Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-match entertainment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:57 am
Post subject: Pre-match entertainmentReply with quote

Football is not the time or the place to be subjected to the orgy of militaristic self-eroticism that we were subjected to prior to the match yesterday.

Please note ... I am NOT referring to the minute's silence or the Last Post ... or even the parade of war veterans around the ground.

I'm referring to the highly POLITICAL idea of having planes flying over in formation ... and having a team of rambos delivering the match ball in a navy helicopter ... This was just a classic example of bad taste that went way beyond solemn remembrance. This was a situation in which the right-wing AFL, in these belligerent times, allowed the military to flex their muscles in front of a captive audience.

The planes, in particular, were an apalling idea. Their first appearance was unannounced. I didn't see them coming. I just suddenly heard the roar of their engines, and for a split second I thought we were under attack.

There was always a very real possibility that this particular match could have been a target for a terrorist attack, given Australia's involvement in the invasion of Iraq. So allowing the frightening sound of these highly powered aircraft to assault our ears UNANNOUNCED ... was the height of insensitivity and outright stupidity.

This was GLORIFICATION OF WAR. There is no other way of seeing it.

I fail to see how any of this macho sabre-rattling is appropriate to any notion of respect for those who have died or risked their lives in the tragic circumstances of war.

To me, it seems to be the height of hypocrisy to have 70,000 people bowing their heads in silence just a few minutes after they've been cheering a team of trained killers playing war games in our airspace.

LEST WE FORGET ... for if we FORGET ... we are doomed to REPEAT (that's how I interpret it, anyway).

So, by all means acknowledge the tragedy, the sacrifice and the loss of life. And there is nothing wrong with old mates getting together.

But, for Christ's sake ... and for all our sakes ... put the war toys away. They are the LAST thing we need to see on ANZAC Day.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:19 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It was exactly the same pre-match entertainment they had last year. It was Anzac Day and they also had the same planes flying overhead at the Anzac Day march. I thoroughly enjoyed the spectacular Roulettes, however, i do understand your concern and i'm sure you weren't the only one.

Although when the chopper was 'waving' to the crowds, i was very concerned because it looked like it was in trouble and i had visions of it breaking up.

Remember, Anzac Day is a day of rememberence, it's also a day of Militarisation, always has been, always will be and the Game yesterday is secondary to what the day represents.

Mr Pieman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:06 am

Get over it. We lost.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:26 am

Mr Pieman wrote:
Get over it. We lost.

the war????????
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:35 am

I enjoyed the show. It wasn't glorification of war, it was showing what our men and women do in our defence force. It's a day to remember them and to honor their service and sacrifce.

I'm not a fan of the current war but I'm proud of our troops and good on them for being part of a football game, coz after all it's their day, not ours.

Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:07 pm

Alf,

Again you have written your opinion well and with a strong point at hand.

However I completely disagree.

It is the defence forces. That's defence. It is in remembrance of diggers that died defending our national, and for that matter, international interests.

Having a gripe about a bloody helicopter and the Roulettes lends me to the notion that your point stems from a day of overwhelming disappointment.

There is no politics in ANZAC day. With or without a helicopter and five show planes.

Take the entertainment for what it is worth. I saw no diggers complaining. And it's their day...isn't it?

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:40 pm
Post subject: Re: Pre-match entertainmentReply with quote

tessa403 wrote:
Dr Alf Andrews wrote:
There was always a very real possibility that this particular match could have been a target for a terrorist attack, given Australia's involvement in the invasion of Iraq. So allowing the frightening sound of these highly powered aircraft to assault our ears UNANNOUNCED ... was the height of insensitivity and outright stupidity.

Quote:
Don't worry about it, Jen. I'm sure Tess is just having one of his/her hissy fits. Or should that be a "Tessie fit".

Must be THAT time of the month again, dearie.

Never mind sweetie, your poor soft ears should recover, unlike those soldiers that died for our Country love.

I said it last year I`ll repeat it now, your a disgrace!

Well ... that's the last time I EVER come to your defence in an argument.

So ... you weren't just having a hissy fit. You really WERE bagging Buckley.

You ... Tessa ... are the disgrace around here.

And seeing as you love WAR so much ... you got it, baby.

You and I are at TOTAL WAR.

Don't get so so excited there, Tessa. Just because I'm coming on so tough and manly doesn't mean I actually like you.
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:46 pm

I liked the way the war veterans got to go around in cars, and it was nice how some ladies from the war were honoured too rather than all just diggers.

So when i'm lying in my bed, thoughts running through my head and i feel that love is dead...
IM LOVING BUCKLEY INSTEAD!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:56 pm

Oi, no need to get so wound up about it people. There will always be differing opinions, let it be.
Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:57 pm

Great point missmagpie.

It's absolutely essential that the profile of all of our women who served in any capacity is recognised on our great day too.

They were there in the trenches as much as the men were.

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:04 pm

Alf, I actually enjoyed it more than the footy, can't explain why.
zoia Virgo

didak's number 1 fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:19 pm

there was some idiot in our cheersquad well a few of them who refused to remove there hats during the minute silenlance i fine this to be very rude then some were even talking, i didnt say anything coz this guy nutted it and told them off but they contuined to wispearand leave there hats on. God forgive these ppl, selfish ppl
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:45 pm

magpie_1983 wrote:
there was some idiot in our cheersquad well a few of them who refused to remove there hats during the minute silenlance i fine this to be very rude then some were even talking, i didnt say anything coz this guy nutted it and told them off but they contuined to wispearand leave there hats on. God forgive these ppl, selfish ppl

I take it from your nick that you're 20 years old. I applaud you. It's wonderful to see the youth of today have such remarkable integrity. From where I was standing, behind in the hallways of the Olympic Stand, all you could hear was the drunken talking of those who have no respect for anyone, not even themselves. They continually talked through the Last Post and Revellie and also through the National Anthem. I was appalled that the MCC staff didn't tell them to shut the f*** up. And then they spent the rest of the game there drinking.....why did they even bother to come?
zoia Virgo

didak's number 1 fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:08 pm

thanks proud pies, but im proud to be an australian. Im also very thankful for the ppl who died for us, and im actually 19 turning 20 in august
Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:24 pm

I like all that stuff with the helicopter and things. Its a day to show respect for people who fought in the war and the navy, army and air force are a big aspect of that and they should be allowed to give us something cool to watch. Most of all, little kids love to watch it so they should be allowed to. ( except for the little craps who deliberately spilt drink all over my jarrod molloy bag at the end of yesterdays match, but thats a diff story Razz )

Oh well just my opinion.
Love always, Alyssa xoxo
15 in 20 days!!

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: