Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bible references on US combat rifles.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 am
Post subject: Bible references on US combat rifles.Reply with quote

So it's come to this has it? The "clash of civilisations" is clearly seen by the fundamentalist fruitcakes on both sides as a religious war.

US troops use combat rifles bearing Bible verses

Quote:
Combat rifle sights used by US forces in Iraq and Afghanistan carry references to Bible verses, stoking concerns about whether the inscriptions break a government rule that bars proselytising by American troops.

Military officials said the citations do not violate the ban and they will not stop using the telescoping sights, which allow troops to pinpoint the enemy day or night.

The contractor that makes the equipment, Trijicon, said the US military has been a customer since 1995 and the company has never received any complaints about the Scripture citations.

"We don't publicise this," Tom Munson, Trijicon's director of sales and marketing, said in an interview. "It's not something we make a big deal out of. But when asked, we say, 'Yes, it's there."'

The inscriptions are subtle and appear in raised lettering at the end of the stock number. Markings on the Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight, which is standard issue to US special operations forces, include "JN8:12," a reference to John 8:12: "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."'

http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-troops-use-combat-rifles-bearing-bible-verses-20100120-mji0.html

I'm sickened to the stomach by this. Jesus specifically eschewed the use of weapons. When he was arrested in the Graden of Gethsemane, his disciple Peter grabbed a sword from one of the soldiers and started weilding it. Quick as a flash Jesus told Peter to put it down: "If you live by the sword, you die by it Peter," he said.

These people appropriate the Bible, but they are no followers of Jesus. Evil or Very Mad

"Blessed are the peacemakers."
Dark Lord Capricorn

He's back...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Blessed are the Colt Peacemakers.

tcnthat Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:09 am

Yeah not a good look.

Weapons and religious imagery is pretty synonymous though. I should think this would be the latest in a long history of such links.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:45 am

Dark Lord wrote:
Blessed are the Colt Peacemakers.

No! no! no!, its Blessed are the cheese makers.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Obviously it's not meant to be taken literally, it refers to all manufacturers of dairy products.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:07 am

David wrote:
Obviously it's not meant to be taken literally, it refers to all manufacturers of dairy products.

But certainly not munitions manufacturers!
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:30 am

Maybe they could stamp the following passages on the munitions:

Exodus 20:13 or,
Deuteronomy 5:17.

Though I think due to space limitations they would probably stick the the Exodus version.

Dark Lord Capricorn

He's back...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:39 am

Jesus wept.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:16 am

Good find. These nutters undermine progress on all fronts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: