Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Flat Pies - The Age

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:08 pm
Post subject: Flat Pies - The AgeReply with quote

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/why-the-pies-are-flat/2007/08/14/1186857513250.html

The tiring Pies
Jake Niall | August 15, 2007

Quote:
BACK on July 10, when it was about to confront Geelong, Collingwood's most recent premiership captain, Tony Shaw, dared suggest that the unfashionable Magpies were a legitimate premiership contender.

Five weeks later, Collingwood has sunk to seventh, and despite what was viewed as a generous run home, it is swaying, having been smashed by the Brisbane Lions and embarrassed by a team that hitherto had won only one of 18 games.

Other than stating the bloody obvious this sheds little to no light on the Pies situation, However, I have a sneaking suspicion that the fear of failure that has dogged our club for 50 years is a ghost that still haunts us. When will the players start believing they are the best and play with the same hunger they show when their backs are against the wall? We are the antithesis of front runners. Perhaps a bit of vocal help from the terraces would not go astray. Lift the lads when they are down, rather than sinking the boots in the way the vast majority of Magpie fans do.

The time is NOW to toughen our resolve. Forget about ladders and even the score. Play every contest like it is the last. Kick for goal like it is the final siren of the GF and we are 5 points down. Tackle like the player with the ball has just grabbed your wife/girlfriend's breast and is doing a runner!

Play tough, play hard, play like Bobby.

Last edited by die4pies on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

When I am at the Game I Try to Lift the Boys
Clement 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:15 pm

Great post Man

"the fear of failure that has dogged our club for 50 years is a ghost that still haunts us"

Are you Shakespeare in disguise?
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:16 pm

the last point was spot on though.

when we are underdogs we almost always win or at least play our hearts out and come really close

when a win is on the table, such as richmond or melbourne, we stuff it up.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Clement wrote:
Great post Man

"the fear of failure that has dogged our club for 50 years is a ghost that still haunts us"

Are you Shakespeare in disguise?
Thanks for your support. Where did post Man the fear of failure that get dogged our club for 50 years is a ghost that haunts us Are you Shakespeare in disguise?
Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:20 pm

The Tiring Pies written by Jake Niall

What a f$#%&n genius.
We have all basically spoken about this over the last few weeks and this bloke who thinks hes stumbled across some media magic gets it printed.

No Shit Sherlock.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:22 pm
Post subject: Re: Flat Pies - The AgeReply with quote

die4pies wrote:
Kick for goal like it is the final siren of the GF and we are 5 points down.

You mean put it out on the full again?
Clement 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:23 pm

They put it on the front page of their sports section and doubled the amount of sales they made immediately.

That is da Pies for you.
Yobbo^LuKa Libra

=[(World Champion)]=

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:24 pm

Journalist and Dole bludger are very similar...You write a story/make up jobs you have applied for. Then people have a crack at you for being a dickhead/pretending to go for jobs.

I think these social paracites, journalists before dole bludgers I might add, should take a hard look at themselves and stop writing the complete and utter bullshit they put to print.

Clement 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:25 pm

Carefull, most journo's are lurking here at Nicks for their next story.

They might hear you and you might hurt their feelings.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:26 pm

Yobbo^LuKa wrote:
Journalist and Dole bludger are very similar...You write a story/make up jobs you have applied for. Then people have a crack at you for being a dickhead/pretending to go for jobs.

I think these social paracites, journalists before dole bludgers I might add, should take a hard look at themselves and stop writing the complete and utter bullshit they put to print.
Humans are not always infallible.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:54 pm

Nice one D4P. I particularly liked the bit about grabbing tits and doing a runner. To be honest, I've never thought of football in that way. You've got me thinking though!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:41 pm

Moronic thread. It's a perfectly valid article, as newspaper footy articles go, and reasonably insightful. What would you prefer to read? Go on, say what that article should have said, seeing as you think it is so bad.
Ah Tibor 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:49 pm

Haha - Gary Lyon writes a positive one and gets praised, Jake Niall writes a similar one with a slightly negative tone and he gets caned! Well written article and covered many a good point. Don't be so precious..

I believe Alan Didak is the reason why we are struggling (club lost momentum as a whole), but I can't be fagged going into that here.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:27 pm

There is a real need for answers to that question, Ah Tibor. I'm not sure that I buy the Alan Didak explanation - though Didakat his best is worth 3-4 goals a game to any side when you remember the passes as well as the ones he scores himself - but I []do[/i] agree that we need to find the answers.

My explanation - only a part explanation, but maybe a vital part - is psychological. We spent the middle part of the season with the kids on a massive high: boys sent out on men's errands, and doing it bloody well. The likes of Dick, Cox and Toovey playing in the black and white for the first time; Pendles and Harry thrust into positions of great responsibility that would normally go to a senior player with 50 to 150 games; Goldsack and Marty throwing themselves into the massive task of beating Sydney at home with all the regular backmen out and achieving the impossible .... the kids were loving it, and the old hands picked up on that vibe and were playing with all the energy of their younger teammates.

Then, one by one, the injured old hands started to come back into the side. They were cold, just back from injury, and not in form. At one and the same time, we started leaving good kids out of the side through no fault of their own, and replacing them with senior players that were, in reality, not as good as the kids had been. Every week another senior player was threatening to take a youngster's place, and ...... all of a sudden, the players who had done the job for us were looking over their shoulders, wondering what colour jumper they were going to be playing in next week.

We are not playing like a team anymore. It's 22 individuals out there, all worried about their form, their place in the side, where the side is going; all feeling the acumulated strain of week-in, week-out footy, dropping their heads and geating thumped by Richmond.

Form is a fickle thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: