Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dilemma

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:06 am
Post subject: DilemmaReply with quote

As I posted in the 'what pisses you off?' thread yesterday:
Quote:
Being involved in a car accident yesterday afternoon.

My car is still driveable, but practically a write-off, and the other driver is missing a chunk out of the front-right part of their brand new car, from the accident that was technically caused by me. Guess who doesn't have insurance? Me.

Add to that the fact that I've now been unemployed for 2 months, and applied to go on the dole yesterday morning after spending my last pennies on (how ironic) petrol.

I'm not even sure 'pissed off' really covers it. Try horribly miserable, perhaps.

The accident itself was caused by me turning right at a T-intersection, and being struck by an oncoming car (on my right side) going straight through. It was an unfortunate incident as I really didn't have a lot of visibility, but still, as it was her right of way I seem to have little choice but to accept responsibility for the accident.

I was called by AAMI (the woman's insurance company) yesterday, and told them my version of events. The woman on the phone asked me if, then, I accepted culpability. I said yes, which means that I now have to repay the insurance company for the repairs they do on the other vehicle.

My girlfriend's mum was talking about it last night, and she reckoned that I should have said no - she is of the opinion that the other driver didn't take appropriate evasive action, considering how heavily my car was hit (I'll post photos later).

I asked what path that would lead me down if I was to call up and say I'd changed my mind on my declaration of culpability. She said that it would then go to the courts, and, given my employment status, I should receive free legal aid.

Now, I am really doubtful about all this. Although I have the defense of lack of visibility (the intersection is near the point of both a crest and a sharp turn in the road), I don't see how I could ever prove that the other driver did anything wrong, and however you look at it, I was the one in the position of having to give way to all traffic.

So, as far as I can see, any court case would be a waste of time. The argument my girlfriend and her mother are both using is that it's a no-lose situation for me. If I lose the case, I'm only back where I am anyhow. I'm not completely sure of that - the insurance company, from my limited knowledge, can give me certain privileges for being unemployed, and I am afraid I might lose those should I fail in my case. Also, having to repay a company that hates your guts for dragging them into court probably isn't the best situation I can imagine.

I'm posting this on here because I really have no-one to turn to. My girlfriend's mum has made her position adamant, and my girlfriend seems to think I would be a moron to do anything but follow that advice. My conservative parents, on the other hand, view most legal action as undesirable, and would almost certainly give me no support whatsoever if I went ahead with a court case.

So, what should I do?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

You Really should of said NO Dave because You have to pay for it.

Try and Take it Back and say it's not your fault

Insurance Company are Pricks and try and get out of paying anything Evil or Very Mad

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:09 am

and here is the state of my poor car Sad

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:10 am

I fail to see the relevance of that allusion. Tell me about your likes and dislikes? We have never talked about it before. Do you have any conditions I should know about? How old are you? Are we still talking about jpg[IMG] [IMG]httpi192? What do you do in your spare time?
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:12 am

as for the damage to the other car (a new-model Toyota large family car), the only visible damage was the area around the front-right indicator light and downwards... which was all pretty much smashed in. However, the woman also had trouble opening her door, and there was some water leakage as well.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:17 am

Looks Like it was Her Fault as The Photo's show here driving into your Side.

You have a Good Case for Her to pay for it

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:38 am

Does anyone else agree?
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:58 am

David, there are moment in your life when you have to take it by the scruff and take responsibility for your own actions. I think this may be one of them for you.

At the end of the day, it appears that you had to give way and she had the right of way. Therefore its clearly your fault.

We are a society built on blaming everyone else, dont add to it Mate. If you are unemployed, I would imagine you can come up with some arrangement with the insurance company to pay a small amount each week. Communication is the key with them Mate and see if you can come up with an amicable solution with them.

Going back years ago, I had an accident with some hippies that were on unemployement benefits with no car insurance at all. They paid back $5 dollars per week to my insurance company until the repair bill was paid off.
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:25 am

With you having admitted fault, don't be surprised if the insurance company now declares her car a write-off. Especially as you will now be paying for it.

The lesson here: NEVER admit fault, no matter how minor.

Hooked
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:39 am

Thanks for the comments guys.

I figured it couldn't hurt to actually ring up the insurance company and ask about my options, so I did. As I suspected, there would be little or no grounds for me refusing liability, as the road rules showed I was in the wrong. During the phone call I also managed to get a quote on the damage - $4822.50, to be exact. Not nearly as much as I was afraid it would be.

Of course, I'm going to have to find a job more than ever now, but I think that price is certainly within my range, once I become employed again. Still might take a year or two to pay off, though.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:50 am

Putting it simply if your at a "give way" sign it's your responsibility to give way to oncoming traffic. Trying to use a defense of "poor visability" at that intersection won't make any difference because the obvious come back to that is "you should have been more observant and cautious".
The other problem with legal action is that if you lose you may be liable for the other parties legal costs.
Quick question - did you, or are you, filing a Police accident report. From my understanding insurance companies require proof the matter was reported to Police from the insured party (or at least that would be the situation in WA).

Dale61 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:52 am

Upon closer inspection of the photos, I can now see why you had visibility problems.

Do you always drive with your driver's seat like that?

Hooked
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:01 am

It is probably a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but could I suggest that David and other people in his situation should get extended third party or "bomb" insurance. I assume that this option still exists.

Back in the early seventies when I was a post-grad student and occasional member of the unemployed, I used to drive an old Morris Minor which was a great car but had a market value of 3/8ths of 2/3rds of sweet fanny adams. I took out extended third party insurance in case I backed my valueless car into a Mercedes Benz or equivalent. It didn't cost much and made me feel much safer financially.

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:04 am

OEP, I have filed a police report.

Dale, the seat was knocked back like that in the crash, probably because the lever was damaged. Most of the area around where I was sitting actually got kinda squished in.

Lol, and, no, I don't drive like that. Razz

Dale61 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:14 am

I only asked because a neighbour here drives like that.

First thing I'd do is take your car to a wreckers and get something for it whilst you still can. If, as assumed, the B pillar has been bent, then it's likely the body is now also out of alignment.

Any money you get should be paid to the insurance company to get your repayments started, and as a sign of good faith. Maybe keep a little bit and buy yourself a bicycle as you'll be needing transport to get to work.

Hooked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: