Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Malthouse smash and bash football can't be played all year

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clement 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:41 am
Post subject: Malthouse smash and bash football can't be played all yearReply with quote

The Malthouse style of footy doesn't seem to be able to be played all year long. For the last two years we have come out of the blocks well but the type of football Malthouse makes us play has a telling effect on the players bodies and by about the 18th round of the season we are out on our feet....literally.

I mean it has been 3 weeks in a row where we just all look sore and sorry including a 93 point drubbing by the lions.

If Malthouse is to stay at Collinwood, he has to come up with another way to coach and another game plan.

One that enables us to survive till the end of the year.

I mean resting players, from important games.

Maltohuses style is to try and make the clearances 50/50 and then win with a harer team in defence than the opposition. But by about Round 18, our bodies are so tired that we are no longer 50/50 in clearances and get thrashed to the point of embarrasment.

In this years draft, we virtually have to reinvent our midfield and try to get a Mitchell or a foley type. Burns has been around for 13 years and we still haven't drafted an apprentice. Sad.

We als need more skilll in the midfield. We have a lot of the same type of hard at it players but when it comes to trying to compete on"Tempo" football, we always come up short. That is because our foot skills are not that good.

i mean when we got infront in the third quarter Richmond just slowed the ball down and chipped it up the field to set up goals. The talent at richmond in the kicking department shamed us and they are second last. Balck and Lappin a few weeks ago was even worse. you think we would have learnt from those bad Grand Final loses.

The Mick Malthouse game plan is a dinasour in the mdern style. We need to get a new "tempo" football game plan and players who can deliver and pass the ball with hand and foot without coughing it up all the time.

The MMstyle of footy is very hard on the bodies and by round 18 of each year, we look as if we are shot and we limp along and finally someone puts us out of our missery like the WB last year.

We need to come up with a new idea.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a deep breath, mate. Have you had a look at how many first, second and third-year players are out there? There's a good reason why Clarke was rested. Goldsack should absolutely have joined him; he's been stuffed for weeks. Pendlebury's foot injury might have done him a favour.

We've got a few veterans and a lot of players with less than 50 games under their belts. It's not the game plan, it's experience and fitness. 19 year old bodies simply aren't as resilient as 23-26 year olds, it's a fact of football life.

We had to hit the wall sooner or later, Malthouse predicted it himself. A number of us on Nick's have already said we could see this coming for weeks.

Clement 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:54 am

We hit the wall last year too.

No excuses about young players. Richmonds list was just as young. Carltons list is even younger.

Each year you are rebuilding and have young players on your list. it is a continual rebuilding process.

I am talking about our style of footy.

We keep doing the same thing every year. Great first half, bad second half and there must be a reason.

I reckon we need to have a few different types/styles of footy.

Malthouse has a hard nosed style and that hurts us in the long term for the second half of the season.

We haven't gone the distance last year or this year.
favourites 2008 

The Machine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:55 am

8 threds in one night, dave the man is jealous!!

*** Presses the ignore button next to Clements name ***

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:57 am

"Clement" has been here long before 1 August 2007, I'm guessing. And in many different guises.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:11 am

Clement wrote:
We hit the wall last year too.

No excuses about young players. Richmonds list was just as young. Carltons list is even younger.

Yes but how many games have they won?
We are going through a trough at the moment as the majority of our players are flat! or carrying some injury. I hope we can get out of it as soon as possible otherwise we can kiss the 8 goodnight! The boys are trying we probably ran into the best richmond of the year!!!! You can't be on top all the time. The season isn't over just yet! there are better times ahead including the return of a certain Buckley and maybe an inform Didak.............
Clement 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:38 am

We could get Greening and Price and the Coventreys and Colliers and Daicos, Tuddy and the Richards and Richardson brothers back and we still would struggle.

We just got beaten by a side who has won one game for a whole year.

Sad, very Sad.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:44 am

What happened, G.under? I thought you liked Mick? I remember the name what was it again? Micks My Favourite? Smile

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Clement 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:50 am

You blokes don't think much at all.

Think about the style of football we play at the start of each year and how is disintigrates latter each year. Ask yourself the question, Why?

Why can't we keep up the standard we play up to July all the way through to September?

It is not the youth of the players because the two lists we just played are younger than us.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:27 am

MM is passed it
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:38 am

Pied Piper wrote:
"Clement" has been here long before 1 August 2007, I'm guessing. And in many different guises.

give the man (er Christie Malthouse?) a cigar Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: