Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

some people need to get a life!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimetoFly 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:05 pm
Post subject: some people need to get a life!Reply with quote

I am sick & tired of people making fun of other posters' spelling errors...

I am sure you are all english teachers, but the amount of crap that DTM gets and others is ridiculous..

I wrote a thread "The GAPPING hole at our Club"...

Instead of discussing the thread you had a go at the typo error...

Grow up & get a life!!!!

kickit2me Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You should've spelt it GAYPING...just like the spelling of my ladyboy neighbours' name!

Okay...gotta go......back to the chalkboard!

pattaya-queen.jpg

Collingwould Libra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:35 pm

so you start a dedicated thread yourself on whingeing about other people having a go at you.......the irony Smile

you have a point FWIW, but sometimes the spelling/grammar is actually that bad that it's difficult to deduce what the poster is saying.

Some of DTM's posts (love him) are in that category, not sure if it's laziness or typing in a frenzy, just need to re-read what they've posted to see how it sounds

right or wrong: my 2 cents

tahnks - lol
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Interesting deduction. Didn't I say I started already?
nulla 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:47 pm

Most spelling and typo errors go unnoticed and we all make them...

Its when its a headline or a number of words in a row then that to me shows an ignorance of the English language, besides there is an option called "edit" that we can use as an afterthought

Apart from my 2 cents worth I am not sure where this thread will go, maybe you are better off having your post as your signature.

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:57 pm

i agree mate i find it pathetic as well. when we're all here for an exchange of ideas - not an exchange of writing styles it really pisses me off the people who spend their time simply pointing out and making fun of mistakes

secondly we all come from different backgrounds. some people should be commended for learning the language or writing through a disability etc etc...

it just doesnt make sense to sit there and hang shit on a stranger because of a simple spelling mistake on an online forum... as long as its understandable, address the idea or get the **** out.

its always been a pet peeve of mine
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:09 pm

Plenty of browser add-ons that will spellcheck your posts. Is it laziness that prevents people from using these programs?
It appears most mistakes are made by posters trying to be the first to post latest news.
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:13 pm

not everyone is as technologically inclined as that. secondly, in my case i usually am multi tasking at work while typing on this site... i dont have the time to spend proof reading and such and i usually have several things on my mind. so i can understand making mistakes such as gapping instead of gaping (and a spell checker wont pick that up) why would it bother you, if i typed in capitals or made a few spelling mistakes?? its sad that it does...
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:37 pm

If you want people to understand what it is you are saying, you need to spell correctly.

How are we supposed to know what you mean.

You are blaming others for a self inflicted weakness

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:43 pm

I find that posts which aren't mainly crap generally don't get noticed for their spelling errors.

Don't give people an excuse Wink

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:48 pm

would you say the same thing to someone who had dyslexia? would you tell them to go fix their spelling before joining us on discussions...

geez you guys are precious. writing on the net without the typos is so overrated... who bloody cares.

to use time to fly's example, you're telling me when he wrote "our gapping hole" you didnt understand what he meant? then that says more about you to be honest than a simple slip...

it smacks of arrogance... someone summed the poiints up beautifully before:

1. spell checker isnt perfect.

2. spelling has nothing to do with intelligence WHATSOEVER and shouldnt take merit away from the idea as long as it is understandable

3. most of us dont have unlimited time to re-read our posts. if a mistake slips through big whooop.

4. Also, perfectionism is a disease Very Happy
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:48 pm

member34259 wrote:
Plenty of browser add-ons that will spellcheck your posts. Is it laziness that prevents people from using these programs?
It appears most mistakes are made by posters trying to be the first to post latest news.

Perhaps they know, intuitively or otherwise, that communication and language do not constitute the same phenomenon, and therefore choose not to waste their time if their communicative act is sufficient. For example, I will waste some of my time here even though I know exactly what you mean:

You wrote:

"...trying to be the first to post latest news."

You should have written:

"...trying to be the first to post the latest news."

Because:

The English superlative, marked in this instance by the ~est morpheme, semantically connotes exclusivity and therefore attracts the definite article by default.

It is for reasons like this that many people don't bother with inconsequential errors. And let's not forget it is far easier to comprehend erroneous language than it is to produce error-free language as the latter involves an awkward mechanical interface that is far less efficient than the cognitive computations associated with reading comprehension. So rather than being lazy, they are actually being efficient.

That is the type of rubbish we have to get into if we are serious about policing language, so yes, I agree with the OP.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:29 pm

so we have this discussion yet again. nearly everyone knows or understands dtm [and his situation], even optimax's dyslexia.

the odd typo and improper use of a word is forgiven but not being able to type/spell 'gaping' is basic. 'gapping' doesn't even come close to sounding like the intended word.

imperfection can be tolerated but laziness can not.

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:25 pm

jmcp it is not about laziness. surely you understand that when you are writing on this forum you may have several ideas in your head at once, i know i do because i access nicks from work so in between reports, research etc im jotting down ideas and thoughts about my beloved collingwood. and mistakes such as gapping instead of gaping, or sight instead of site can be made easily.

the other thing is that i keep trying to bang home... maybe the person genuinely is not a good speller. maybe his english language skills arent up to the standard of most other people on this forum. So what?? does this give us the right to pick out their flaws and mock them??! since when have we descended to mocking people for tryin to speak our language? why cant we be more tolerant??

it just smacks of ignorance and arrogance to mock a complete stranger over his/her english.

on these forums when there is something i dont like i tend to ignore it and move on but this but people who sit on their high horse and mock others just get on my nerves THAT MuCH.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:39 pm

Ok. Having rechecked the original thread and seeing that I am one of only 2 people that could be accused of having a go at you, I'll just clarify that I wasn't.

Gap. Hole. It was a pun. I like puns and generally can't let them pass. No offense intended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: