Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Presty and Malthouse

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 1970 9:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and a fine job Hamill is doing for the blues this year too!

ash 

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 8:11 am
Post subject: Presty and MalthouseReply with quote

This may sound stuiped, but I belive MM has been a bit hard
Presty. Last year he tells him to bolk up, which was fair
enough. Has a fantastic year in the backline, and makes a name
for him self, then this year he recruits Wakelin (which was an
excellent pick) and makes Presty spend most of his time on the bench.

Can anybody help me on this theory?

DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 9:58 am

I agree totally with your comments and feel Presty has gone from a guy who was being groomed to take over that backline to a bit part player or meagre thrid string backman.
Its sad but Wakes is doing a dandy job and honestly does give us a bit more run out from the back then what Presty does. But I have often likened Presty to a Dunkley type who rarely gets beaten, and hope this does not affect his confidence or his once blossoming skill level.Presty your may have warmed the bench but you were not forgotten out there on Sunday. Maybey a run up forward wont hurt...Just dont stand on front of A Rocca....

Louis

Dantheman 

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 10:45 am

I reckon Presty is a great player and a top defender.
At first I thought he was a bit crap for a No.9 pick in the draft, but once he approached about 50 games, he suddenly improved. Last year he got a brownlow vote on Matthew Lloyd.
I think he's definetly still an important part of the team.

ytry4 

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 11:43 am

Yeah, I brought this topic up last night on the chat server..

What I don't get is why Malthouse picks him to play, but he spends all day on the bench.. (he did spend all day on the bench against Carlton didn't he?) He was really settling in teh backline, but these stints could hurt his confidence in the long run... But isn't it a good problem to have that even form players can't play in their desired positions?

Don't worry Presti.. WE ALL KNOW YOU"RE A GREAT PLAYER

Go PIES 2001

the prez 

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 3:12 pm

I reckon theres another motive for it.I think MM is trying to send a message to Presti that as good as you have been,you need to develop into a more attacking player in the same way as Wakes & Richo & even Clement.I suspect having him on the bench all day agianst the Blues was a way of telling him,"watch how these guys go about it and think about how you can change your game to suit."It's a challenge to Presti to make him a better and more productive player.These days its simply not enough to just stop your opponent from getting the ball,you've gotta hurt him in other ways that will destroy him and give him something to think about.Keeping your opponent goaless and ehts more setting up several goals up the other end is the way to totally destroy your opponent not just now but every other time he comes up against you,he'll be worried about these things.
MM won't change the team to suit Presti,Presti's gotta change himself to suit the team.
THE TEAM IS BIGGER THAN THE INDIVIDUAL!

GO WOODS

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 5:46 pm

It's the fault of opposition Teams for not having a third quality defender for Presti to play upon. It was lucky Wakelin got a gig against Carlton since they only have Hamill, although admittedly it was nice to see Brendan Ravioli touched-up.

I actually think that if Presti's going to be on the bench, they should use him as a relieving Forward. He was a youth CHF and he might be capable of a bit of pinch-hitting if Jazz, Tarrant, Josh or Anthony are having quiet days, or if Josh or Anthony are required in the Ruck.

Presti could become the next Chris Grant!

Anyway, I think it's worth a try - at worst, it doesn't work. At best, we add even more flexibility and variability to the burgeoning Forward line.

S.
MTA.
ytry4 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 6:32 am

I dont think Presti can be a good enough kick to be able to play up forward.

Go PIES 2001

Broadie 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2001 1:29 am

How can you say that Rowdy? Presti kept him to NO TOUCHES in the Carlton game. Hamill might as well not have been playing

Broadie
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2001 4:13 am

yeah but wasnt whitnall in their backline some of the time? i was actually up in the social club bit for once and when collingwoods forward was up that end im like WTF is going on, cos they swapped all their players around.
also wakelin is almost 27, and just getting to his best; where as presti is only 23.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: