Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A message to everyone who's p*ssed off..

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:06 am
Post subject: A message to everyone who's p*ssed off..Reply with quote

heres a message to those complaining..or something to think about anyway...

around the EXACT same time last year, everone was also moaning about the no-names like Molloy, Steinfort, Clement Holland etc who we picked up "they are hacks" everyone cried...

look how that turned out...

i have faith in the board and recruiters..why get Misiti, when we have Didak coming up next year? id rather play didak in the midfield.

unlike SOME members on this board who think their name gives them the right to criticise..i dont care if we need 27 6"5' blonde midfielders to be flag contenders...

HOW ABOUT A LITTLE FAITH AND GET BEHIND THE BOARD FOR ONCE?!?!

John McKerchar 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 1:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood had little to trade with if the principle is applied that a win/win outcome is to be pursued during trading. "Middle Range" draft picks & a young list that the jury is still out on does not provide enough bait for other clubs to relinquish established players for.

The only hope is that if clubs are weighed down so heavily by salary cap problems that they are willing to trade just for financial relief. This is why Peter Everitt & Joe Misiti were spoken about. In the case of the former, St Kilda wanted to claim the most developed of our emerging midfield talent whilst Essendon eventually decided on going cap in hand to their players to take voluntary pay cuts.

To begin to attack The Football Department for their lack of trade activity is a curious argument. The days of swapping players outside your best 18 to other clubs for players in their best 18 is all but over. Only when negotiating for an uncontracted player can a club be forced to trade below a players' supposed worth - just to get "something" for him before he enters the draft system.

Collingwood is entering an interesting era where a greater percentage of our list will be entering the 50-150 game range. This means greater physical & mental maturity on the field and further development of the culture of this group of men, some of whom met as teenagers whilst the Club was at its lowest point. It could be asserted that The Football Department has been careful not to damage the fabric of the team by not engaging in the sort of behaviour seen by Essendon / Hawthorn which surely must affect morale.

Judkins & team have a blank canvass to work with in a draft that has been hyped as one of the deepest in its history. Let us give them a chance to show why The Club spends 100s of 1000s on recruiting staff and their expenses.

Finally, let us not forget the past four years. The debuts and development of Fraser, Lockyer, Davis L & N, Lonie, Johnson & Adkins. To trade away "home grown" talent for a quick fix is to waste those years of pain and possibly putrify a culture that has been carefully nurtured. This is not to say never trade, however it is to say only trade when the player coming in will be in our first 18 and the player going out either wants to leave or has previously been told that he is up for trade.

Trades must be Win-Win because that is the only way to gain respect from the other clubs and most importantly garner self-respect for our supporters, players & staff. Ask Essendon & Hawthorn people how they feel about their clubs right now. If they are honest they will feel a little disenchanted, if they are in denial they will blame the process & The AFL - the line their CEO is currently spinning. If all the clubs conducted themselves with the integrity of Collingwood then the trading period would be a credit to the AFL as a civilized forum for players to change teams.

Hair by Rene

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 1:57 pm

Hear Hear - very well said guys!! I really don't understand why everyone is jumping up and down because we didn't trade, a few years ago we were jumping up and down because we did trade (all be it poorly)and last year it was criticsim after criticism for who we got - would those same people now like to trade Molloy, Clement or Holland?? It is all too easy to sit at the computer and decide who we will trade/get etc etc - I doubt that it is that easy!! Perhaps someone from the recruiting team was at Phillip Island last year (as I was) and saw the disgrace that is Spider - I FOR ONE AM VERY HAPPY WE DIDN'T GET HIM - TOO EXPENSIVE AND TOO DISRUPTIVE. And you are quite right John - my husband and his mates are high mark Essendon members and they are to put it lightly - NOT HAPPY JAN! Keep the faith and bring on 2002 Go Pies!

B&W Phantom 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:48 pm

I agree guys. I for one am not pi##ed off about the no trade. I believe we can be very competitive with the list we have. We showed this year that other teams should be worried about the future face of the CFC. Me thinks this may be a reason behind clubs not wanting to add to our strengths. Think about, is anyone really concerned that Black went to St, we he make them unbeatable NO. Will Croad, farmer and others going to Freo make them a top 8 side NO. So what the hell is everyone worried about. We have a good list of hard workers and skilled footballers. We may have weaknesses but don't all teams. I am excited and I am anticipating further success for the CFC in 2002.

GO PIES!!!!

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 6:15 pm

Great topic, Scott ... and it's good to see a lot of support for your view. I'm delighted with our (non) trading. We've got a very exciting season coming up as our 1999 crop of star youngsters move into the category of seasoned league footballers, and the blokes who've been recruited since then move another step closer to maturity.

**floreat pica**

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 3:24 am

yeah trades must be win-win, imagine being trent croad. u think u have a stable future then find out all this crap then end up being traded to THE worst team imaginable. it was win-win for the clubs (or so they think i personally think it was win for freo and one big %$^£$%^&%% up for hawthorn) but for the player? no way would that be a win.

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 3:54 am

I agree with you guys.
To everyone who's p*ssed off - Get over it.
I'm sure they know as well as we do that we need a ruckman.
But to trade away our 1st and 2nd round draft picks and a badly needed backman and then pay someone more than most of our players (who are bloody hard working and excellent role models) would not have exactly endeared him to the club.
We don't need all the disruption that goes on at the other Clubs.
Roll on next year - we will be going places.

Magpie_Dan Taurus

The KING And I

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 8:04 am

Hey Scott, you have the height wrong but I will forgive you!

I was just wondering how can you play Jill in the side if shes a chick?

hahahahahahahahaha!

Go Pies!

Dan

Go The Richo!

UNLEASH THE TURBO!

Magpie_Dan Taurus

The KING And I

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 8:19 am

Don't worry about the Old Bastard Mike Sheehan I'll take he's pension off him! He'll be out of work soon anyway!

Go Pies!

Dan

Go The Richo!

UNLEASH THE TURBO!

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 10:17 am

I was annoyed when I first heard that we hadn't traded or picked up anyone...that was because I was looking forward to seeing some new faces. I've since thought about and I have settled down. HOWEVER.....the fact remains we need a ruckman. What are we going to do about that?

JDF
Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 11:31 am

Joel - mark my words Josh Fraser will be the best ruckman of all time. He is incredible! Ruckman take time to mature - but he's good enough to be rucking around the grounds now, that says a lot about the guy. MM didn't want him to play one senior game last year, but he demanded it by his sheer brilliance. Give the boy time - next year he will be better, 2003 he will be great. He's only going to get better with time. McKee is seviceable for the first half of next year, coming off the bench. Or A. Rocca for the centre bounces, then Fraser round the ground.

We won't need a ruck in a year, it's stupid to trade heaven and earth, give up three good young draft choices, pay Everit a million dollars over two years, then say sorry Pete, there's no room for you in the side? Or guess what, you're in the forward pocket? No, give Josh time, he will be a superstar.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 11:42 am

Perhaps you are right...we will wait and see I suppose.

JDF
The OX 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:49 pm

I think that what we missed on is Porter, if we just got Porter, and traded players like Betho, Scotland, Lane and McKee away to sides for draft picks only, I would of been happy. To get Porter I would of used these players or the draft pick gained from trading them. If that didn't work I don't know either, maybe CFC did do the best thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: