Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We need another key defender

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused. Is this thread about key defenders? Because the only ones we have are: Brown, Reid, Frost and Keeffe. So yes, given that we like to play Reid forward and Brown has his injury concerns, we could do with another.

If we're just talking defenders, we have flankers and pockets or potential pockets galore, don't worry about it.

If we're talking mediums, like Maxwell, we have Langdon who's been as impressive as any first year player I can remember (would have been shocked with his performances were he taken top 15 let alone 65), Goldsack, Oxley, Lumumba, Scharenberg (though I'd not play him in the Maxwell role too early, you don't play a young bloke loose). So we're ok if not exactly flush.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Maybe someone needs a new shirt?

pre.jpg

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Damien wrote:
Culprit wrote:
roar wrote:
^^ If it wasn't for the ridiculous price tag, I would agree.
We can afford him and worth the pick up as Reid is a liability.

Reid would eat Frawley for breakfast. Besides Frawley will be demanding overs and we don't need him that much to pay more than he's worth.

Reid struggles to put a few games together otherwise I would say no. It's round what? Where is Reid?
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:53 pm

^ It's really only the first time Reid has struggled to put a few games together. You'd be surprised at how many he's actually missed since becoming a regular in 2010. . Although not likely he'll be used as a key defender very often from now on. Seems to have gone through the same thing as Beams did last year and Beams is flying atm. Brown is the worry, in which case we'll surely have to look at developing or picking up a youngish key D in the next draft.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:52 pm

^ missed heaps last year and now we are nearly half way and he is still out. Frawley in our squad would be a great addition. A fit Reid and Frawley that can play either end is something I feel would make a Premiership.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:08 pm

Culprit wrote:
^ missed heaps last year and now we are nearly half way and he is still out. Frawley in our squad would be a great addition. A fit Reid and Frawley that can play either end is something I feel would make a Premiership.

Reid played 22 of a possible 23 games in 2013... getting a bit sick of this bullshit myth.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:25 pm

jackcass wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Reid played 22 of a possible 23 games in 2013... getting a bit sick of this bullshit myth.
Happy to be corrected. My concern is he isn't playing now and doesn't look like it at the moment. What has gone from one week has turned into 10. The topic is about another key defender. Frawley is available and my view is the club should look at him.
virgomag 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Check out Jonathon Marsh playing in our VFL side, athletic, strong, good overhead and a bit of aggression, reckon this kid will be good !!

And I want a Presit t-shirt !!!!!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:05 pm

And ... runs like a gazelle on speed - you forgot that bit!!!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
And ... runs like a gazelle on speed - you forgot that bit!!!

Often runs to the wrong spot.....you forgot that bit! Rolling Eyes

Seriously, I've got good hopes for him for next year.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Perhaps Mike rebooted me since then.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:59 pm

virgomag wrote:
Check out Jonathon Marsh playing in our VFL side, athletic, strong, good overhead and a bit of aggression, reckon this kid will be good !!

And I want a Presit t-shirt !!!!!

I'm a fan and it's still early days but can't see him as a long term KPD, more a HFF or wing type. Playing in defense because it helps his development... and because we don't really have any alternatives. be interesting to see where he lines up this week with Riddle and Pendlebury returning to the VFL side who can offer other KPD options.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Culprit wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Happy to be corrected. My concern is he isn't playing now and doesn't look like it at the moment. What has gone from one week has turned into 10. The topic is about another key defender. Frawley is available and my view is the club should look at him.

Missed 5-6 in 2012 over a couple of 2-3 game stints but has actually been quite resilient up until 2014. And I agree, Frawley is available and the club should look at him IF the price is right! No way is he worth $700+K. There'll be some kids not getting opportunities at clubs who'll also be available, a year late for Delaney and Bruce but there'll be others.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:24 pm

We've shown that we're pretty damn good at developing defenders, so I'd be wary of paying big money for Frawley or any key defender.

Depending where Reid plays, or how highly we rate Keeffe, and when Brown will be back, we may be better off with a developing player either from the National or the Rookie draft.

I think the more pressing concern is a mature ruckman. There's some who'd say we can't seriously challenge without one and Grundy and Witts are still a couple of years away.

roar 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Witts and Grundy will be proper ruckmen next year, if they aren't already. Back up veteran for insurance, a la Hudson, would be sufficient IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: