Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Peta Searle

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Were St Shitful looking to add to their coaching staff and she was the best credentialed candidate?? Or was a position created for her??
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Who really cares? If she was any good, she would have been recruited by a real club.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:24 pm

dalyc wrote:
Lazza wrote:
dalyc wrote:
And lets hope that Bucks proves you don't need to be a premiership player to be a great coach too! Smile

I stand to be corrected but I reckon the vast majority of VFL/AFL premiership coaches didn't play in a premiership winning team themselves.

Sanderson No
Leppitsch Yes
Malty Yes
Bucks No
Bomber Yes
Lyon No
Scott Yes
Scott Yes
McKenna Yes
Cameron No
Clarkson No
Roos No
Hinkley No
Hardwick Yes
Richardson No
Longmire Yes
Simpson Yes
McCartney No

Yes’s = 9
No’s = 9

I did a bit of research into this topic a few years back. In fact it was when Richmond appointed Danny Frawley as their coach. My premiss was that unless you had played in a GF or coached a team to a premiership in lower grades (eg: Dennis Pagan) that the chances of ultimate success were against you. There were very few exceptions. One for memory was Alan Joyce. Clarko might be another in recent years.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:46 pm

^

Pretty sure buckly played in a senior premiership with Port in the SANFL prior to being drafted to the bears.

Choco Williams coached Port to an AFL premiership but never played in an AFL one himself.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Damien wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Lazza wrote:
dalyc wrote:
And lets hope that Bucks proves you don't need to be a premiership player to be a great coach too! Smile

I stand to be corrected but I reckon the vast majority of VFL/AFL premiership coaches didn't play in a premiership winning team themselves.

Sanderson No
Leppitsch Yes
Malty Yes
Bucks No
Bomber Yes
Lyon No
Scott Yes
Scott Yes
McKenna Yes
Cameron No
Clarkson No
Roos No
Hinkley No
Hardwick Yes
Richardson No
Longmire Yes
Simpson Ye
McCartney No

Yes’s = 9
No’s = 9

I did a bit of research into this topic a few years back. In fact it was when
Richmond appointed Danny Frawley as their coach. My premiss was that unless you had played in a GF or coached a team to a premiership in lower grades (eg: Dennis Pagan) that the chances of ultimate success were against you. There were very few exceptions. One for memory was Alan Joyce. Clarko might be another in recent years.

Are you not counting Tom Hafey, Allan Jeans, John Kennedy sn, Alistair Clarkson & yes Allan Joyce.
Between them all (and not one played in a GF), they have won 14 premierships as coaches. If you do add Pagan, then the completely unsuccessful players to premiership coaches grows to 16 flags.
Ps do you rate Ross Lyon as any good? Sure no flags, but he too is from the non GF player, but bloody good coach group.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:26 pm

^

Jeans did play in a premiership with my Dad for Tocumwal 2nds. I have the photo somewhere. Wink

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:59 pm

Clarkson coached Central Districts to a couple of flags in the SANFL.
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:30 pm

King Monkey wrote:
Were St Shitful looking to add to their coaching staff and she was the best credentialed candidate?? Or was a position created for her??

Take a wild guess... Rolling Eyes
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Good on her but personally I just can't see a woman ever becoming a senior AFL coach and I'd question her ability to become a successful assistant coach of men in the premier football league in the land.

Football is very different to say swimming where women can compete at the same professional level of the Olympics, a sport where I could see a woman being able to successfully implement there experiences and knowledge to male athletes.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:02 am

I dunno, ask Hiss,hes our representative for womens rights, perhaps bertha could advise the club on this.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:36 am

Breadcrawl wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Breadcrawl wrote:

Some people think that the education of the next generation is as important or even, shock horror, more important than footy.

I know, sacrilege, right?

How many education forums do you post on?

There are education forums?

Do you mean VPT?

If you don't get why I'd find it irritating that a chick who can't get a gig as a coach (or couldn't) has to settle for an 'unsatisfying' alternative like being a teacher, then - meh.

Took me a while to understand where you were coming from, but I think I'm inclined to agree—it is a noble and vital profession. It's one I would (and possibly will) give serious consideration to pursuing. Then again, the stories I've heard about modern Australian schools absolutely scare the hell out of me.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:51 am

A win for both parties tbh, St. Kilda improve their bad rep with her signing on, she gets to be an assistant coach at an elite level learn a lot more and by the sounds of people who have worked with her elsewhere she's a pretty decent coach.

Good luck to her hope she does well, and this is an opening for others who are good coaches to get given a chance to be an assistant coach or even an AFL coach in the future if they're good enough.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:15 am

Damien wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Lazza wrote:
dalyc wrote:

Sanderson No
Leppitsch Yes
Malty Yes
Bucks No
Bomber Yes
Lyon No
Scott Yes
Scott Yes
McKenna Yes
Cameron No
Clarkson No
Roos No
Hinkley No
Hardwick Yes
Richardson No
Longmire Yes
Simpson Yes
McCartney No

Yes’s = 9
No’s = 9

I did a bit of research into this topic a few years back. In fact it was when Richmond appointed Danny Frawley as their coach. My premiss was that unless you had played in a GF or coached a team to a premiership in lower grades (eg: Dennis Pagan) that the chances of ultimate success were against you. There were very few exceptions. One for memory was Alan Joyce. Clarko might be another in recent years.

All this stuff just sounds like superstitious nonsense to me. What role does the experience of success actually play in being a good or bad coach? If we're going to bring in playing experience at all, surely you'd prefer someone who played 300 games without ever playing in a grand final to someone who played 50 games and lucked their way into a flag. Honestly, I don't even see why it's important—you can't coach a team to a flag without coaching them to a certain number of home and away wins first.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 am

Let's just hope Milne isn't around.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:28 am

To all the idiots who think Peta got the job because she is a female and it's a token gesture you have no idea. She got the job on her merits. I would put her in front of many male counterparts. There are a few lads on AFL lists now that she has been involved with in developing as footballers. Coached in her own right at many levels. Only thing is she is Female. Time to move forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: