Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

110 Years Ago Today

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 6:13 am
Post subject: 110 Years Ago TodayReply with quote

110 years ago today, Collingwood's first match report was published, the Club having been formed at a meeting at the Grace Darling Hotel on March 11, 1892. The attendees at that meeting were: Tom Sherrin, Wal Lee, Jack Joyce, E.L. Wilson (appointed Secretary), E.W. Copeland, J.H. Duncan, W. Davies, R. McFarlane, F. Stock, A.E. Bayfield, the Hon. W.D. Beazley M.L.A. (elected President), T. Yates, J. Hancock and T.G. Marshall.

Here is the first ever match report of a Collingwood game (played May 7, 1892):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Argus - May 9, 1892

The football season opened on Saturday, when the weather was favourable to play. The largest attendance was at the Victoria Park, Collingwood, where the new senior twenty representing that suburb met Carlton and were beaten by 3 goals to 2, but only after a fine, fast game, in which Collingwood showed to advantage.

The Collingwood Club which has this season been admitted to the senior association, opened its career and the season on Saturday with a match against Carlton, the game being witnessed by over 10,000 people. The playing ground in the Victoria park is all that could be desired for football, the stiff clay having been freely top dressed.

An embankment covered with cinders has already been run round the ground, and a grand-stand is being built. Locally great interest is taken in the team, the club flag, hoisted for the first time on Saturday, having been presented to the club by its president, Mr Beazley M.L.A., while another resident, Mr Vincent, presented the players with a set of caps.

Collingwood took the field with a team composed largely of juniors, though seven of the twenty had played as seniors either in Victoria or Tasmania. In physique they can hold their own with the heaviest of the older senior twenties.

In the absence of Delahunty who has been elected captain, but was unable to play, Watt the vice-captain, led the team.

Their colours are black and white in diagonal stripes. In the opening play Markham was conspicuous in defence for Collingwood. Allan early in the game became prominent for his good all-round play, and forced the ball to the Carlton end, where Button stopped a rush that was looking dangerous.

Collingwood were playing the little marks better than Carlton, and broke the rules less frequently. Proudfoot helped Allan in another charge and next Strickland, Simpson and G. Williams were conspicuous by their good work for Carlton. In the ruck Collingwood early showed the possession of two hard workers in Langford, of Tasmania, a splendid all-round player, and McInerney, formerly of Fitzroy.

With a rush, in which McOwan and Simpson were the prominent men, Carlton took the ball the length of the ground and Mathieson scored first goal for the visitors. With Collingwood on the defensive, Jones, Murphy and McLoughlin in turn came into notice, Murphy especially being invaluable to his side, in addition to working hard, his height helps him in marking amongst the ruck, but he kicks poorly.

P. Williams and Roberts were forcing the Collingwood defence when the quarter closed with Carlton a goal to the good. On changing ends Langford and Allan did some rattling work in the ruck, and there was loud cheering when Toll kicked first goal for Collingwood. Roberts retaliated with one of his paralysing rushes, and Geddes, who was playing as finely forward for Carlton as was McOwan back, got second goal for Carlton from a close shot.

The game was fast enough for the closing game of the season, and Collingwood had clearly not taken the field unprepared. In a period of brilliant play at this stage Allan, Langford and Murphy on the one side, and Simpson, Geddes and Roberts on the other, scored all the honours. One of Carlton's new wing men, Bowen, was also playing a very cool and thorough game. Smith, Langford and McLoughlin had in turn chances to score for Collingwood, but all missed.

Up to half-time Allan and Smith were the workers for Collingwood and McOwan for Carlton, who kept their lead of a goal.

After half-time Walton had his hand bound up, his finger having broken in a struggle, but he still kept command of his team. Murphy twice turned Carlton charges that promised ominous endings for their opponents. Richardson gave Mathieson another chance, but he missed it, and Simpson similarly favoured Roberts, with the same want of success, though the last shot was a good one.

A fine kick by Roberts gave G. Williams a mark right in goal, but he missed an easy chance. Some fine play by Strickland kept Collingwood still on the strain, which was eased in the wrong way when Geddes after a splendid mark got third goal for Carlton.

Tom then had two long shots at the Carlton goal, and showed that he could get over an exceptional distance, but he failed to score. Just before the final change Collingwood was being seriously menaced. Although leading by two goals Carlton was not yet quite safe, as their goal kicking was not too good.

Langford made a bad mistake on the change of ends by racing away with the ball in the wrong direction. Carlton kept it there, and had three close misses before it was got away. When Collingwood did attack they did it with effect, and a fine long kick by Proudfoot just got the ball through and scored second goal.

Nothing but bad luck kept Carlton from going ahead at this stage, for several good shots for goal were all only slightly astray. Watt set his team a bad example in aiming for goal and getting as far away from the posts as he could.

From some hard play in front of the Carlton posts Lamley passed to Proudfoot, who failed to get to goal, and this was Collingwood's last chance, though Carlton went very close to a fourth goal from a fine shot by P. Williams just before the bell rang.

Collingwood although beaten are to be congratulated on playing a fast and fair game, Carlton breaking the rules about twice as often as their opponents all through. The new club's form in this match was superior to that shown by either Richmond, St. Kilda, Port Melbourne, North Melbourne, Footscray or Williamstown last season, and they promise to be a formidable in the second flight.

For the winners, McOwan, Simpson, Geddes, Roberts, Strickland, P. Williams and Sutton were the more notable players; while on the Collingwood side Allan, Langford, Murphy, McInerney, Lamley, Proudfoot, Toll and Jones were best.

Hayes a junior umpire, officiated in the match, and, like some of the junior players, did remarkably well, for although he missed a few breaches of the rules, this is almost inseparable from the present method of umpiring, and otherwise he was fast, cool and prompt in his decisions, though a bit too quick sometimes in calling for the ball up from the scrimmages.

The following are the scores: Carlton 1.2 2.4 3.6 3.13; Collingwood 0.2 1.5 1.9 2.11

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 09 May 2002).]
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 6:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally posted that Collingwqood's first game was 110 years ago today, but I had my 19th century dates mixed up. The game was played on May 7th and the match report published on May 9th.

So the Pies first game was played 110 years ago last Tuesday.

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 8:24 am

How appropriate that a Wilson was at the first meeting

Fradam Wrote This
Dgen 

Nick's BB Member #43

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 9:50 am

Great article Mike. Do you actually have 'The Argus' that it came from?
I know that a club with a history as long and proud as ours will have something of historical importance happen just about every day but I would like to see more made of May 7th. I remember May 7th 1992, I went to work with black and white hair, a Collingwood jumper on, black jeans, one foot had a black sock and white shoe and the other had a white sock and black shoe. (I shan't mention the game of football that night, argh!).
The thing I found most interesting in the article was 'Their colours are black and white in diagonal stripes'. Excuse my ignorance, but I thought we started in verticle stripes. If anyone has a picture of this original jumper I would love to see it.

'caveat pica pica'
Black_White 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 10:57 am

"Great article Mike. Do you actually have 'The Argus' that it came from?"

Begs the question; Just how old are you Mike??
Seems Dgen thinks you've been around a while!

-Craig

Dgen 

Nick's BB Member #43

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 12:33 pm

LOL Craig.
I actually thought Mike be a bit of a collector!

'caveat pica pica'
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:19 pm

ah yes i fondly recall that game back in 1892. i was but a young man, and my idol was the inspirational Magpie captain Delahunty. unfortunately he didn't play that day against carlton because he strained his back while digging for gold.

i fondly recall heading back to the 'Ye Olde Crickters' Arms' after the match with Mr. Joffa and JLC Esquire, where we each drank shandies.

drunk as a skunk, i got on my horse to ride back home but i was caught by a Booze Wagon.

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 2:23 am

Yes Captain Delahunty was out with a digging for gold injury and if it wasn't for him out digging for gold Joffa wouldn't have that gold jacket

Fradam Wrote This
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: