Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Thoughts on the rest of the year

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfer1 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:03 am
Post subject: Thoughts on the rest of the yearReply with quote

Realistically we have already done better than expected. I personally think to make the 8 will have been enough for this year. Hopefully with the draw we will achieve that because it lets me see Collingwood play in September.

But we are not going to win the premiership. So why not use the rest of the games to keep blooding young players. At the moment we are a tired looking team.

Lets give Cox, Cook, Stanley, Iles, Nicolls, Dick and Toovey exposure in the firsts. Very Happy
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

First step is to reload after last night.
second step is to do what we've done all year, play kids when their form warrents it and a spot is available, not just for the sake of it.
third step, win enough games to make the finals in as high a spot as we can.
fourth step, once we are playing finals, anything can happen. The GF isn't won by the best team in the home and away series, it's won by the best team in the finals.

ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:13 am

i think Iles deserves to be a permenant fixture.
He didnt really deserve to get the chop IMO.

I would love to see Cox really come along. He has the poise and skills, if he puts his head down, he can really be a player.

Stanleys and interesting one. I dont know if we can fit him in atm but he has the credentials to be a really good hard at it player.

Toovey, im not sold and i would rather see games pumped into someone else, for the minute.

Dick. He is too small at the minute. He has the skill and bundles of it but hes bodies not ready for AFL.

Nicholls. I think he deserves another crack in that ageing midfield. What he showed against the Eagles isnt him, hes alot better.

Cookie, i would love to see Cookie on the wing or half back. Hes all skill and knows how to rack them up.

Do we give them a go? Not at the minute. We are still very much so in the hunt for top 4 and with the draw weve got we just have to get a little momentum happening and nothing will stop us.
If we drop 2 or 3 games, scrape into the 8 i think we should give a couple of them a crack.
Albow Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:13 am

Just remember we were belted by cellar dwellars Fitzroy leading up to the finals to the the tune of 80 odd points in 1990.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:15 am

You believe that? Tell me more about your it. What kind of food do you like? What's your favorite movie? Did you know that you can download your own chat robot and create your own robot personality?
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:33 am

So if we do play our up and comig kids, and I think we should be playing more of them at the moment, who goes out?

My changes would be:

Out: Lonie, Licuria, Didak (rest), Goldsack (rest)

In: (from) R. Shaw, Clement, Isles, Cox, Stanley, Toovey, Dick, Davies.

Richards should stay in on the basis that there is no viable replacement for him at the moment.

The good thing about these changes is that we have good players to replace them.

ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:38 am

depth means alot and we can work on that now.

Not sure if i would get drop Didak or Goldsack.

Clement means alot to the side, leadership, experience and just his brilliance. The side will bounce back.
pies417 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:44 am

Albow wrote:
Just remember we were belted by cellar dwellars Fitzroy leading up to the finals to the the tune of 80 odd points in 1990.

No we weren't Hawthorn belted us and they were back to back reiging premiers. we smashed fitzroy and North Melbourne in th run to the finals
themonk 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:14 am

A loss to Carlton or Melbourne and we will miss the finals. Crying or Very sad
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:24 am

I'm getting a little tired of this "we've done better than expected" every time we lose. Most Collingwood supporters would've had the team finishing in the bottom half of the 8 which is where we were before last night and still are today. We've now set new a standard and shoud expect a top 4 finish, no excuses. Anything less would be considered a failure. I don't expect to win the flag, never did, I do understand the club has a built great foundation for sustained success but top 4 this year and at least one finals win is a must
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:26 am

Need to almost win all of out Games Left
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:45 am

ad4eva wrote:
depth means alot and we can work on that now.

Not sure if i would get drop Didak or Goldsack.

Clement means alot to the side, leadership, experience and just his brilliance. The side will bounce back.

I would only drop them on the basis of a week or two rest. Didak is well off his best and is not properly fit. His leg speed and field kicking is well down. Maybe a break will do his body good.

Goldsack tries his guts out always but maybe he is losing his edge due to fatigue. His kicking the last couple of weeks has been off and lacks penetration. Once again a short break to bring him back to his best would help.

One of the youngsters will have to come in to replace Pendlebury anyway. Lonie adds nothing of value and remains very suspect under pressure. I thought Cox was a more than adequate replacement for him. I think Stanley showed enough in his couple of games to give him another go.

Licca should be played mainly against teams that lack midfield pace. He will always exposed against fast mid fields.

I also wonder if Burns is entirely fit as well. The last two or three weeks his impact has been less.

I think a priority for the recruitment panel (besides a ruckman) is a fast midfield type or two.

Our depth will help us through if its intelligently used.

choppa 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:39 pm

if we lose to ANY of carlton richmond or melbourne we dont deserve to be in he top 8. its crunch time
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:51 pm

choppa wrote:
if we lose to ANY of carlton richmond or melbourne we dont deserve to be in he top 8. its crunch time

True if we lose any of those game even Bottom 4 could still happen

Albow Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:54 pm

pies417 wrote:
Albow wrote:

No we weren't Hawthorn belted us and they were back to back reiging premiers. we smashed fitzroy and North Melbourne in th run to the finals

Good point pies417, We were demoralised by Hawthorn then we come back the very next week to smash Fitzroy by a similar margin. Guess my memory is on the downward slope at the ripe old age of 28. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: