Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Glad we did not Draft Jurrah

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holdencaulfield 

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Redemption is always possible.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/ufc/recovering-heroin-addict-matt-brown-vies-for-seventh-straight-ufc-win/story-fnkjww7x-1226912667968?pg=1#comments

Yes it certainly is
All Liam Jurrah has to do is resolve to atone for his past outrageous behaviour and decide to become a useful member of society. He does not need backslappers and sycophants surrounding him

Is that a new form of therapy or medical intervention? Can you explain the mechanics of how it works, exactly, from resolution to atonement (in the absence of backslappers and sycophants)?

Yeh.
I repeat he does not need apologists, yes men, backslappers all over him.

Pray tell HC,

Where in this thread has anyone been a "backslapper, yes-man or an apologist for Liam's behaviours?".

Where in this thread have I said anyone here has? AFAIK there is only one person here who knows him personally. In any case Jurrah is unlikely to read this where he is now residing.
The backslapping occurs when he he goes to a footy game and is idolised for his football ability and no one dares mention his crimes.
When he says to a reporter "I am hoping to make it back to the AFL" and the reporter just laps it up. Does anyone here really believe that any AFL club would waste a Draft Pick on someone whose life has completely spiralled out of control? Port Adelaide declined to draft him and that was long before his history of bashing women
If he comes out of jail and stays out of trouble and stops bashing women then in about 3 or 4 years time someone may give him another go. (if he is lucky)
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:57 pm

Why shouldn't he be idolised for his football ability? It's really vital that people in prison maintain and develop their skills, and I don't see any point in people not acknowledging that Jurrah is a brilliant footballer, and that his personal life is a bit of a mess. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

As for getting back into the AFL, it doesn't look particularly likely, but who knows. Andy Krakouer turned his life around, perhaps Jurrah will too. Nobody's doubting that he has the talent for it.

Museman 

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Museman wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Museman wrote:
David wrote:

People often confuse making excuses with understanding the role of causality. Making excuses is saying that Jurrah's background justifies his actions. Nobody here is saying that. Understanding the role of causality, on the other hand, is saying that we need to understand that Jurrah's unbelievably tough upbringing has played a huge role in his problems staying on the straight and narrow, and that we might well be in a similar position if we shared his circumstances. That's why I feel empathy for him without in any way excusing or minimising his actions.

WTF? Confused we might not be too David

And this is where your white knight attitude confuses the issue.

Plenty of people from varying racial and social backgrounds have had it tough to very tough to outright horrifying mate, and yet still manage to live a good honest life without straying off the straight and narrow...

While upbringing and social circumstance might prove to be a mitigating factor it does not warrant empathy for one once one chooses, (and that's a very important word because you still have a choice) to cross a certain line.

Where was your empathy for a teenage girl who's upbringing or circumstance may or may not have contributed to her innocently stupid or deeply racial slur?

Oh gawd, Museman, not to pick on you specifically, but do you know how many basic factual and logical errors you just made in that post? Have you even stopped to think about the difference between choosing a flavour of ice-cream and feeling compelled to lash out to resolve feelings of extreme shame and anger?

For goodness' sake, have some comprehension of statistics if you want to make statistical claims, and have some comprehension of cognitive science if you want to make claims about the human brain. Has it ever even occurred to you that when comparing the psychiatries of two humans you're not actually comparing two identical entities? That's why science uses statistics and identical twin studies in order to investigate these things.

David, you're banging your head against a brick wall. This is a rinse and repeat story which obviously needs a new approach.

Trying to explain the difference between the personal stories we need to tell ourselves to create a sense of efficacy and control, and the broader scientific task of isolating causal factors in order to find solutions to complex problems, is apparently a futile effort in many cases. People struggle to fathom how those two levels of analysis can exist at the same time, and feel threatened by anything which challenges their own stories of efficacy and control.

The best analogy for understanding the magnitude of the task you face is something like this: You're trying to explain relativity and quantum physicsand the difficulty of unifying themto people who are still wanting to burn Galileo at the stake.

ohh, here we go..... an "expert"

im sorry I appear to have walked into your office and pissed in your flowerpot.

please do point out for me my factual errors??

and the logical errors, point them out too....

and dreams, I been wondering why we have them for quite some time, it seems I've finally come across the person with the answers(and the irrefutable proof)

condescending much?

my inbox awaits.

I think you'll find there is nothing more condescending on the planet than making pronouncements on other people's lives without having done the due diligence necessary to justify your claims.

You were happy enough to offer your pronouncements on the matter publicly, so forget your inbox. You explain the following to those of us unfortunate enough to have read your superficial nonsense:

1. You said:

"Plenty of people from varying racial and social backgrounds have had it tough to very tough to outright horrifying mate, and yet still manage to live a good honest life without straying off the straight and narrow."

- Which people? How many of them? Which conditions were they diagnosed with, exactly? Which environmental contexts were they in, exactly? What personality resources did they have, exactly? What definitions and statistical data do you have concerning them which gives any meaning at all to your claims, and what argument do you have which demonstrates the relevance of these claims to the person of Liam Jurrah?

2. You said:

"While upbringing and social circumstance might prove to be a mitigating factor it does not warrant empathy for one once one chooses, (and that's a very important word because you still have a choice) to cross a certain line."

- Why does it "not warrant empathy"? Is there some scientific law pertaining to this? Did Jesus tell you it doesn't warrant empathy? Or did you just make that up?

- What do you mean by "choice"? Do you mean like choosing a flavour of ice-cream? Or choosing to sleep for more than two hours a night? Or choosing to write your post in English rather than Tagalog? Or choosing to be a lawyer rather than an Olympic gymnast?

- What is this "certain line"? Where is it and how did you calculate it?

But it's not just you, by any means. It could be any number of posts above.

You have not pointed out a single error, want to try again?

You have simply pointed out that I didn't supply detail.

Inbox was to spare people the off topic rant continuing.

And the dreams?

Last edited by Museman on Sat May 10, 2014 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Museman 

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Once will do.
holdencaulfield 

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:06 pm

David wrote:
Why shouldn't he be idolised for his football ability? It's really vital that people in prison maintain and develop their skills, and I don't see any point in people not acknowledging that Jurrah is a brilliant footballer, and that his personal life is a bit of a mess. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

As for getting back into the AFL, it doesn't look particularly likely, but who knows. Andy Krakouer turned his life around, perhaps Jurrah will too.

You make some valid points.
However the Krakouer comparison is not really relevant as he made one big mistake and got severely punished for it. He did his time and then got drafted into the WAFL where he starred and virtually won a grand final off his own boot. He then got drafted by the Pies where he again starred. He worked hard and deserved all his success. If he had gone around bashing and grogging on and generally spiralling out of control after he got out of jail no one would have touched him with a barge pole,
The sad thing is Jurrah was a brilliant footballer and will be forever remembered as the bloke who could have had a great and illustrious career but instead pissed it against a wall.

Last edited by holdencaulfield on Sat May 10, 2014 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Yes he did, didn't he.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:33 pm

Museman wrote:

And the dreams?

That's the equivalent of claiming goblins exist, and then insisting everyone will agree with you once they see your evidence. Your whole post is urban nonsense.

The fact is, you haven't thought through your definition of "choice" and you don't know what "choice" is in neurological and psychiatric terms; you don't know what LJ's condition is; you don't have any data pertinent to this (undefined) condition and others with said (undefined) condition from which you can draw any meaningful conclusions on the effects of this undefined condition and how easy they are to remedy for certain people with certain available resources; you have no considered justification for not providing empathy to him; and you have no evidence others don't care about the victims of his behavioural issues.

What you've got is gut feelings and inherited assumptions, which is par for the course and would be fine if you granted them the weight they deserve.

Museman 

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:30 am

pietillidie wrote:
Museman wrote:

And the dreams?

That's the equivalent of claiming goblins exist, and then insisting everyone will agree with you once they see your evidence. Your whole post is urban nonsense.

The fact is, you haven't thought through your definition of "choice" and you don't know what "choice" is in neurological and psychiatric terms; you don't know what LJ's condition is; you don't have any data pertinent to this (undefined) condition and others with said (undefined) condition from which you can draw any meaningful conclusions on the effects of this undefined condition and how easy they are to remedy for certain people with certain available resources; you have no considered justification for not providing empathy to him; and you have no evidence others don't care about the victims of his behavioural issues.

What you've got is gut feelings and inherited assumptions, which is par for the course and would be fine if you granted them the weight they deserve.

You are proving to be a big mouth the screams little.

Factual and logical errors......PLEASE?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:00 am

LJ's just a loser. The less said about him the better. The next headline will be "Former AFL player, LJ dead at 28."
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:33 am

pietillidie wrote:
Museman wrote:

And the dreams?

And you've provided no evidence that museman has provided no evidence considering you also haven't taken into consideration of what constitutes evidence from a factual and philosophical derp..point and also that....derp derp derp derp derp....
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:14 pm

What a massive load of nonsense over the last few pages.

The "choice" I believe Museman was referring to, was the one between right and wrong, not ice cream flavours or choosing a suitable career. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes (please correct me if I'm off the mark there Museman).

The rest is just garbage.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:40 pm

King Monkey wrote:

The "choice" I believe Museman was referring to, was the one between right and wrong, not ice cream flavours or choosing a suitable career. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes (please correct me if I'm off the mark there Museman).

Why not ask PTID what he meant by his question or statement related to the use of the term "choice".

What you've noted was not what PTID was referring to - IMO.

I'm sure a few will agree there is a lot of garbage however, they might disagree where the refuse is specifically located.

Bin night is Wednesday night.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:47 pm

^Monday night in my locale. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Museman 

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:17 pm

King Monkey wrote:

Nah, you're on the money KM.

But that's not what PTID is after, what he wants is a philosophical debate on free will, thus his over analysis of my use of "choice".

I worded my sentence wrong and the nit pickers found the hole.

I should have worded it that "He/we at least have the illusion of choice"

I'm going to exercise my illusion and leave it alone, it's an age old unresolved debate fought by people with far superior weapons for the fight than me.
Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:33 pm

watt price tully wrote:

Bin night is Wednesday night.

Rubbish!!!.........It's Thursday night! Wink

Go the Pies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8   

Jump to: