Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

OK, let's think about some positives

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:40 pm
Post subject: OK, let's think about some positivesReply with quote

I agree Mick had a lousy night coaching, I agree selection was wrong, and I agree there was plenty to dislike about last nights game.

But ultimately, for all we did wrong, we still should've won the game.

More scoring shots, plus we had them on toast in the 3rd quarter. We had more inside 50's as well. If we had kicked those goals, we'd all be forgetting about all the other problems. A loss emphasises the negatives.

What was good???

- Presti is still the best - Totally shut down Riewoldt whilst he was on. In fact, the defence as a whole was fantastic. TO hole the best side in the comp to 10 goals is a job well done. Harry and Max were good as well.

- Luke Ball finds form - Kicking a bit better, 11 contested possessions. 10 kicks and 18 handballs is a good ratio for him as well. SHowed a bit of heart. Had an impact in the clearances which was vitally important.

- Dale Thomas is in good form - Not a massive night for Dale, but he had a say. He is coming on nicely this year.

- Travis Cloke took some contested marks - His still not there, but ultimately had 17 possessions and 9 marks. SO it was a par game for Clokey. Ultimately, he should not be our sole tall forward. If you put another tall up there, then he can have freedom to roam where he is at his best. Jack has offered nothing, so we have to find someone to go forward and compete. Leigh Brown and Fraser did not.

- Wellingham continues his good start - Not his best game either, but 26 disposals was a good return. His good in close.

- Dawes, Buckley, Reid and Nathan Brown played ok in the VFL - I think Dawes should come in. He has some form. Was not sensational today, but was competitive. Against Hawthorn, he'll get a lousy opponent. Buckley should offer pace. He was very good today in the 2nd half. Kicking is good, decision making still patchy but improving. I still hold out hope for Reid and Brown, although I think both may still be forwards.

Next week, my changes:

In: Buckley, Dawes, Shaw
Out: Lockyer, Fraser, McCarthy

Potential drop 1 of Beams or Sidebottom as well. We need more footspeed against the Hawks. Potentiall bring in Reid or Brown as backup for the big Hawk talls.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:50 pm
Post subject: Re: OK, let's think about some positivesReply with quote

DaVe86 wrote:
I agree Mick had a lousy night coaching, I agree selection was wrong, and I agree there was plenty to dislike about last nights game.

you're predicating this thread on the assertion malthouse had a lousy night. it's pandering to the lunatic fringe in a bid to temper them.

instead, you should have introduced the thread as ... "i agree the players had a lousy night infront of goals ..."

kick straight and we'd be having a very different discussion about how our team managed to beat [and well] a flag fancy.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:55 pm

DaVe86 wrote:
I agree Mick had a lousy night coaching.

Why? We had the Saints on toast and couldn't kick straight at goal.

I'd argue that the players let the coach down. We should have won the game and that we didn't is the fault of the players, not the coach.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:59 pm

DaVe86 wrote:

But ultimately, for all we did wrong, we still should've won the game.

More scoring shots, plus we had them on toast in the 3rd quarter. We had more inside 50's as well. If we had kicked those goals, we'd all be forgetting about all the other problems. A loss emphasises the negatives.

What was good???

- Presti is still the best - Totally shut down Riewoldt whilst he was on. In fact, the defence as a whole was fantastic. TO hole the best side in the comp to 10 goals is a job well done. Harry and Max were good as well.

- Luke Ball finds form - Kicking a bit better, 11 contested possessions. 10 kicks and 18 handballs is a good ratio for him as well. SHowed a bit of heart. Had an impact in the clearances which was vitally important.

- Dale Thomas is in good form - Not a massive night for Dale, but he had a say. He is coming on nicely this year.

- Travis Cloke took some contested marks - His still not there, but ultimately had 17 possessions and 9 marks. SO it was a par game for Clokey. Ultimately, he should not be our sole tall forward. If you put another tall up there, then he can have freedom to roam where he is at his best. Jack has offered nothing, so we have to find someone to go forward and compete. Leigh Brown and Fraser did not.

- Wellingham continues his good start - Not his best game either, but 26 disposals was a good return. His good in close.

- Dawes, Buckley, Reid and Nathan Brown played ok in the VFL - I think Dawes should come in. He has some form. Was not sensational today, but was competitive. Against Hawthorn, he'll get a lousy opponent. Buckley should offer pace. He was very good today in the 2nd half. Kicking is good, decision making still patchy but improving. I still hold out hope for Reid and Brown, although I think both may still be forwards.

Next week, my changes:

In: Buckley, Dawes, Shaw
Out: Lockyer, Fraser, McCarthy

Potential drop 1 of Beams or Sidebottom as well. We need more footspeed against the Hawks. Potentiall bring in Reid or Brown as backup for the big Hawk talls.

i thought you were stealing my moniker!!

but i agree with what you say...except DONT DROP THE MAN OF STEELE!!

he has been in the best the last 2 weeks (and lets fave it, we need that!!)

AN_Inkling 

Post subject: Reply with quote

DaVe86 wrote:

Disagree that coaching was lousy or selection was wrong. You just don't get on top of the Saints for 3 quarters with poor coaching. And given our tactics worked, we picked the right team to implement it. There's no doubt Dawes would have been a liability in this particular game, the way it was played. The thing that was lacking was a bit of polish at crucial moments, not a tall forward.

Dawes is a much better option against the Hawks than Saints, but it will be a line ball decision between he and Anthony, if we go for another tall forward.

Agree on Buckley, must play. And on today's form, he clearly should have played against the Saints. He's the closest thing we have to a Heath Shaw simulacra - quick, strong, tall and can kick the bloody thing: even better than I thought he could, a lovely long kick, and in today's game very accurate too.

Don't think Lockyer should be dropped. But definitely should play forward. One reason why Bucks should have played last night. Lockyer is not a defender.

One of Fraser or L.Brown will have to come out if Dawes or Anthony come in. It's a toss up, could go either way. I like your idea of using L.Brown to beat up on Renouf, as he has to go all day on his own. But I prefer Fraser as a player, so not sure.

I agree with dropping one of Sidebottom or Beams - but on last week's performance, Beams is the clear out. Was possibly our worst player. Played outside and got little of it. No way Steele deserves to be dropped, something special about him, despite some limitations.

One of N.Brown or Reid has to come in. If you're not going to play them in this kind of game, then we're kidding ourselves. They, N.Brown particularly, will be first team players next year. They need to be given jobs during the season. I'd go with N.Brown, but it's a close call.

For me, it's like this:

In: H.Shaw, Buckley, N.Brown, Dawes
Out: Beams, McCarthy, Toovey, L.Brown

Last edited by AN_Inkling on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiss Taurus

Yep start the sackings and that might motivate a few of these MIA types who we are to reliant on.
roar 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:17 pm

DaVe86 wrote:
Potential drop 1 of Beams or Sidebottom as well.

No way!

Sidey has been in our best over the last two weeks, and Beams should never be dropped, again.

And I would give Macarthy another week to make amends (worked for Sidebottom!).

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Beams should never be dropped? Why not?
How did he play last night, in your eyes? I thought he was our worst, or certainly in our worst three. Only had 10 disposals, did little defensively, and didn't win the hard ball.

roar 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:26 pm

^ I did think he was poor last night but certainly not in our worst 3. And although I was being a little facetious, I really cannot see Beams being dropped simply because he is one of our better players.
Benno Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:40 pm

stui magpie wrote:
DaVe86 wrote:
I agree Mick had a lousy night coaching.

Why? We had the Saints on toast and couldn't kick straight at goal.

I'd argue that the players let the coach down. We should have won the game and that we didn't is the fault of the players, not the coach.

I agree with everything said here.

Mick didn't have a lousy night. The players did.
sq3 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:43 pm

The only real positive is that MM has a fixed tenure contract and will be gone soon.

Nathan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:54 pm

lack of polish? because we had no marking forward we were pushed wide into low% shots, hence our abysmal conversion.

but we were smashed in the middle after half time. wasn't just about the kicking for goal.

i agreewith Dave except macaffer doesnt warrant another week either and i thought fraser was one of the better players on thenight. one of the few winning in the air.

lockyer had a dirty nihgt but i reeckon tooves, macaffer and mccarthy out.

possibly, if wanting t send a msg, drop swan. will send a shudder down the club, and give him thye kick in the ass he needs

Gen George S Patton.
US 3rd Army.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Not sure if anyone else has raised it but am I the only one who thinks last nights match was just about as unappealing as football gets?

Yeah it was tough, tight and tense but boy was it butt ugly to watch.

Can't stand watching a game when all the 36 players on the field end up regularly in the one half of the field.

It just isn't football at it's finest for me.

The first positive for the night was we were able to match St.kilda for the first half whilst Riewoldt was still on the ground.

That's an improvement on last season.

The other positive was the ongoing good form of Wellingham and Thomas, the outstanding form of O'Brien, the return to form of Ball and the encouraging yet flawed(goal kicking) form of Cloke.

The first negative was the thinking that L.Brown or Fraser will ever be capable of making an impact as forwards on anything near a consistent level. Don't send part timers in do to a genuine forwards work.

The other negative not surprisingly was the inaccurate goal kicking during the third that probably cost us the game.

However by far the biggest negative was that despite the poor goal kicking we faded so badly in the last despite the saints being without there best player in the second half, there best defender having to sit out 20 minutes and there best midfielder suffering a big knock to the head.

Really poor kicking or not under those circumstances we should have won regardless.

We had a golden opportunity and we buggered it up.

Disappointing but encouraging with a lot of room for improvement is how I'd sum up our performance.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Reckon it was Ball's Best Game this year
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:21 pm

on Beams and Sidebottom.

I don't think we can in against the Hawks with Ball, O'Bree, Sidebottom, Beams, Pendlebury, McCarthy and Lockyer.

Just not enough footspeed there.

The Doggies usually beat the Hawks through footspeed. That's why I'd like to see Buckley in there.

Round 1 it proved a good decision to play Wellingham over Beams. He only had 10 disposals last night, and Sidebottom missed 2 crucial goals.

Agree both have been good...but I still think O'Bree is important to us and Ball had a good game.

I'd say out: Lockyer

In: Beams for Buckley and SHaw.

More run off half back that way

Then Dawes in for Fraser. Use Leigh Brown backup ruck, Hawks only have 1 ruck anyway.

Geelong proved big talls are Geelong's weakness. Dawes may not be better than Josh, but atleast he is a permanent forward. Josh is only a part-timer and is out of form.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: