Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you do after 1990?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:25 pm
Post subject: What did you do after 1990?Reply with quote

What are your memories of the day? What did you do? What were your initial reactions? When did you think we had it sewn up? Where did you go afterwards? In other words, what's it like to win a Grand Final? Could you really get on with the rest of your lives? Was it easy to gloat? When did the gloss finally wear off, if ever?

I feel really envious of those with the 'Carn the Pies 1990' badges, along with Millane, Daics, Tony Francis and co.

I was yet to be born @ the time. I'm still waiting.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only 6 years old, I remember some in the house weren't very confident after Browny was felled at Quarter Time then we saw the Magpies settle down and start to pull away from them. I know at half time I walked out side with my football and was kicking the ball around, the 2nd half started and I watched the rest of the game, I got told not to be too excited at half time due to the previous years, or at least I remember the talk about the previous horrors in Grand Finals..

Came back in and watched them win, we then had to take a family friend home, and we just celebrated, not as much as it was for the 1999 TSFL Grand Final, as we were able to join in with that one because of it being local, and were able to get more involved in the build up.

But it was a great day, I watched the game over and over again for years after.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:36 pm

I watched in on tv with the old man, he's an Essendon supporter. He left at qtr time to watch it at a friend's place as a result of me going nuts over the all in brawl. lol
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:37 pm

i ate, i drank, i watched on tv, i cried. i did not go to vic park, in too much of a state.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:37 pm

Never New we Won until about 3 Years Later.

I was only 4 When we won

swooper 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:39 pm

I was in the USA and stressing about the result. I had been travelling and wasnt even sure where we were at with finals - due to the draw with WC...you gotta remember this was pre-internet and mobile phone days! (yes, remember those days??!!!).

Anyway, I finally rang home and spoke to my father who told me, ever so casually, that 'Oh yeah, they won...didnt you know??". I'll never forget those words as I almost fainted on the line. I then remember him telling me that 'they hadnt stopped partying yet'....

It was a weird feeling being so far away from it all and I remember feeling euphoric...and then sad because I wasnt there. I remember trying to tell my american friends that my team had just won a premiership, but it was kinda hard for them to get what I was talking about.

So I just remember feeling kinda numb and an amzing surreal feeling. When I got home several months later, my brother had video-taped heaps of stuff for me, and when I wathched the game - I just cried! Seeing Tony Shaw fall to his knees, arms up in the air...... amazing stuff!
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:40 pm

was the year i was born Wink
im pretty sure i was sleeping or something Very Happy
but spent the next 10 or so years watching it over and over on tape Very Happy
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:43 pm
Post subject: Re: What did you do after 1990?Reply with quote

Johnson#26 wrote:
What are your memories of the day? What did you do? What were your initial reactions? When did you think we had it sewn up? Where did you go afterwards? In other words, what's it like to win a Grand Final? Could you really get on with the rest of your lives? Was it easy to gloat? When did the gloss finally wear off, if ever?

I feel really envious of those with the 'Carn the Pies 1990' badges, along with Millane, Daics, Tony Francis and co.

I was yet to be born @ the time. I'm still waiting.

Hopefully that can fix that in 4 Weeks Time Very Happy

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:43 pm

good post btw. i was watching the road to victory a couple of nights ago and was wondering how old many of the nicksters were then. it took me 18 years to see a flag which was a lifetime back then. now it's nearly that again since the last one. Sad
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:45 pm

Watched it live in Darwin.

Wasn't overly confident at 1/4 time, but when Starcs got felled, I had a feeling that would be what would get us over the line.

Couldn't celebrate the win as I had to head off to speedway (I was an infield marshal at the time), but once the meeting was run and done, I partied like it was 1999.

Hooked
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:48 pm

Dale61 wrote:
I partied like it was 1999.

and when you finally got to 1999, how was the party? just like 1990? Very Happy

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:50 pm

Jock McPie wrote:
Dale61 wrote:
I partied like it was 1999.

and when you finally got to 1999, how was the party? just like 1990? Very Happy

LOL Jock Laughing

Gazza05 Capricorn

BRING ON SEASON 2010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:00 pm

It was a big build up we went to the drawn final against West Coast and also the replay. I couldn't get to the Prelim so had to watch on the TV as we knocked off the Bombers.

The Grand Final I went with a couple of mates and sat in the Southern Stand. The fight happened directly in front of us. When Browny went down I thought here we go again. Salmon was also looking dangerous. But we kicked on and won. I never thought we had it won until I think Barwick kicked a goal in the last quarter.
It was the BEST feeling like a weight had been lifted. We caught the train to Victory Park (Vic Park) and the train was going off with everyone singing the song. Then we bought a couple of slabs and took them into the ground as it was too hard to get a beer in there...The rest is a bit of a blur I have to admit..

Then came the next day seeking out revenge on all those anti Collingwood people....
Still think if we hadn't have lost Darren then we had a couple more Grand Finals in us..

Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:14 pm

I sat a metre from the tv at home when the game was on. I was 16 at the time. After the game ended I nearly had some man tears, but held off. I remember being extremely pleased and happy. After the tv broadcast was finished and the lap of honor over, another magpie mate came round to my place and we had a kick of the footy out the front. I remember being excited for weeks after.

I think you celebrate a win differently when you are young. They tend to be low key I think. Now that I`m older, I would celebrate a Collingwood premiership with a trip to victoria park if i was up to it, and would need a week off work for sure.

1990 was a year that you just new we were going to win it, you had that feeling all year. With the 2002, 2003 grand finals, I was hopeful but not confident during the year like 1990.

Tell ya what though, the next flag we win will be the biggest celebrations seen in Australia (mainly victoria). Looking back at 1990, and how the news coverage went on for days and days after showing celebrations and events, it was amazing.

Nothing beats the passion of a Collingwood person, nothing.

Go the Pies
The Weed 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:15 pm

Paid $90 for a standing room, or as i call it the best $90 i ever spent, stood next to a Pies fan from Nth QLD who said the last game he saw was the 1958 Grand Final which i took to be a pretty good omen. After game walked to Vic park with some mates and stood up on the visitors players race to get a good view of proceedings. Went back to Vic Park on the Sunday, Heath Shepherd was the drunkest of all the players and he didnt even play. I couldn't even imagine having that good a time again. Mind you even though everyone hated us in those days it was nothing compared to now so maybe it will be even more enjoyable next time. I hope all the young Nicksters get a chance to experience it soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: