Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great big federal election 2013 thread.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:24 pm
Post subject: The great big federal election 2013 thread.Reply with quote

I thought I might as well make one thread, this is going to be a loooong campaign and I'm sure there will be lots of interesting points and things to argue about.

Jules is not off to a good start. Straight after calling the election Thompson gets arrested, Hubby makes remarks about small Asian women's fingers then two cabinet minsters announce they intend to retire and won't contest the next election.

Quote:
PRIME MINISTER Julia Gillard has reshuffled her front bench following the shock resignations of two of labor’s most senior Cabinet ministers, marking a chaotic start to the government's parliamentary year.
Victoria’s Nicola Roxon resigned this morning from Cabinet as Attorney-General and will not contest her seat in September 14 election but said she will serve out the remainder of her term on the backbench.
The government's leader in the Senate, the Higher Education Minister, Chris Evans, also resigned his post from Cabinet and will step down from the Senate in the coming months when a suitable replacement can be found.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/gillards-new-front-bench-20130202-2dqwt.html#ixzz2JiwBqovP

The reaction suggests she was a little blindsided by this one.

Getting off to a bad start doesn't mean you are screwed, this isn't a 4 week campaign, it's frigging 8 months Shocked so there's plenty of time to settle, plenty of time for someone else in Labor to stuff up, plenty of time for Abbott to do something dumb. The polls are going to be up and down like a bride's nightie over the next 8 months, it'll be who has their nose in front at the end that matters.

partypie 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Julia Gillard won't die wondering.

Naming the election date now may not be the tactical blunder many commentators seem to be hoping it will be.

It effectively means that the Liberals are stuck with the leadership they have, which seems to me weak and negative. It also means Rudd can't make another play for the ALP leadership, and that Julia is keeping her commitment to let the Parliament run its full term.

Regarding the ALP retirements, at least some new ministers will be blooded by September, and new people will get a chance to get elected and perhaps contribute something.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:39 pm

partypie wrote:
Naming the election date now may not be the tactical blunder many commentators seem to be hoping it will be. It effectively means that the Liberals are stuck with the leadership they have

Now that is a good point, a really good point. Why didn't everyone (me included) think of that before? It is probably the whole point of calling the date now, and just possibly a masterstroke.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:41 pm

Roxon was a very strong performer and will be missed. Evans, on the other hand, was Mr Invisible. No loss there. Give the Senate Leader job to Bob Carr.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Surprised but not disappointed to see the back of Roxon. I wonder what the reasoning was?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:09 pm

David wrote:
Surprised but not disappointed to see the back of Roxon. I wonder what the reasoning was?

Ah she has been in politics a long time - before she met her hubby and before she had a family and now she wants to spend some time with her family - that makes perfect sense to me!

People make career vs lifestyle choices all the time - I never understand why politicians should be any different Confused

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:14 pm

^ I reckon they are amazing! No matter which party, no matter whether you love their policies of loathe them, the stress on a politician's home and family life is just plain terrible. We all complain about the dipstick pollies we get, but I'll tell you this much, given the lousy life they have, we are lucky even to get the ones we have.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:14 pm

Julia Gillard called the election now because Abbott is only a few rungs higher than George W when it comes to speaking off the cuff and answering media questions.

Much better to give him 8 months of opportunity to put his foot in the mouth than 1.

P.S-Out of interest I'd like people to answer this question (seriously for once).

One idea will suffice.

To win the election Labor needs to......

Approve gay marriage.

For me most young people only have a limited interest in politics but one issue that they may feel strongly about is gay rights.

Polls also suggest that the majority of Australians of all ages now agree with gay marriage.

So for me to win a larger amount of the youth vote and to set herself apart from Abbott Gillard needs to change her current stance on this issue.

Secondly with most Australians only having a casual interest in politics it's easy to get to the polling booth on election day and not recall all the positive things the current government of the time had achieved during there term in office.

So for me Labor needs to remind Australians of all the positives they have delivered with ad campaigns during the final month leading up to election day.

With the campaign of negativity the Liberal party has successfully conducted over the last 3 years to many Australians have been brain washed into believing our country is a basket case when in reality it has an economy the envy of most of the world.

Critical that Labor gets across the positives.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Julia has a fuzzy brain.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:12 pm

6 pollies from the ALP won't be contesting at the next election & 6 from the opposition a this point in time.

For me the issue that would have knocked Prime Minister Gillard with respect to timing is the Thompson issue & the sleazy way it was dealt with by the NSW cops, their relations with the media & the scumbag of a premier there.

Apparently Evans & Roxon declared their hands last year( to Prime Minster Gillard).

HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:16 pm

How did you hear about HAL?
CP 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:14 pm

Anything less that a wipeout at the polls will be a huge surprise. Both leaders will have good, bad, awkward, embarrassing & triumphant moments from now until then.

And it all means nothing. The ALP's ills are terminal and Australians can't possibly be stupid enough to vote for the most corrupt party in the Western world.

You can spend 8 months discussing how clever and brilliant Jool-ya's tactics are, or you can use the time to reconcile with the likely result.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:24 pm

And Hawthorn are a shoe-in for the flag too!
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:58 pm

Good points Swoop, though I think the gay marriage bit is a little idealistic. The vast majority of the people who support same-sex marriage are already voting or preferencing the ALP over the Liberal Party anyway; I think they've long since worked out that they don't have many votes to win on that one. It'll be the right-wing working class vote from Western Sydney and elsewhere that'll be the real battleground again, so expect lots of talk about border security this time around.

I hope I'm not being too cynical. Sad

HAL 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:02 am

Why specifically do you hope for he or she'm not being cynical?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
Page 1 of 158   

Jump to: