Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Writer's block

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:23 pm
Post subject: Writer's blockReply with quote

I have a bad case of it.

I really hoped that in the next couple of months before uni I would take advantage of the spare time to get a couple of articles published and write as much as I could, but I haven't written a thing. It might stem from a lack of self-confidence - on a somewhat related note, my slightly reworked paedophilia article got turned down by the National Times for being too controversial, and I've been feeling pretty miserable about it (where else would I even get that published? I tried The Drum, but they haven't gotten back to me).

Does anyone have any tips on how to cure writer's block? Where do you start?

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

well now, and this is serious and by no means trivialising your situation, i find that before hitting the piano or the computer to write some music, a quick tug does wonders to get the creativity flowing. dont know why it works but it does. perhaps it will also help your writing
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:51 pm

How would David giving you a quick tug help his writer's block ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Donny wrote:
How would David giving you a quick tug help his writer's block ?

Well it would give NPM something to write about, hell he may even take pictures and "have them stolen"... Shocked
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:46 am
Post subject: Re: Writer's blockReply with quote

David wrote:
I have a bad case of it.

I really hoped that in the next couple of months before uni I would take advantage of the spare time to get a couple of articles published and write as much as I could, but I haven't written a thing. It might stem from a lack of self-confidence - on a somewhat related note, my slightly reworked paedophilia article got turned down by the National Times for being too controversial, and I've been feeling pretty miserable about it (where else would I even get that published? I tried The Drum, but they haven't gotten back to me).

I wouldn't put too much weight on your article getting turned down; if it's an extremely controversial piece, that's expected. I would probably pull such articles out only occasionally as an aside to a more mainstream body of work, but you can't live off that stuff or put too much weight on it. I would only care about the reception of my mainstream work.

I don't really enjoy writing at all and I only use it as a medium of exploration; once I've worked through an idea I've totally lost the motivation to write it up into a formal piece. So I'm probably the last person to give advice on writing. But could it be that you need more of a commercial connection? That is, like myself, you might find it more rewarding to tie a portion of your work explicitly to a commercial end. For instance, I have a tricky corporate communications seminar every Monday night now, and I start feeling mild anxiety over it on the Thursday before. Nothing quite motivates me to put pen to paper like that looming deadline.

If I had the chance to be in your position again as a second year uni student, I would develop a commercially-viable skill (such as computer programming or accounting or whatever) which I could use to support my commercially unviable interests such as the social sciences. I am definitely projecting my personal experience on you here, but I fear you getting trapped outside the mainstream economy as happened to me.

Anyhow, just a thought. But remember the mainstream is never going to change, so you have to find common interests with it at some point unless you want to become a full-time Bohemian with all that it entails.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:49 am

Is this what you call a "word problem". Do you mind if I tell other people you are projecting his or her personal experience on you here. We have nothing to fear, but fear itself. --FDR
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:47 am

David, do they give advice in your tutorials on who to approach when trying to get freelance articles published? Lecturers like Phil Chubb and Bill Birnbauer have years of journalistic experience and a boatload of contacts and maybe you should have a yarn with them.

Good luck with your writing.

EBB 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:26 am
Post subject: Re: Writer's blockReply with quote

David wrote:
I have a bad case of it.

Take a break, do something spontaneous, adventure, walk in the rain...

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:30 am

I am in Viccy Park. Where are you?
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Drugs.
The cure to all blockages.
Do it now.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:05 pm

LOL at some of the suggestions, jerk off, go for a walk, take drugs......why the hell not?

For mine, I'll go more conservative and say.........Stop Trying.

If you sit down at the computer and try to write something, you can get blocked. It's like trying to remember a name, the harder you try to remember, the more frustrated you get. Then at 2am you wake up when your conscious brain has stopped trying, your sub conscious yells out the answer.

So, pick the topic you want to write about, and go for a walk, lay on a beach, jerk off, take drugs or do whatever, just switch your brain off the topic. Relax and let your imagination go free.

Once you're relaxed, you can start day dreaming about the topic you have in mind and the article you want to write will write itself in your brain.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Well, I don't know how I did it, but on a whim I started writing an article on same-sex marriage yesterday, and sent it in to the National Times 10 minutes ago. Here's hoping they haven't blacklisted me after the last one*. Razz

(*actually, I'm still quite disappointed by that. I read it again today, and it's a solid, reasoned, non-sensationalist article. It's only as controversial as the topic of paedophilia itself is controversial)

Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:30 pm

You're a natural born stirrer David.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:33 am

David wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Well, I don't know how I did it, but on a whim I started writing an article on same-sex marriage yesterday, and sent it in to the National Times 10 minutes ago. Here's hoping they haven't blacklisted me after the last one*. :P

(*actually, I'm still quite disappointed by that. I read it again today, and it's a solid, reasoned, non-sensationalist article. It's only as controversial as the topic of paedophilia itself is controversial)

A lecturer & tutor many years ago told me to write, simply write.

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:56 pm

David, I am actually in a very similar boat to you at the moment for a variety of reasons, so you have my sympathy.

But contra Stui's advice above: I've always found motivation follows action, not the other way around. "Write, simply write" sounds pretty good to me - i.e. you force the blockage out by writing, even if you're writing crap!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: