Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Stand on the BLOODY mark!!!!!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:14 am
Post subject: Stand on the BLOODY mark!!!!!!!Reply with quote

Hawthorn do it beautifully! In fact, i'm sure they consistently get away with stepping over it!!

It really is U/10 stuff! Your opponent takes a mark/free kick you go & stand tall right on the bloody mark QUICK smart - Not 1m behind it & slowly keep drifting back to 'cover space'!!!!!..... when is the last time you saw 'space' have an effective possession?!?!?!?!

Covering the mark properly forces your opponent to move backwards so he can kick over you which slows them up! It places some pressure on the kicker & can reduce his options.

So please Collingwood,...... stand on the BLOODY mark!

RANT OFF
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:26 am
Post subject: Re: Stand on the BLOODY mark!!!!!!!Reply with quote

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
Hawthorn do it beautifully! In fact, i'm sure they consistently get away with stepping over it!!

It really is U/10 stuff! Your opponent takes a mark/free kick you go & stand tall right on the bloody mark QUICK smart - Not 1m behind it & slowly keep drifting back to 'cover space'!!!!!..... when is the last time you saw 'space' have an effective possession?!?!?!?!

Covering the mark properly forces your opponent to move backwards so he can kick over you which slows them up! It places some pressure on the kicker & can reduce his options.

So please Collingwood,...... stand on the BLOODY mark!

RANT OFF

yep hawks were picking up about a meter every time ny sprinting to the mark while we kicked over it.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. It's part of the pressing zone game which makes the player with the kick feel even more cornered.

This reminds me of the fact that we have been made to feel pressed by both Brisbane and Adelaide and in fact any side that has played that style of oppressive defensive game when we have first come up against them in the past. We are always vulnerable to that style of game if we underperform, and the same rash of threads follow decrying our lack of skill etc. I too am worried by the nature of the Hawthorn loss, but as I have said elsewhere I want to give it three more weeks to see how we respond because the scenario we now face is not new although it was probably more disappointing this time because we had higher expectations and were beaten by a bigger margin.

If we don't hurt opponents at the stoppages and play the disciplined hunter our game falls apart. It always has under MM, and this time was no exception.

The plan has surely always been to bring in more class and flair, and the trade-off for that transition always threatened to be a loss of discipline (Pendles and Daisy being the bench marks in that area - both can play either disciplined or as if they think they've won two brownlows). The Alan Richardson development academy is surely part of the process of injecting skill and flair into the club.

So in the light of day I would once again say there is an argument for waiting three more games before making a final judgement.

Three more big games coming off the break Magpies. This can be a shite disappointment of a season, or a premiership-team-building experience and a step forward to be proud of.

Sorry, your observation triggered those ideas....
nulla 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:07 am

I would also like to see more desperation shown when play on is blown, put the player with the ball under pressure.. he is waiting for a reason and that is likely that he has no one to kick to, so those behind should also advance.

One question I have on standing on the mark... or actually in going over the mark.. you see a player often pinned for stepping a few metres over the mark and a 50 metre applies...

How come you see at times a player standing the mark request a team mate who is behind the player with the ball to stand the mark while he runs forward to cover another player.
This player then is allowed to come from behind the mark and is already over the mark yet no free applies . Anyone else note this? Is there a ruling on this? Has it something to do with the ump blowing time on?

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:44 am

We do 3 things poorly that an under 10's team would do better than us:

1. Our urgency to get to the mark and then our ability to jump in the air to make the player kick high over us is terrible.

2. Our ability to charge at a bloke once the umpire calls play on is non existant.

3. Our ability to attempt a smother is also non existant.

sq3 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:10 pm

You guys have also missed the defenders being on the goal line.

When Stevens kicked the goal when he was on the ground there was not 1 Pies players between him and the goal and Fev was on the goal line just in case.

Pies sem to have no accountability or desperation.

Check out the Frees against as well - Harry and Goldie have been pinged heaps and some of them result in goals.

Wakes stupid tackle on Roughead - what are they thinking - or more correctly what were they not thinking.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:27 pm

Your guys need to get along to an under 10's game - most of them have to be yelled at to stand the mark, a lot of them don't jump that high and half of them wouldn't smother because they are too scared of the ball. And you also have to have someone actually marking the ball to stand the mark.

A lot of tthe time the ball travels along the ground in a pack with a herd of U10's in tow.

DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:07 pm

Thank God I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I kept telling my friend at the G on Saturday, "Look at the Hawks player. Look how quickly he gets to the mark, and even cribs a little." It's the little things that can make the difference.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:17 pm

I haven't seen the replay but i'm pretty sure it was the first goal of the 2nd Q - Medders set shot at the ponsford end on an angle for his first - the umpire has his arm outstretched indicating where the mark 'should' be while the hawks player from my viewpoint is clearly 1m in front of that spot fully focused on Medders & peaking like a greyhound at the gate!
I couldn't hear him, but the way that ump kept gesturing with his arm at the mark [as they do] before he started moving backwards he was surely telling the hawk to come back?!?!?!?!??!........ No response!

50m????...... pppffftttttt! Only if it's Harry when the game is in the balance in the last quarter,... but that's another story!!!
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Agreed and agreed mate. A lot of clubs don't do it.
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:49 pm

For some reason Collingwood has started this zoning off the ball carrier. If it is the gameplan then it is seriously flawed.
Last year we hassled the ball carrier, chased and tackled the ball carrier. Most times this attributed to the opposition turning the ball over.

When we played Essendon we did not do this and we beat them.

Then the next 2 weeks we reverted to mthe zoning off the ball carrier, and got beaten.

MM the zoning off is not working lets go back to hassling it is what we are good at.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
DT13 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:53 pm

Yes i agree. We always seem prepared to give the opposition 10-20 metres extra just to cover our men. It frustrates me.
slangman 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:31 pm

its good to see that i wasn't the only one thinking the same thing. Those little things are the 1%'s that win you games. Intensity, desperation and concentration are the things that are letting us down at the moment.

Get those back and we will win more than we lose.

Sometimes through all the advanced tactics and opposition team analysis', the little things either get forgotten about or don't get the emphasis they deserve.

I'm also wondering what the benefits of the Sth Africa trip are apart from most of the team getting sick and therefore not being in top physical condition at an important stage of the pre season.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:41 am

I can understand why we don't charge at the player when the ump calls play on. Too easy to be sidestepped. But yeah.... that's not an excuse to dawdle up to him in the first few metres.

And yeah, even if you get sidestepped a couple of times, you'll put them under heaps of pressure every time and make them cough it up a a few times too. Either way, the pressure is still there and overall we come up trumps.

Daid it before on Hotrods... it's no good trying to get that extra 5% at the expense of teh first 95. We could improve on the fundamentals. Here's hoping we do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: