Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Excessive Speeding Drivers

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:06 pm
Post subject: Excessive Speeding DriversReply with quote

The debate is in full swing of what to do about drivers who speed excessively. Every driver speeds, whether it is knowingly or unknowingly and no doubt we will have someone say they have not had a speeding ticket in x amount of years etc that does not mean you have to broken the speed limit.

A decade ago Probationary licence holders had no demerit points, you got caught speeding you were disqualified and fined and had to go through the process again to obtain your licence To offer up points is simply looking at the revenue stream as you want the drivers on the road.

We have an enforcement agency that is invisible (speed cameras) so the cost to the Government is minimal because it’s outsourced which is most of the problem. A driver can go past a speed camera at 160kmh an hour; you won’t get the fine until a few weeks later in the mail. In the mean time that driver could have killed a family.

A visible Police presence is far more affective in my view and in the past four weeks I have driven around 4000kms, in that time I have seen around six police cars marked and unmarked compared to at least
What do we do? Crush cars? Jail the offenders? It’s an election year so we will hear a lot of spin no doubt. What do you suggest.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The ACT system focuses on speed camera visibility and warning signs. It might seem a little counter-intuitive, but people do at least slow down around them (the fixed as well as mobile speed cameras). The Victorian system seems far more suspiciously like revenue raising. It'd be interesting to see relative comparisons between the ACT and Victoria and see what effect the different systems have on speeding and fatalities.
BlackAndWhiteSince87 Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:48 pm

I often wonder how much of the behaviour by young drivers on the road is learned from their parents.

Most people I know were for the most part taught by their parents and then had a handful of professional lessons,mainly so they could go to Vic Roads in a fully above board car for their practical test.

I know I picked up alot of bad habits from my Dad when he was teaching me to drive,that the driving instructor I went with picked up on and soon knocked out of me.

Luckly,speeding wasnt one of them,but with the way I see some people zoom up Warrigal Rd and Nepean Highway,it sure makes me wonder where they got their licences from.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:26 pm

stop making exotic cars. Twisted Evil
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:00 pm

Some Ideas.

1. P. Platers to drive no bigger than 4 cyl/2.0l engines (no turbos or mods).
2. 0% BAC until 25 years old.
3. Anyone caught driving over 50 kmh above the speed limit, car crushed, no excuses or exeptions. If its your mums/nans/mates car then stiff, explain it too them...it may make people a little more careful who they give the keys too.
4. If caught speeding 30-50 kmh, lose of license, 2 time jail car crushed, too many let offs.
5. All drivers to be tested (written/computerised test on updated laws, rules etc.) 10 years upon license renewal.
6. Hoons to have car crushed on 2nd offence, what good does removing the car from them for 48 hours do?

With scrap metal prices so high, we cant lose!
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:34 pm

The reason these horrific accidents happen is because these kids don't obey the laws, have no thought of the consequences and think it will never happen to them.

The boy driving the car was a P plater, only supposed to carry ONE passenger and apparently may have been drinking.
I also heard the car may not have been registered.

The size of the engine doesn't make a lot of difference either.
My partner's 15yo daughter was killed along with 2 others a few years ago in a Hyundai Excel driven by a 15yo - apparently it doesn't matter whether or not you have a licence.

I don't think there is anything that will act as a deterrent when another boy picked up for speeding a few days after the accident on the weekend even knew the deceased and still drove way over the speed limit.

As for crushing the cars - they are doing a good job of that by themselves.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Speed isn't the killer, indiscriminate speed is.

I've found that slow drivers tend to cause accidents because they frustrate everyone behind them into doing something stupid.

In Germany on the autobahns you get fined for going too slow.

No, it's sad when kids get themselves killed by sheer stupidity, but the principle with cars is the same as with guns. The tool itself doesn't kill, only the tool controlling it.

Final point: Make it just as hard to get a driver's license as to fly a light plane. After all driving on the roads is massively more dangerous than flying a Cessna or Piper out of Moorabbin.

Of course, the car makers would scream blue murder, because the number of drivers on the road would halve in no time at all (and that has to be a good thing).
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:22 pm

Raise the legal age to obtain a license back to 21 (at least). Human development theory tells us 21 year olds are more likely to be intuitive of risk than 18 year olds.
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:25 pm

jack_spain wrote:
Speed isn't the killer, indiscriminate speed is.

I've found that slow drivers tend to cause accidents because they frustrate everyone behind them into doing something stupid.

In Germany on the autobahns you get fined for going too slow.

No, it's sad when kids get themselves killed by sheer stupidity, but the principle with cars is the same as with guns. The tool itself doesn't kill, only the tool controlling it.

Final point: Make it just as hard to get a driver's license as to fly a light plane. After all driving on the roads is massively more dangerous than flying a Cessna or Piper out of Moorabbin.

Of course, the car makers would scream blue murder, because the number of drivers on the road would halve in no time at all (and that has to be a good thing).

Funny I've always imagined you wearing your bowling hat putting along in your Morris Major on your way to the Flat Earth Society meeting and piss up! Razz

Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:36 pm

21 for license.
Defensive driving skills to be part of the test.
Drinking age raised to 25.
Problem solved.
Next!
Dark Lord Capricorn

He's back...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:42 am

How about better parenting?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:46 am

Dark Lord wrote:
How about better parenting?
Have to agree there. The guy on the weekend was .019 as well. You can't stop morons like this. Best teach your kids not to get in a car with a moron behind the wheel.

With a population of near 4 million in Victoria. 320 dead in one year is not a bad statistic. The trouble with Statistics, they are someone's son, daughter, brother sister etc.

On defensive driving, people do the courses and come out feeling they can drive at speed as they are better from doing the course.
JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:20 pm

How about learning how to drive? If it wasn't so easy to get a licence, we wouldn't have so many people on the road who have no idea. We wouldn't have to drive so slow if more people knew what to do if their car was out of control. For example, some instructors offer to give free lessons if the learner doesn't get their licence on their first attempt. In other words, they teach what the learner will NEED to know to pass the test and that is all. Unfortunately, most instructors couldn't drive a greasy stick up a pig's bum so how do we expect their students to learn?

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:25 pm

JacJacJacqui wrote:
How about learning how to drive? If it wasn't so easy to get a licence, we wouldn't have so many people on the road who have no idea. We wouldn't have to drive so slow if more people knew what to do if their car was out of control. For example, some instructors offer to give free lessons if the learner doesn't get their licence on their first attempt. In other words, they teach what the learner will NEED to know to pass the test and that is all. Unfortunately, most instructors couldn't drive a greasy stick up a pig's bum so how do we expect their students to learn?
They teach you to pass a test not to actually drive.
JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:26 pm

Yeah exactly.. It's really bad!!

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: