Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sheehan

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:22 pm
Post subject: SheehanReply with quote

Didnt quite catch all of it tonight , but on 3AW Mike Sh@than was actually conceding that Buckley was the elite footballer. The other commentators gave him a bit of a hard time re taking 7 years to get on the band wagon, but Sheehan seems to indicate that Buckley has stepped up further this year. Dont know how to take that one from Mike , bit like trying to love your mother-in-law.
2 PIES IN CAIRNS Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if that was "live "or not, afisher, but Andrew Hudson alluded to the same thing during the call of the Freo game. Said something along the lines of "Mike Sheahan has finally admitted that NB is a fair footballer".
Guess Mike just wants to be on the bandwagon!!!
BTW, I've met your mother in law, remember....this will get back.

GO PIES
afisher Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:28 pm

We dont want Mikes pats on the back now , I for one was quite comfortable in my distain for him. Collingwood supporters dont like bandwagonners anyway.

2 PIES IN CAIRNS wrote:
BTW, I've met your mother in law, remember....this will get back.

Please dont betray me , It was a figure of speach you XYZ, I was just trying to create a "feeling" that many may be able to relate too.
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:37 pm

LOL is it an understatement to say that Mike Sheehan is not only behind the times in fashion, but football as well?

I think he only puts Hird about Bucks maybe on hairstyles alone, or maybe based on number of appearences on the footy show...

Who knows what is flying around in Mr Sheehan's head??!

Jen

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:41 pm

Lorelei wrote:

Who knows what is flying around in Mr Sheehan's head??!

Whatever it is, it has plenty of room for manoeuvre
afisher Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:16 pm

London Dave wrote:
Whatever it is, it has plenty of room for manoeuvre

lol , excellent response Dave
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:58 pm

Here is his article from last saturday's paper.

He has finally woken up to what we all have known for a few years!!!

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,6736410%255E20123,00.html

MY EARLIEST memory of Nathan Buckley came late in the afternoon of Sunday, September 19, 1993, preliminary final weekend.

Rare talent: Nathan Buckley has become the most rounded player package in the competition.

The phone rang at my desk in the old Herald building in Flinders St, Melbourne.

"Sport, hello," I barked.

"Bux here, mate."

"Bux?"

"Nathan Buckley. `Gubby' (then Collingwood football manager Graeme Allan) told me to give you a call.

"I'm at a public phone on the way in from the airport." He was in town for Grand Final week, and thrilled by what lay ahead for him.

Allan had told him to oblige with a few quotes to go with the article I was writing announcing Collingwood had won the battle for his services.

"I'm definitely glad the decision's been made," he said solemnly. "I only reached the decision in the last couple of days."

As the years unfolded, it has become apparent a decision had been made a little earlier. Probably 12-18 months earlier.

It is a notion reinforced by the extraordinary decision of Buckley's manager Geof Motley and then Collingwood president Allan McAlister a couple of weeks earlier to foreshadow Buckley's impending move to Collingwood.

Everyone knew he was going to leave Brisbane, but he was a Brisbane player, and there were rules relating to movement between clubs.

As rumours circulated that the AFL was more than slightly interested in the suspicion Collingwood might have compromised the draft, the Magpies decided they needed an alibi. The alibi came in the form of Geelong and me.

The Cats were encouraged to believe Buckley was available. They got so keen, then coach Malcolm Blight flew to Brisbane to talk to him a couple of weeks after Blight, Garry Hocking and others played golf with Buckley at Barwon Heads.

I played my part in the ruse by writing (in good faith) the Cats were poised to sign Buckley.

It was never going to happen, of course, and Blighty still bristles about being caught up in the web of intrigue, but, that's how deals were done back then.

Collingwood invested wisely all those years ago when it snatched Buckley from the clutches of, first, the Kangaroos, who signed him when he was a kid at Port Adelaide, then Brisbane, where he played in '93.

He cost plenty to land, but has delivered in spades: 217 games, five best-and-fairests, five years as captain, a Norm Smith Medal, priceless marketing value. Totally professional as a player and a representative of his football club and the game itself.

Buckley has grown into the most rounded player package in the competition. Being at Collingwood helps, but he has blossomed both on and off the field.

It has been possible to watch, read or hear him in his various roles at least eight times in the past week.

On the footy field, in print, on screen, on air, and in front of the general media. Finally, at Bobby Rose's memorial service yesterday.

He was in his principal role at Telstra Dome on Saturday night, in print in the Sunday Herald Sun next day, on 3AW's Sports Today on Monday evening, Foxtel's White Line Fever that night, back on air on Sport 927 on Tuesday morning before fronting a media throng at the club. There was The Footy Show on Thursday night, then finally the service.

Huge workload, even by his standards.

On every occasion, he handled himself with aplomb. Superbly, actually.

Best afield against the Kangas, solid in the paper, forthcoming and lively in his two Monday night commitments, mature and sensitive discussing the passing of Rose and its impact on players, both on radio and in front of the cameras, statesmanlike yesterday.

Soon after venerable MC Tony Charlton announced Michael Malthouse and Buckley would lead the 2003 player list on to the Melbourne Town Hall stage for a rendition of "Good Old Collingwood Forever", Buckley whispered into Charlton's ear, Charlton promptly returning to the microphone to say the captain wanted all past players to join the current group. It was a nice touch at a memorable occasion.

If Buckley was self-absorbed, he's not any longer. He has become a father figure in the team, an ambassador for his club.

When he spoke on behalf of the players yesterday, he said: "We're all privileged to be involved with this club."

It was as if he was born to lead Collingwood. Become the latter day Bobby Rose.

No wonder there are 20 No. 5 Collingwood jumpers for every other number, even if Chris Tarrant might be making some ground. No wonder Eddie McGuire adopted him as a surrogate son.

He is everything the young McGuire dreamed of becoming, and, like the president, a priceless marketing asset.

Buckley's supporters will cry, "Alleluia, the penny finally has dropped with Sheahan". I prefer to think Bux just might have reached a new height in his powers.

As unusual at it sounds for someone at 30 years of age (31 later this month), I doubt he has ever played better, more inspirational, football.

He is averaging 28 possessions a game, should be among the top three or four in Brownlow voting, and is equal fourth in the Herald Sun Player of the Year.

He is in the top 10 in that most respected of statistical categories, hardball gets, with 49 (Anthony Koutoufides leads with 66).

He has kicked 15 goals (15.Cool, only one fewer than the contribution of the most damaging of the competition's midfielders, Michael Voss (16.12).

Eleven have come from outside 40m, eight from beyond the 50m arc.

The scoreboard attendants still gives only six points for a goal, regardless of the degree of difficulty, but bombs from outside 50m count for much more with teammates and supporters.

One of my reservations about him in previous years was his failure to kick goals, either in significant quantities or at significant times.

He kicked 15.19 from 21 games last year, 14.21 from 20 games the previous year. Buckley the cocky kid booted 21 playing on a wing for the battling Bears in 1993.

Those of us with any reservations on Buckley have been swayed by his super performance in the 2002 Grand Final, and yet more excellence this year.

He was brilliant early in the season; he has been super again the past two rounds.

His kicking continues to reach new levels. Precious few players in the competition, in the history of the game, can find targets at his range. Delivering a football to a fast-moving target at distances of 55-60m is a rare talent.

Buckley is a player of rare talent. One of my three or four best so far this year.

Much higher than the ninth spot I gave him at the start of the year
CP 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:09 pm

Does Sheehan think we're all supposed to love him now that he rates Buckley?

All it does for me is show how desperate he is to make amends with the biggest section of the football public.

His recent admission only serves to embarass him further.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:24 pm

I'd like ot know who he rates better than bux? Voss? Goodes? Cousins? can't be hird or kouta, or any other brissy player.

- Ben
Joe 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:28 am

Incredible,there must be a reason,Mike wants a gig at channel Eddie.lol
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:41 am

Did anyone else notice that Sheehan and co. and trying to pump up Bitchmond in the Hun today, by pointing out how bad they are going? Maybe, I'm just looking into it too much. LOL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: