Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should they have kept Vic Park?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 2:50 pm
Post subject: Should they have kept Vic Park?Reply with quote

The topic/question has been riding on my mind since the
28th of August 1999. Should they have kept Vic Park? well of course they should have!

Mean to say they have kept Optus Oval and rebuilt there! Why couldnt they do that at Vic Park? Hmmmmm I wonder, it was probably because it is Collingwood and the AFL thinks that its the scum area of Melbourne.

I just cant understand why this didnt happen and yeah I went to my first game there when I was about 4 years of age and I went with my dad and all the ground is now is a training paddock we will call it and a place where people can SQUAT its bullshit!

Go Pies!

Dan

Go The Richo!

UNLEASH THE TURBO!

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

Magpie_Dan Taurus

The KING And I

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 2:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry everybody I am on Joffas computer and when he finished using it I forgot to change the user name! So that topic is from me!

Go Pies!

Dan

Go The Richo!

UNLEASH THE TURBO!

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 4:12 pm

Coming from Bendigo I am much happier now that we play at the MCG & Colonial. They're easier grounds to get to and more comfortable than at Vicotria Park. I love Vic Park but times have changed and we get more bums on seats at the G and Colonial so it's the only way to go I reckon.

Fradam Wrote This
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 4:12 pm

Coming from Bendigo I am much happier now that we play at the MCG & Colonial. They're easier grounds to get to and more comfortable than at Vicotria Park. I love Vic Park but times have changed and we get more bums on seats at the G and Colonial so it's the only way to go I reckon.

Fradam Wrote This
Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 4:16 pm

Mchale stadium is a relic of a bygone era. Optus is too and we are already seeing the first cracks that will see no more AFL games played there. I give it 2 - 3 more seasons at most.
By the time the MCG redovelopment is completed Optarse will be no more.

-Craig

FAITH

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 4:27 pm

Vic Park was a great place to watch the pies, but it's time has passed. Along the lines of BW's thoughts, Princes Park will more than likely be sacrificed to keep Colonial afloat. Princes Park was/is a crap ground anyway.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:26 am

There are a lot of issues within all this.

As it stands now, we could not keep it and proigress at the rate we need to.

We should have been ina better position than Carlton is with Optus Oval by now but you can put that down to lack of vision and political naivety on the part of past administrators. Carlton had the vision and politcal noluse to ensure they didn't loos their groiung to "rationalisation". We did not and therefore we have no real home.

The past is the past and now we can only look forward and make the most of what we do have. Make a new home. It will never be Vic. Park but that's just too bad now.

Dgen 

Nick's BB Member #43

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:42 am

Like Dan, I too was around 4 when I went to my first game at vic park. A few years ago when we were only playing 3 or 4 games a year there it was always good to get back there and watch some footy.

But as the game has become more professional (and expensive) lots of (but not all) fans expect better facilities when they watch a game. Most people at least want a seat.

Also, and of course I don't have the figures, but I'm sure that the deal done with the MCC sees us making more money from games played at the MCG than we would at McHale. In this day and age, if you don't make as much money as you can, you're gone.

We all loved going to Vic Park and watching the 'pies and unless you've done it, you never will.

But ask yourself, is playing football at Vic Park the best for Collingwood?

After you list all the pros and cons you'll probably find that it's not.

P.S. That last game party was alright!

Premiers - 020310171927282930353653589003
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:54 am

yeah vic park was good, but now footys different. i dont see why carlton get to keep their poxy ground. anyway i cant see optarse lasting, good im glad they spent all that money only to be told its gotten the arse anyway.
its heaps better to be at the g now at a big game like essendon, if that was at vic park it would be shit and half of us would probably get locked out anyway.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 8:39 am

Hopefully Princess Park will turn into a millstone around Carlscums neck (there are already signs off it). And John Elliot and Ian Collins are cursed for placing it there.

Interesting that Carlscum can be enticed to play at Colonial by none other than there former CEO, Ian "bloddy" Collins. Whats the deal here I wonder. Hopefully Essenscum find out, and hit the roof, because it is better than their deal.

Greg J
daicos4ever 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 9:07 am

To me Vic Park only really played a cameo role. I am not old enough to know it from the eighties, so i had only gone to one or two games a year there so don't have many great memories.

Apart from that, i loved standing in the grassy area behind the goals with all the old grannies with their umbrellas and their home-made scarfes. It was these reasons that made Vic Park a great place to be, you could just feel the passion in the air.

Times have changed, which is why the Club is looking foward to moving its HQ to Olympic Park, where the Club will have state-of-the-art facilities which will bring about greater success.

It will be sad to see Vic Park go when the club moves, but the relocation is for the good of the Club.

daicos4ever

2002 - The Year of the Pie
BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:11 pm

Victoria Park - The memories linger from the 70's and 80's. I used to sit in the Sherrin stand next to the opposition race and we used to take great delight in abusing opposing teams as they came on to the field. A few of my fondest memories include the then record thumping of the saints by 178 points in '79, a great one point come-from-behind win against carlton and DAICOS booting nine against the tigers in 81.
The memories of Saturday arvo at Vic park will always be there.
BJ

[This message has been edited by BJ (edited 12 October 2001).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: