Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Leon's Year - 1st Half vs 2nd Half

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:14 pm
Post subject: Leon's Year - 1st Half vs 2nd HalfReply with quote

This is not a knee jerk reaction to his performance today. I am a Leon fan and I love watching him play. But comparing the Leon of the first half of the season to the Leon in the second half of the season seems to be two completely different Leon's.

In the first half he was a midfield general. He was picking up 30+ possessions every week, getting the hard ball even chipping in with a goal or two and setting up many forward thrusts. He was simply put AWESOME!

In the second half he has been more of an impact player, picking up 20 odd touches, still chipping in with a couple of goals but not as damaging in the midfield, skirting packs more than getting into the middle of them, perhaps not playing in there as much as he was and not looking as focussed on setting up the play but more inclined to try and get on the end of it.

Am I seeing something that isn't there? I remember at the half way mark of the year he was getting alot of press coverage about how great he had been this year and his new found tank making him one of the best mids going around. Since then he seems to have become a different Leon.

Has all the cudos gone to his head or is MM just playing him differently??

MONCO: Your life.
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed mate, i said as much in another thread. i've felt his second half has been well below his standards.

i think there is an interesting stat that was brought up by somebody a while ago. Leon's stats per game when Didak is in the same team are well below his stats when he plays in a team without Didak. i.e. Leon plays much better without Didak in the same team.

I think its because with Didak as a permanent midfield Leon plays mostly up forward, as an opportunistic small forward. With Didak out, Leon takes his role as a more permanent midfielder.

Last edited by Kingswood on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:18 pm

Being played differently, and in such a way that relies on others to get the ball in his hands and give him space. What he needs to do now, however, is adapt to the two styles of game so he can still have an impact if the game doesn't break open.

Still learning is our Leon. He'll bounce back.
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Would hate to think he is still learning , the guy is 28 lol
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:22 pm

Ideally we need to be playing Leon and Dids in the midfield simultaneously. We have Medders, Trav, Jack, Dale etc up in the forward half. If Leon is at his best as a midfielder then at the very least I'd like to see him get back in their and stick Dids on the half forward line.

MONCO: Your life.
Usurper 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Agreed, surprised we aren't playing them both through, Leon plays well as a defensive mid, and dids forward. Certainly should be getting rotated heavily. I dont care how many miracle goals Leon is missing out on, if he's busy setting up ten times as many others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: