Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rocca's career in strife

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adz 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:22 am
Post subject: Rocca's career in strifeReply with quote

Quote:
THE playing future of Collingwood forward Anthony Rocca is in doubt after he seriously injured an ankle yesterday.
The injury occurred during the third quarter as he kicked the ball, which caused pain where he had had a screw inserted in his ankle in his most recent operation. Rocca snapped his Achilles tendon in 2005.
Rocca's injury compounded the earlier loss of key forward Ben Reid in the first quarter to a broken foot, leaving the Pies with just two on the bench for most of the second half.
The serious injuries prompted Collingwood coach Michael Malthouse to call for an enlarged bench exclusively for players unable to return to the field due to serious injury.
"Both boys who came off aren't too good so we will have to wait and see. I am not going to start making predictions," Malthouse said. "Neither of them are what you would call available next week I would imagine.
"It is not Anthony's Achilles. It is roughly where the screw went into his ankle after the last operation, that is where he is sore. And Ben looks like he may have broken his foot.
"I think it was Terry Wallace that said there is almost a case for the bench being enlarged for just injured players and I guess you have to be able to convince the powers that be that you have got a legitimate injury; the player can't come back on; that you can't have those players there for just an interchange.
"I think there is a lot of substance to that. When members pay their money they want to see a team win lose or draw play with an even playing field.
"It's very difficult to win with 20 players these days because it throws your whole lot out. We lost Ben very early; we lost Anthony in the third quarter so it cut us down.
"I have no doubt today we didn't have the flexibility to hold on or get back in the game to put pressure on them but that is luck of the draw under the rules."
Malthouse said the change could be made at each quarter break and not during play and it would doubtless require the introduction of an AFL official to determine a player's fitness.
"I pushed 20 years ago to have four on the bench … I have been saying now for longer than 10 years we are one of the few team sports that has 18 on the field and has a ratio of only one to six. This is a contact sport, I really can't see why we can't add to our bench and in fact I can't even see why you need a second side — that is your roster you should be able to get through with that roster. You don't want 22 on the bench but we should be able to do more than hope you get through because it is only in hope."
When Rocca went off the ground Collingwood led by 23 points, but the Dogs piled on five of the next six goals to take a lead into the final break.
Collingwood led by 10 points at half-time but should have been further ahead after missing numerous shots at goal. Rhyce Shaw and Tarkyn Lockyer each missing three fairly regulation shots each before half-time.
Malthouse admitted inaccuracy hurt his team but was dismissive of the issue saying players did not intend to miss shots at goal.
Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade admitted remaining in the top four was his side's priority now that a place in the eight was assured.
He said he was frustrated with a poor skill level yesterday but praised the work and fight of the leaders in the team, Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross, in rallying the Bulldogs and leading the team out of trouble.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/injury-could-be-the-end-for-magpie-rocca/2008/06/22/1214073056130.html
tommo 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like its being played up to sell the papers tomorrow!

Let's hope for the big man it isn't so, and that he can get back out onto the park later in the year. Would be a great shame to see him off in this fashion.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:52 am

sq3 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:06 am

I think the curtain is closing on the AFL career and he can then go over to see Sav in Philly and start on the NFL dream.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:08 am

Big finals player is our Rock.

Save him for the huge games.

cfc2009-10-11-12 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:12 am

We need to start finding a replacement is this years draft, im not saying this is his last year but with the injury concerns hanging over Rusling's head we need another strong contested marking forward to develop for us, desperately
jimbeam 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:13 am

I just hope is doesnt effect his NFL ambitions.

Ant has done enough for the black and white. A true champion of our club.
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:21 am

Sad to see a great servant end his career on this note and gl to big Ant in all his endeavors.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:34 am

Good luck in your recovery Big Fella, much maglined, but one of the best
has been our back bone more often than not. Really had a crack yesterday, even when playing on half a tank of lawnmower fuel.

www.facebook/the hybernators
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:09 am

Really hurts....I'll wait to hear the full extent of the injury...but a permanent fix will have to be found now because we have to start learning to play without Rocca.

Either Fraser coming back in and rotating the forward line with a ruckman...or start fast-tracking Dawes who may find relief playing in the senior team with some better delivery and better players around him.

I think both Reid and Wellingham have found it easier at seniors

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:13 am

DaVe86 wrote:

I think both Reid and Wellingham have found it easier at seniors

I agree Reid and Wellingham has found it easier in the AFL, Then Trying hard in the Bottom of the Ladder VFL Side

ktszyu1 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:42 am

Hope both get back ASAP.

As for the extended bench for injuries, how would that work? That would mean players like Stanley would be sitting on the bench every week, just in case of injury, and therefore wouldn't be getting any games in the seconds either.

quinny 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:54 am

all the best anth! we love ya mate!

also as said above, hope he does get the chance to go and have a huge payday in the NFL, he deserves it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: