Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Family day/night dissapointment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emdeem 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:35 pm
Post subject: Family day/night dissapointmentReply with quote

Just got back from Rod Laver Arena (did he ever play for Collingwood?) which hosted the family day or should I say the line up day.

I was extremely dissapointed with it being held there.
As is the history in my family, we take a footy to the family day to have a kick on the hallowed turf. Well ashphalt just doesn't do it for me or my son.
I miss dodgeing footys all over the place.
I miss kicking goals at Vic Park.
I miss the smell of that beautiful turf.
I miss the friendly people all joining in for a kick.
I miss open spaces.
I miss free parking
I miss seeing the history around the old rooms.
I miss walking on the ground/mud/grass where all my heroes have played.

Post your thoghts.
I know Vic Park is gone but can we please at least have a football family day at a football ground.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

but what about the fantastic show that they were going to have?
browny4pm 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:28 pm

My biggest disappointment for the night was seeing Zane with his knee in a bandage.

At least now i know why he didn't play for Williamstown last week.
Bones 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:33 pm

Why on earth would it be held there when WE have a nice new setup?

And how much did it cost to hire the Rod Laver area???
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:38 pm

It was good, but lacked the atmosphere like Victoria Park had. There, obviously, were no footy clinics or things like that - as endeem said - no goals to shoot at. HOWEVER, it was still an enjoyable evening, with plenty of music and host Scott Cummings interviewing the players. The players were all over the place and easily accessable.

Good night overall - capped off by a long-awaited tour of Lexus. Smile
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:39 pm

Thanks J26, glad you enjoyed it
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:46 pm

BTW - Report to follow in the coming minutes. Smile
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:27 pm

Collingwood Family Day 2005
Article
19 Mar 2005
http://www.magpies.net/nick/article/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1111180953&archive=&start_from=&ucat=3&

Once again, it was time for the children to bring out the football's, parents to follow them all over the place - in search of an autograph or two - as well as a chat with a player or two. It was again Collingwood Family Day. This season's version had a difference, given that it was the first time the club had held the occasion outside of its former home - the beloved Victoria Park. This season, it was held at the Rod Laver Arena, just an Anthony Rocca torpedo from the MCG. The evening was enjoyable, and relaxed, with players more then happy to offer their signature or photograph for an adoring fan. The players were also keen to give their views on the season ahead, injury worries and a range of other issues.

I arrived at 6:15, amid plenty of parking hassles, which were a real issue for many a supporter. The Arena was decked with Black and White, with supporter’s slowly filing into the stadium. Players were scattered around the court, with a group of eight players seated at a desk, where loyal supporters were required to line up for up to 25 minutes to gain autographs. The players rotated through the stations of autographs and photos per every ten minutes.

The burly former Bomber, Port, Eagle and Magpie full forward Scott Cummings was the interviewer for the night, constantly cracking jokes, and asking players about their prospects for the season.

The players were relaxed, and happy to chat about any issues concerning the season, and were easily accessible. I spoke to plenty of players throughout the night. A few Question and Answers included:

Nathan Buckley:

Johnson#26: How's the hamstring?
Nathan Buckley: Improving, feeing much better.
Johnson#26: Will you be in harness for round one?
Nathan Buckley: Certainly hope so, mate.

Buckley was also asked by Cummings how he coped during the rehab stage. The club captain said he, alongside the unlucky Tom Davidson and Alan Didak, worked hard during the rehab period, and he was looking forward to putting it all on the field this year.

Nick Maxwell:

Johnson#26: Have you seen the website which is sponsoring you this season?
Nick Maxwell: Yep, I had a look around it the other day.

Guy Richards:

Johnson#26: How's your knee coming along?
Guy Richards: Yeah, coming along well. Much better then expected.
Johnson#26: So when do you expect to return?
Guy Richards: At the moment I'm hoping to be back playing footy by round two.

Alan Didak:

Johnson#26: How's the knee coming along? When do you expect to return?
Alan Didak: Not sure yet mate, still have to wait and see.

Tristan Walker

Johnson#26: Do you expect to be playing in the ruck come round one considering the absence of Richards and Fraser?
Tristan Walker: Nah mate, I'm not sure as yet. I'll just play wherever Mick (Malthouse) wants me.

The youngest of the three Cloke boys, Travis, said that he would be happy just to get a game in the seniors this season.

After the evening concluded I went for a much-awaited tour of the new Lexus Centre. The complex looks very impressive, with highlights including the players lounge, as well as the magnificent spa and pool. The players are certainly fortunate to have such luxuries.

Highlights of the evening included:

-The rides and lucky-dip stalls, which kept the children amused.

-The 'dunking machine' - the unlucky entrants from Collingwood were defenders Dane Swan and Ben Johnson - who were dunked into the water on numerous occasions by children, who threw the ball at a target, which released the players into a tank of water.

-David King's new look dark brown hair, which kept everyone asking him questions.

-The amount of time provided by the players - and President Eddie McGuire - to sign anything thrown at them. It was truly a great effort.

Overall, the evening was a huge success, with the majority of spectators enjoying themselves. Although many people thought that the night lacked atmosphere - which came in abundance at Victoria Park - it was still a huge success. One aspect which was lacking from previous season's events was the football clinics for the youngsters. However, the night was truly a roaring success.

*Pictures to be up shortly*
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:42 pm

Understood mg, although it was always good for the kids to have a run around with their heroes on Family Day. Smile
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:45 pm

i was under the impression that there would be some you beaut 21st century screenings or something?
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:46 pm

the Rod Laver Arena, just an Anthony Rocca torpedo from the MCG

you dont need to sai more! I Like it!!!
magpies are 2 good Sagittarius

jacki is hot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:48 pm

tazza, was on the dunking machine as well. it was a ok nite at rod laver arena seein all collingwood supporters bar 2 bulldogs and 1 cats supporter.
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:39 pm

I went there too and enjoyed it. Even managed to get right infront of the stage and took heaps of photos and avi.

Also went to see them train and was really impressed - especially with their last drill. Sort lof like handball footy were if that hit 1 flexi-post they got a score. Very competetive. I think thisis where C1 got hit in the throat and was a bit croakey during the interviews.

Harry O'Brien was a real hoot with his Michael Jackson dance steps. Very funny. Smile

Gotta say that Scotty Cummings did a great job as MC.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:40 am

C1 was very impressive during training. did a great job on Wakes in the first drill which is why Wakes smashed him up. He got hit in the early part of training.

Glad to see him back to full fitness and still a great mark and spoiler in the one on one contest

Was disappointed to see Trav just doing running all session, dont know whats wrong with him

I went to training, then had a wonderful chicken parma at the Cafe, best ever there, and headed over to RLA. Bit boring for anyone over 10 so I disappeared and saw how magnificent facilities and then left.

Should have stayed though, all I did was go out and blow lots of money on the pokies
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:54 am

What was the crowd compared to last year? anyone have numbers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: