Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pathetic

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:55 pm
Post subject: PatheticReply with quote

I am trying to look at today’s events with a balanced view and I have come to one conclusion, our recruiting is average at best. Before I start can I ask the usual suspects (Craig, Mike, Alf etc.) not to base their argument on me but on the issues I raise. Play the ball and not the man!

Whoever negotiates trades is not doing their job as they have failed to attract any (anything) quality this year. How come when we were bottom and had priority picks we couldn’t attract quality like Gehrig, Black and Croad like St Kilda and Fremantle have? They had inferior lists and the same draft picks available but they have out traded us year after year.

The reason is simple; our recruiters are living on past glories at another club and not performing. Yes we had a good trade year last year but one year doesn’t mean they can sit back and not afford to trade this year.

I am sick of excuses; we are young, we missed out on finals because of this, we missed out on quality players while inferior clubs obtained these, we couldn’t attract players because certain people wouldn’t deal with us etc. The club is good at giving excuses but so far it is weak at giving answers, which means it is totally unaccountable.

The mark of a club is it ability to attract quality players and in that regard we our failing dismally. Mr. McGuire promised at the start of his tenure that he would actively chase and court big name players out of contract. How many of these players have they recruited? None.

Our list is not good enough to not to trade. If Betheras, Lane, Ukovic, Tuckey, Dimmitina and McKee are the clubs answer to long term success than they are living in the same fanstasy world as previous administrations.

If the administration was surprised at the reaction it got at election time last year than they are in for much worse this year.

The patience line is yet another excuse but now has come for the time to produce. With the current list we have our best finish is a 7th or 8th. We are at least three players from being a contender and frankly we don’t have these players within our current list. The solution to this is attracting quality players but like a number of other things the club has failed terribly to address the problems.

I laugh when people defend this non-trading because they are the same people who defended previous administrations that drove the club into the ground.

In Skob We Trust

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 2:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see your bagging the shit out of collingwood again rohan its becoming that stupid no one really takes much notice of what you say anymore but then again its your opinion

My opinion is this why cry when we dont get other peoples garbage from other clubs which will cost us players and draft picks when we have the best list of youngsters in the competition.

I have faith in mick mallthouse.

Of course we would like to have everitt mckernan misiti hardwicke black croad etc etc but this is a young club when we do become a force it wont be for a season or two, it will be for a decade and when that happens the real collingwood people who stood steadfast behind this club and remained loyal and patient will be rewarded.

Your constant criticism of collingwood amazes me and at times offends me.

IN COLLINGWOOD WE TRUST.

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

[This message has been edited by magpie joffa (edited 09 October 2001).]

magpie24 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 2:36 pm

hmmm at least that is me in my photo lol

******WE WILL RISE IN OUR OWN WAY*****
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 2:37 pm

Rohan, you said:
I laugh when people defend this non-trading because they are the same people who defended previous administrations that drove the club into the ground.

I said:
how the hell can you presume to know what these 'people' were thinking in years gone by? i assume you're referring to the people on this board. if that's the case, we've every right to make our rebuttals 'personal' because most of your arguments are based around unsubstantiated generalisations.

You said:
The reason is simple; our recruiters are living on past glories at another club and not performing.

I said:
yes, Rohan, this is an extremely 'simple' reason - it's also an unfounded and ridiculous accusation. i've no idea why i'm responding actually. you're always the first to criticise, Rohan. your rhetoric is reactionary, yes, but at the same time there's always a yearning for a utopian future. i can think of only one ideology that so utilises scaremongering and utopian thinking.

Mag Rob 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 3:13 pm

I am honestly happy that the collingwood did not trade. I don't claim to be a sports psychologist (yet) but consistently playing in a team with the same players allows for significant improvement. A team in any sport can improve significantly by being aware of the strengths and weaknesses of their teammates and playing to nulify them. For example, take Lica (I admire his dedication to improving his game), at the moment his foot skills are dubious at best, and this year he laid of a helluva lot more handballs and imporved his effectiveness and won the Copeland. Would he have improved as much if both players and coaching staff had not been able to identify his weaknesses, I doubt it, a handball is no good if no-one runs past you to receive it. This year we have learnt alot about our players and I have all faith in MM that he will be able to increase players strengths whilst improving on their weaknesses, over the pre-season. If players or areas of the team show weaknesses that cannot be fixed then I have no doubt that he will instead build game plans around them.

Rohan, also by keeping the team together we will build a close knit team. The Saints and the Dockers will only have a group of players whose combined total head mass will force the afl to open the roof at colonial next year (simple physics: big name=big head). Sure a ruckman may have been a good investment but maybe what we really need is a better ruck coach?

Oh by the way..... Rohan you disgust me.

Go Hard.... GO PIES!

the prez 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 3:36 pm

Going by your post rohan,you define quality in a $$$ sense.i.e. this bloke is on so much money he must be awesome.Quality to me is players who WANT to play and succeed with Collingwood as opposed to wanting to come here cause we'll pay them the most money.Is Heath Black worth $1 million?Would you shell that much out?Quality ain't always defined in a money sense.Clement & Molloy were Quality pickups last year and it had nothing to do with money but what they bring to the team.Thats QUALITY!

GO WOODS

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 3:57 pm

I define quality as Black, Misiti, Croad or Everitt. Not all four but one is not too much to ask for is it?

I don't define quality by cash; I define it by these variables:
1 the player addresses a key weakness
2 the player will give us a few years (minimum 3 years)

Future is an intangible concept and until it is acted on it is nothing more than words. If you see a future with Ukovic, Lane, McKee, Betheras, Dimmitina etc. than your football knowledge is in fantasyland.

Magpie Dan, your lack of intelligence astounds me so therefore I am not responding to any of your false claims. Maybe you had a few too many VB's at Victoria Park and the Cliffton.

In Skob We Trust

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 4:11 pm

Usual suspect here. I still believe that you have CFC at heart Rohan.
I suggest again that if you don't like what is happening don't renew your CFC membership and await the time that we are top 4. Jump on the bandwagon then. We'll be happy to have your money.

Of course I await your election ticket so that we can judge your opinions against the opinions of the incumbents. It is the only way you can change how the club is being run.

Hell I might even vote for you so we can spend a couple of years actually baggin' you without you having a right of reply.

As for this trade period, well obviously any time we tried, the opposition teams tried to screw us. At least we now have the recruiters in place to recognise this and not get sucked into a losing deal.

-Craig

Looking forward to election material in my mailbox.

FAITH

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 4:46 pm

Firstly i want to say that i think that everyone should be entitled to their own opinion. Just because someone disagrees with the Collingwood Football Club they should not be immediately dismissed as being wrong. Clearly if the Collingwood Football Club was right in every decision they made surely we would be playing finals each year. Its very healthy to raise issues and for every one to express their opinion. I think we have a great staff team at Collingwood but this does not necessarily mean i have to agree with every decision that they make.

Personally i saw our main weakness in the ruck department. If i recall during the year many people bagged McKee at one time or another and recognised that this was our main weakness. Now the trade period comes along with ruckman such as:

Porter
McKernan
Everitt
Biglands

Then all of a sudden we are all happy that Collingwood did not make a trade during this period. Personally im very disappointed as with a half decent ruckman we are clearly top 4 material. I just hope next year the same people applauding our non activity in the trade period are not complaining if our ruck division is getting beaten.

I find it worrying that we never seem to be close off a deal when a well known player is at stake.

Anyway thats my opion on the matter.

APA

EVERYONE IS A COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTER ITS JUST THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE IN DENIAL
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 4:51 pm

Rohan,

Fair Dinkum you are one hell of a piece of work. In this post you have contradicted yourself!

You said -
"The reason is simple; our recruiters are living on past glories at another club and not performing. Yes we had a good trade year last year but one year doesn’t mean they can sit back and not afford to trade this year"

The contradiction is that in the last 12 months you have done virtually nothing other than use this BB to bag the life out of our recruiting staff for for what they did last summer and now you say that we had a good year. What's all that about???? Make up your mind about it will you!!!!

The next point I would like to make is -
Where did St.Kilda and Fremantle Finish last season?
Answer - BELOW US!!! Shows how much good their trades were.
Shit, as it currently stands, Freo have no coach and St.Kilda have a board puppet 'coaching' their players, who has very little top level coaching experience. I don't think the St.Kilda FC could run a chook raffle without stuffing it up so dont be surprised if they have screwed up their salary cap and broken some AFL rules in their recent trading. Just wait and see where they finish next year, it will be WAY below us.

You also said you are sick of excuses and the example you gave was - "we couldn’t attract players because certain people wouldn’t deal with us etc."
This is a FACT! Not an excuse. There is nothing you can do about the FACT that X club won't deal with us.

I am beginning to get the feeling that all other clubs are really worried about us and are doing their best to keep us down. They can see an era of dominance beginning and they are all scared shitless. 

In relation to Heath Black, if you read the story written by Chip LeGrand in the Australian you would understand why he isnt at our club. Personally, assuming what I read has some semblance of truth about it, I am thankful that the bottom dwelling scum, St.Kilda, now have him as he will fit in well there. For your information, here is a section of the article -
"Two weeks ago, homesick Docker Heath Black appeared headed to Collingwood. He met Magpies coach Michael Malthouse and football manager Neil Balme. He was shown a video and given their best pitch.

Two days later, word got back to Collingwood that Black was St Kilda-bound. The explanation given, one which would have caused Malthouse to choke on his own moustache, was that Black found Collingwood too professional and too intense for his liking.

The decision appeared a curious one. At Collingwood, Black would have expected to play finals next year and for several years thereafter. At St Kilda, still in turmoil following the mid-season sacking of Malcolm Blight, there are no such prospects."

Following all of this, there is one thing that I must point out, that I have pointed out in the past.
You, myself and 99.9% of all the other people who post on this BB ARE NOT involved in the inner sanctum and have no idea of the discussions the club had internally and externally with other clubs, players and player managers. Therefore NONE OF US can even second guess what went on and why we didnt trade. This is evident by the massive number of "I know for a fact that club X has already signed player X" rumours that were posted on this BB and many others from what I have been told. Unless you are involved in the inner sanctum, you will never know what happened and therfore everything you say is pure speculation. Wait till MM and Eddie make a statement on what happened, if at all, before making broad sweeping remarks about the caracter and integrity of people YOU DO NOT KNOW!

Also dont forget the salary cap. It could be, and we dont know cause salary caps are not public, that we dont have room for guys like Everitt, Black, McKernan etc etc. Another good reason as to why you should shut your trap as you DONT KNOW the facts and figures of our salary cap situation.

Personally my thoughts are that we were not prepared to trade anyone that had any market value, and the remainder were not wanted by other clubs. Thats just a shit load of bad luck if its true and we have to push on and make the best decisions we can on our drafting.

The recruiting staff and MM are employed to do what they believe is in the BEST interest's of the Collingwood Football Club. They were employed by the board that was elected by the MAJORITY of members to do what is in the best interests of the Collingwood Football Club. It will be the members that decide if this has happened, and I believe it has, and so do the majority of members, otherwise we would be having petitions and special AGM's, which no-one wants to happen.

Anyway, I am thankful that we didnt trade for any broken down hacks or wanna be footballers and that we are prepared to back ourselves in the Draft and put our faith in the young players that we have and will draft. Our future sucesses lie therein and with the attitude and stance that MM and co have taken on this issue I have every confidence that we have the brightest future ahead of us in the league. It wont be a short lived sucess story, it will be a long term era of dominance that I see being built. Shit, just look at Melbourne if you want to see an on again off again club - do we want to do what they have done? NO WAY!

So Rohan just shut your mouth, support the club, players and staff (or get elected to the board or get a recruiting position at the club) and hang on cause this is gonna be one hell of a ride over the next decade or so!!

Mark Dillon
Member # 1738

[This message has been edited by dillo_09 (edited 09 October 2001).]
B&W Phantom 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 5:04 pm

Rohan I know ur posts in the past have raised a lot of criticism. I believe you want the best for the Collingwood Football Club as all of us do. However, bagging them and the administration will come to no good. I know ur frustrated because u wanna see the team succeed, after all we have been starved for soooo long.

Just remember mate we are Collingwood we never say die and we never give up. I don't know about u but I don't wanna be remembered as a supporter that praises high when we are and then bags the sheet out of them when we are down.I support Collingwood and when they run on the field my breast swells with pride.

U do make some valid points and in some cases I agree;however, one thing I have noticed by reading differing reports about this trading period is that MM and Juddy are pretty pi$$ed off at how other teams are managing their players. Yep we missed out but hey who knows what we might pick up with the draft. Rohan Keep the Faith and support the club because u love 'em like I know that u really do. Get behind them with us and lift them up to the championship.

GO PIES!!!!!

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 5:15 pm

Great bloody post Dillo!

Last few days in here has sounded like over here. Nothing but whingeing and bleating.

The people in charge of the club are not morons, they are professionals.

Most of the criticisms seem to come when peoples emotions are a little high (not a good time to be rational) or from wannabes who wouldnt have a clue 'how to run a chook raffle', if I can paraphrase the words of Joffa MP3 wisdom.

how many times do we have to say it. Don't recruit duds and don't get screwed just for the sake of 'making a trade'

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Back to work now, enjoy the summer (you lucky bastards!!!!)

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 5:45 pm

Who's Skob?

Is he running for the Administration? Or in the Draft? Or what?

The only Trade I want to accomplish is the one posed to me by my fellow-Rantist the Former Blue Coat: that's to secure Mark Viduka, contract him, then sell him back to an European Soccer Club for 80 million dollars.

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.
The Collingwood Rant.
The AFL Ranting Board.
ed healey 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:45 pm

Rohan should now go by his islamic name.
Bin moaningagain.

To say we havent traded well before seeing who we pick up in the 2 drafts is way premature.and slightly silly.

Last season our trades and draft picks were second to none and the bulk of the squad is being moulded into a good unit.

After the draft selections and the disposal of a few deadwood to cull the list back to the required number then we will be able to guage what the list is like.

Im told that most clubs didnt want any of the players we were putting up as trades and would only trade for our draft picks,the decision to keep them cannot be judged until we see what we get for them.

So Bin skob,dont get your knickers in a twist just yet!!!!
Lets look at the fullpicture before going off on one of your whinge binges.

Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:59 pm

I think there is some very intersting reading here and you can certainly tell who is educated and who isn't when reading the reponses. You can also tell which people judge posts for their content and which people judge them simply by who has written them.

JLC i think you are very fair in saying that everyone is entitled to their opinion and i think as paying members of this club we certainly do have a right to express our concern over issues like this.

I think the suggestion of not renewing your membership with Collingwood would only hurt yourself because at the end of the day when Collingwood win a premiership i will definately want to say that i have been a member and have been to all of their games win or lose.

I also agree with what a few are saying about bagging the club because of the strong desire for Collingwood to be successful which we all want so badly. I am guilty of bagging the club myself at times and have been accused of doing it because i am either not passionate or a bandwagoner or whatever else people have come up with but at the end of the day i badly want to see Collingwood succeed just like everyone else here does and by pretending everything is perfect when we have had such a long finals drought is not going to make it any easier. Anyway to go from missing the wooden spoon by one to missing the 8 by one the next year we have gotta be on the way now surely!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: