Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anybody know the history of our logo?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 4:13 am
Post subject: Anybody know the history of our logo?Reply with quote

The following emails are self explanatory. Can any one help?

-------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Hi Nick,

I'm having a debate concerning the Magpie and constantly run up against claims by Port Adelaide fans that it is "their" Magpie.

I thought Collingwood adopted Black & White for club colours and the the Magpie symbol BEFORE Port Adelaide did. They being in Magenta Jersey, Blue Cap, with Magenta Stockings at the time (1897).

Can you shed some light on this and whether or not Collingwood has copyright on the Magpie and actually loans it out for a fee to clubs like the SANFL Port Adelaide FC?

Thanking you

Arthur Ringer

My reply:
quote:
Gday Arthur

I have a sneaking suspicion that you're both right.

Collingwooed were the Magpies first, but I believe that we adopted the Port Adelaide Magpie as our logo. We had a different magpie before then.

I've looked for references to this, but can't find any and I'm not sure where I heard the story.

I've posted your question on Nick's Bulletin Board. Somebody will know the answer so keep an eye on that.

Regards

Mike Wilson
Magpies Net http://magpies.net/

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 6:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

From "The Magpies - The Official Centenary History of the Collingwood Football Club"

quote:
1892:
One of the first requirements was the club guernsey. It was decided not to use the Britannia colours which were red, white and a scarlet or crimson sash - too close to Footscray's colour pattern.

A club supporter, W.S. Crawley, put forward the black and white Magpie emblem on the South Australian coat of arms. It came into being, although the transition to being called the Magpies took a season or two, the dye was cast.

So I was close but not right. Our emblem did come from South Australia, but not from Port Adelaide who did not adopt the magpie until 1902.

Dgen 

Nick's BB Member #43

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 10:02 am

So in other words, tell Port Adelaide to go and get stuffed, the magpie is OURS!

'caveat pica pica'
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 10:12 am

I've read about this before. Can't remember though.

JDF
Black_White 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 10:49 am

Geezus I'm sick of these S.A. wankers trying to live in the past. It doesn't matter where, when or how these clubs came to be using the Magpie and the B&W stripes.
It's now 2002 and Port have an AFL team, good luck to them. But they are the "power" and always will be. They have black, silver and teal as their colours and always will have.
Game over. We ARE the MAGPIES! We ARE BLACK & WHITE!

Get over it S.A. wankers.

-Craig

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 11:15 am

I believe it has aboriginal origins i will go to my library and try to find the article...

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !.............................http://www.mp3.com/joffa

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 11:32 am

ripping this out of Collingwood at Vic Park......by Roberts and McFarlane, page 9

WS Crawley is widely acknowledged as being responsible for the choice of B & W. Came back from a trip to SA impressed by the colours of the SA intercolonial team..(make note Port Adelaide) ...

We needed new uniform as Britannia colours clashed with Footscray...Crawley suggested the club should use B & W, and adopt the magpie logo...(I have also read somewhere the magpie logo was chosen because of the amount of magpies that nested by the river in collingwood)

Right from the very first match, the team was referrred to in the press as the magpies, and we are the only founding club to have its original colours (jumper design) and logo!

[This message has been edited by London Dave (edited 09 May 2002).]
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 4:48 am

So all that crap by Port when tehy entered the league about wanting to still be the Magpies because "they had it first" is rubbish. Interesting.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: