Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pendlebury...what a champ.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:12 pm
Post subject: Pendlebury...what a champ.Reply with quote

Probably pipped by Heater and Johnson today....but i thought his game really showed what a great player (and important player) he is so fast becoming.

He had to play a different role today. If the bulldogs were to be beaten, we needed more inside midfielders who could get the ball from a pack and use it precisely...i have no doubt Mick gave him some very different instructions today because his game was markedly different. He seemed to execute those instructions with aplomb.

28 touches, 12 contested (was 8 from 12 at half time) at 83%, laid 3 tackles, kicked a goal and had a game high 7 clearances. Had a massive influence in traffic and in packs.

The most telling difference about this game from some of his others (besides the high clearance rate) was the drop in marks (down to 3) and rise in contested possessions. Normally players find Pendlebury with a kick, so he gets a lot of marks, and its he that straightens us up with a precision kick.

Today he got a lot more of his own ball and created options with his deadly handball. Exemplified by his equal number of kicks and handballs.

I personally think he is more damaging when playing his usual game....but its absolutely crucial that mick teaches him to play this kind of inside game as well. Because combine the two (the inside and outside player) and he goes from being a Dal Santo to a Chris Judd.

Great work Pendles.
Cakewalk 

For a minute there I lost myself , I lost myself

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

He was good , and he puts blokes in to space. He just needed to take the onus and snap that goal in the last , rather than look to dish off to Bryan which brought it unstuck.
Mr. Chairman 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:22 pm

wish we had ten of him
Zakal 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:23 pm

Cakewalk wrote:
He was good , and he puts blokes in to space. He just needed to take the onus and snap that goal in the last , rather than look to dish off to Bryan which brought it unstuck.

At a time when a miss was as good as a goal, definitely agree.

I think a little bit of arrogance will prove to be the final piece in the Pendlebury puzzle. When he starts backing himself to pull of bullshit like Leon etc do, and like you say, taking the initiative on his own, he will become a better player for it.

The force is strong in this one...i can feel it.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:25 pm

Zakal wrote:
Cakewalk wrote:

At a time when a miss was as good as a goal, definitely agree.

I think a little bit of arrogance will prove to be the final piece in the Pendlebury puzzle. When he starts backing himself to pull of bullshit like Leon etc do, and like you say, taking the initiative on his own, he will become a better player for it.

The force is strong in this one...i can feel it.

I agree that is the only thing missing in his game is that he should start backing himself to kick goals and not get someone else to do it

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:31 pm
Post subject: Re: Pendlebury...what a champ.Reply with quote

Zakal wrote:
I personally think he is more damaging when playing his usual game....but its absolutely crucial that mick teaches him to play this kind of inside game as well. Because combine the two (the inside and outside player) and he goes from being a Dal Santo to a Chris Judd.

Exactly, Zakal - the great players do both.

ktszyu1 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:38 pm

Agree with you guys, needs to get some arrogance on the field. Is too unselfish.

Brilliant game from our next superstar.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:02 pm

Cakewalk wrote:

He played a great game, but I'm not sure what others thought but I was disappointed when he tried to dish off that kick rather than have a shot. It looked to me that he did not want to kick with his left foot.
Zakal 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:27 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Cakewalk wrote:

He played a great game, but I'm not sure what others thought but I was disappointed when he tried to dish off that kick rather than have a shot. It looked to me that he did not want to kick with his left foot.

Just tried to do the team thing i think. Needs to realise he is better than 90% of his teammates, and just needs to do those things himself sometimes.
Usurper 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:56 am

Easy to say, in hindsight, that he should have had a go. I also think he should have (now that I know that it didnt work out), but he did his matrix thing, found plenty of time in the thick of it, and looked for an option.

Nevermind.

Good game too Pendles. He and Wellingham are the two most exciting to watch, for me, at the moment. I see either with the ball, and I get excited at the good things about to happen.
jimbeam 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:10 am

Our best player just.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: