are important. Lose a game unexpectedly can mean the difference between division champion and wildcard.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:03 am

E wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Donny wrote:
Up to 118.6 from 107.9

More pro-american BS E... if you mean every gridiron game has a lot of 'money' riding on it then yes possibly true, however every competition has stronger sides and weaker ones and when the two meet you get a lopsided game or games that don't really affect the ladder position etc. I also disagree that the comp is at the cross-roads. This year Brisbane and now the Giants are looking weak, Saints are struggling, but dogs, Demons and above are certainly able to beat other teams if they are a bit off their game. There are many so called 'also rans' that can beat any of the top 4 teams on their day.

If you look over the last decades (2003-2013) premiers...
Lions,
Port,
Swans x2
Weagles
Cats x3
Pies
Hawks x2

You can see 7 different teams winning flags - if you go back a little further you can add the Bummers and Roos and Crows - 10 different teams in 16 years since 98. I don't think your comments reflect the reality of a very good competition in the bigger picture!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: