Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you do after 1990?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heather 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

You never forget a day that you have been waiting your whole life for.
Born in '55, I was a bit young to remember '56 so 1990 was a long time coming.
The worst part about it, I was living in Queensland.
Did all the usual things, decorated the house, had my youngest son at the time running around in a 'carn the pies singlet and sat down to watch it on the TV.
I'm not quite sure how much time I spent in front of that TV I had to keep getting up and walking out of the room, had so many DeJaVu moments of we've been here before, I know I kept yelling at the TV to ring the siren, I didn't want to go thru St.Kilda, Carlton or North Melbourne Grand Finals again.
When it finally went, I think I had an out of body experience, did what I think had just happened really happened. It was sureal, I sort of felt numb. We had just won the flag. I cried.
Then I got angry.....because
something I had waited my whole life to join in and celebrate had happened and I was over a thousand kilometres away. I wanted too be there when they came back to Vic Park, I had pictured it in my mind for so many years, so many missed flags, and they were going to party without me, I sat glued to the TV for days capturing every moment of celebrations on the news, cried and cried some more....
I guess the same will happen again at some stage, hopefully this year, but I am going to be more prepared and hopefully will actually savour the moment.

For all of you who are yet to feel the emotion of a Premiership, fasten your seat belts, because it's one hell of an emotional ride.

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:36 am

I was a very happy 12 year old...!!
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:12 am

Watched it on TV with an Essendon supporting mate he thought we had it won at 3/4 time but I didnt think so all those losing GF's had scarred me. When it was over I sat still for about ten minutes and then rewound the tape and started watching it again. Then I started drinking thought about going to Vic park but was way too hissed to walk let alone drive. I have no recollecting of anything after about 11pm. Apparently I rang every single Essendon supporter that I knew some even twice.
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:29 am

Had to work that morning, but had Chicken and champagne brekky before going to work, then watched the game at home in Adelaide.

After the game swore that next Grandfinal I would be in Melbourne no matter what, and have been

Most drastic and fantastic thing I did, was say goodbye to my ex husband for ever! (he was an essendon supporter.)

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:34 am

burnsy17 wrote:

hehe, get on the piss mate??? Very Happy

BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:35 am

I was 20 years old, and was working in Sydney at the time. Watched the game in a bar with a few magpie supporing mates.
I cried, laughed and cried again. I woke up at 3am Sunday and jumped in my car and drove to Vic Park. Spent all arvo at Vic park. Was absolutely amazing.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:41 am

Someone here mentioned the 2002 Grand Final and how proud they were.

I couldnt agree more.

When Josh Fraser kicked that goal I let myself think we were going to win...and we would of had Chris Tarrant got a free kick for being raped in the goal square.

Another rant for another day

1990 was perfection. A little Daicos magic, a brawl, the rowdy comeback, Pants, Shawry (before he turned into a media prick) and ofcourse the most rewound goal in video history... Doug barwicks snap from the pocket that gave everyone permission to believe the unbelievable.

We will get there again and I can only hope I have half as much fun as my old man and the rest of the pies fans at Vic Park had that day.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:21 pm

I got pissed, Al caponed and got to give shit to steve vizard as I left the ground. Talk about the trifecta pay out! and a beautiful day in history!

www.facebook/the hybernators

Last edited by 3rd degree on Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:50 pm

I was 16 and watch it at home. After the siren went to my mate a bombers supporter and gave him crap. The one thing that sticks out in my mind was Sandy Roberts call : Peter Daicos the Master after Daics kicked the banana kick.
Tanks1966 Leo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:15 pm

I had a finals series ticket whic covered every final.
My day began with my co magpie buddy, we had drinks at the hilton before the game. walking to the ground I noticed some scalpers, I asked how much and he said a grand - wow back then.
It was simply awesome, I sat in the southern stan only 10 rows back right in front of the mele. I saw that a/hole daniher king hit brown and thought, why AGAIN!. daicos first goal was sensational. I rememebr every aspect of the game. I knew we had it won when Monkey Madden kicked in the man in the mark, it was our DAY i thought. Millane with his broken hand was insperational.
After the game we went to Vic Park - There were no STRANGERwere a huge family and partied hard. My wife picked me up in Smith Street Collingwood at 4am. She said I was in a group who were singing the theme song and shring alcahol around, I just loved it! brilliant day, Night and the relief - Simply the best day - (Apart from the birth of my kids).

GO Pies

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:46 pm

frankiboy wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:

hehe, get on the piss mate??? Very Happy

Jesus Burnsy your too young to be so grumpy! Wink

www.facebook/the hybernators
MickyD 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:00 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread, but anyone that walked from the G to Vic Park after the 1990 Grand Final (especially if you popped in to the Carringbush Hotel) then please take a look at >this thread<.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:16 pm

I watched it at home, old man was ESS, went to the GF Day parade the previous day in the Bourke St., Mall.
After the GF win, I made my way down to Smith St., Punt Rd., & onto Vic Park.
It was packed to the shit, everyone was in party mode, didn’t make it home until the following day.
Hugged so many people, everyone was so happy!

Maybe ‘cause it was the first win for many of us long-suffering bastards, i just remember the feeling being a sense of relief.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:31 pm

Cool bump.

Looking back at the post from 2007:

Presti35 wrote:
I was 9. I remember the final siren and jumping up and down on the couch. I remember my parents saying "I cant believe it" about a million times.

That night, we had a party with family and friends. Everyone was drunk. I remember at night me and my brother on the trampoline bounching up and down while kicking the footy to eachother lol.

My Dad was 33. And we always talk about me beating him. Meaning me getting to see one before i am 33. I have 7 years to go! My brother has 4.

Looking back i really wish i got to take it in a bit more. But being 9 years old , i guess it didnt mean as much as it does to me now. Like all of you, i am absoutly DYING for Collingwood to win the flag.

I beat you Dad! Cool (Which I recall saying to him in 2010)

duke750 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:36 pm

I had moved from Melbourne to Qld’s Sunshine Coast that year and watched it by myself with great trepidation. I remember ringing my mother in Melb with 5 mins to go and she told me off and said “it’s not over yet”.

I recorded it on VHS and played it so many times in the following months that it broke. I had to go out the following day to buy the DVD.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: