Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Players fighting for their spots

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:00 pm
Post subject: Players fighting for their spotsReply with quote

With Mayne most likely to be replaced by Elliott this week, it got me thinking about who else may be on limited time, once we have Wells, De Goey and Wills available.

The 'fringe' players most at risk are probably:

Smith
Phillips
Ramsay
Crisp
Greenwood

I only mentioned Greenwood, because I think Rupert Wills can play his role, even better. With more midfielders in the side, we can move Varcoe back to defence, squeezing Smith or Ramsay out.

Then there's Daicos, Brown, Kirby and Crocker likely to be pushing for selection at some stage. This just shows what a healthy list we have atm, compared to the last 2-3 years, where we were struggling to find players available.
Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to add Broomhead to that list also.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:09 pm
Post subject: Re: Players fighting for their spotsReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
With Mayne most likely to be replaced by Elliott this week, it got me thinking about who else may be on limited time, once we have Wells, De Goey and Wills available.

Smith
Phillips
Ramsay
Crisp
Greenwood

I only mentioned Greenwood, because I think Rupert Wills can play his role, even better. With more midfielders in the side, we can move Varcoe back to defence, squeezing Smith or Ramsay out.

Then there's Daicos, Brown, Kirby and Crocker likely to be pushing for selection at some stage. This just shows what a healthy list we have atm, compared to the last 2-3 years, where we were struggling to find players available.

Always got in for poor old Levi havent you, in fairness to him Wills is stil Young and Levi gives us some expierence.

www.facebook/the hybernators
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:16 pm

As of right now I think Phillips is safe as houses.
Proved last week he can bring a lot to a HBF-type role.

Greenwood is close to career best form, if not in it.

May be pretty close between Smith/Crisp/Ramma, my guess is in that order, or horses for courses.

I guess Maynard will get Fantasia or Tippa-whootsy, who gets the other?

Probably trust Ramma a little more for a gig.
Crisp can turn it on in big games at the G, or do a job on Heppell.

Great problem to have Smile
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:28 pm

I think Greenwood is one of the first picked. Changed the game against the Swans. Brings hardness, running and surprising skill outbursts. I'd divide us into 3 categories. Definites, Definites unless form means go to the 2s, and those always needing to peform. Unfortunately for Smith, he has slid into the bottom bracket.

Pendles
Treloar
Grundy
Sidebottom
Adams
Reid
Howe
Greenwood
Hoskin-Elliott
Varcoe
Fasolo
White

Moore
Goldsack
Schade
Maynard
Ramsay
Crisp

Broomhead
Phillips
Smith
Mayne

Outside: Wells, Elliott, De Goey, Scharenberg, Aish, Cox, Dunn, Crocker, Keefe, Thomas, Blair, Oxley, Sier, Brown/Daicos/Kirby, others

mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Ramsay and Broomhead are first choice best 22 players, injury permitting, and won't be playing anything but AFL.

Smith is definitely one that will make way.

Phillips has been great, but is likely to go back to the two's, as Crisp can play inside and outside, where Phillips is predominantly an outside player at this stage.

Wills was very good last year, but it will be very difficult for him to displace Crisp or Greenwood from the team.

So for mine:
In: Wells, De Goey
Out: Smith, Phillips

Varcoe, Greenwood and Goldsack may struggle to hold their spots if Aish, Scharenberg and Langdon hit form/are AFL ready.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Phillips definitely safe. I think by the end of the year he'll be one of our best the way he's going. Don't think we should be pushing Varcoe back as he kicked two on Friday night and we need all the goal scoring power we can get. Greenwood safe for mine too. Got the mongrel in him that a few others don't have yet. When DeGoey is available and if the young guns in Brown and Daicos keep pushing up we will have some lovely selection problems. Still love to see Daicos on Anzac Day. We have a great tradition of debuts on that day and wouldn't it be great to see the son of the legend run out.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:42 pm

RB, good timing on this post, I was thinking similar.

I'm a fan of Varcoe being tried at half back too, which would allow for the easing out of one of the above.

I notice that a couple of those players mentioned, polarise some posters.

Personally, I still think Crisp is in our best 22 ( just ) When he is on, he is a goodish player. I tend to think he gets the run with roles when greenwood isn't available and that doesn't suit him. Reckon he plays his best footy when he is instructed just to get it as his only objective.

Phillips is interesting. Yes, he makes mistakes but that has a bit to do with having the fitness to involve himself in more contests than most. He is terribly one sided but he always seems to be around the contest lending a hand. As he gains experience, he will learn to use his body better in tight spaces and continue to improve on his wrong side. He may find himself back in the VFL at some point but he has plenty of upside.

Smith for mine, has gone backwards a little and his spot is vulnerable.

Ramsay just needs more time. There aren't many who play their best footy straight after an ACL. If he is dropped, I wouldn't think it would be for long.

That also leaves Langdon, Shazza and Sinclair as wild cards.
Sadly, all running type defenders.

At least least they are pleasant problems to have.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:10 pm

And then there is Aish ??
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:13 pm

3rd degree wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Smith
Phillips
Ramsay
Crisp
Greenwood

Always got in for poor old Levi havent you, in fairness to him Wills is stil Young and Levi gives us some expierence.

When he's on, Greenwood is a match winner with his hardness and experience. Fwiw, I reckon last week was one of his best games for us. I guess, I was just noticing how Wills was almost BOG in last weekend's VFL practice game, in his first hitout for the year. Once his running game returns I think he can play the Greenwood role, but better, especially considering his size. Of course, injuries will surely come in to play, so we may end up with both Greenwood and Wills in the team. Overall, it's the sign of a really good team when good players are forced out of the team by even better ones.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:15 pm

You and your more midfielders in the side we can move Varcoe back to defence squeezing Smith or Ramsay out.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:13 pm

As depth goes we're short on two kpp's. I would be a lot more comfortable if there was at least one knocking down the door from the twos just to keep Moore in the mood and a chb for Justin. Other than that nearly every one could be replaced if it came to form but only form as that other scenario that has crippled us in years gone by are forced changes and that tests the depth more so. So if the list is sitting pretty without injury influence I would say depth players are: cox, oxley, mayne, smith, crisp, aish, crocker, dunn, shazza, langdon, phillips, ramsey, maynard, the last three players are subject to turnovers and that's what kill all the hard work that the team revolves around but atm those last two spots are theirs to lose.
We need to find somewhere for wills, wells, degoey and greenwood always.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:20 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
3rd degree wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Smith
Phillips
Ramsay
Crisp
Greenwood

When he's on, Greenwood is a match winner with his hardness and experience. Fwiw, I reckon last week was one of his best games for us. I guess, I was just noticing how Wills was almost BOG in last weekend's VFL practice game, in his first hitout for the year. Once his running game returns I think he can play the Greenwood role, but better, especially considering his size. Of course, injuries will surely come in to play, so we may end up with both Greenwood and Wills in the team. Overall, it's the sign of a really good team when good players are forced out of the team by even better ones.

Can't see how you would get Wills to replace Greenwood.

Like MT noted above Greenwood is one of the first picked & it was no accident that our improvement was due in not too inconsiderable part to the inclusions of Greenwood & Varcoe to the team.

While I like Wills he did well against witches hats last week (Ballarat are hardly world beaters)) & while good last year he certainly hasn't established himself yet. Wills might be a tad slow - I need o check it but he does get where the ball is a lot of the time (to misquote the late Captain Blood)

Phillips has a lot of attributes but seems a bit slow in making a good decision in my view. Smith needs to lift a bit but does some pretty good things too.

Ramsay is getting back to the form of the early part of the last 2 seasons (both pre-injury).

It's a good problem to have & players will need to earn their place in the team.

mudlark 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Like a few others here Rudey,I can't agree with Greenwood being on the edge.He was pretty dynamic the other night and brings hard nut contests.I know I'll cop flack about this, but I thing Goldsack has given away ,way too many goals.Against Richmond he starred, for a 1/2 then in a 7 minute period ,Jack kicked 3 and Goldy kicked across goal twice in a few minutes and gave away another one.Last week ,some of his decision making and kicking, for a premiership player of some years, was woeful.I'd like to give Dunne a chance for 3 weeks at least,and see how he goes. I think Wells comes in for Broomhead,who is improving, but looks a little lazy to me and Billy will most likely relieve Mayne of his spot and perhaps Keefe may give Moore a rest in the Two's for a bit, to gain some confidence and give him a chance to improve his kicking, which is poor at best, lately.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:41 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Smith
Phillips
Ramsay
Crisp
Greenwood

I can't recall the last time that this topic was considered. After years of glumly looking at the injury lists it's a great change.

Of those you named above, I am a fan of both Phillips and Ramsay. Both appear to me to have the ability to become very good players. The Phillips of 2017 has improved enormously over the 2016 model. He still looks a bit nervous when he has the ball but that should change. All Ramsay needs is some continuity. Not many come back from an ACL reco. as smoothly as he appears to have done. I want to see the club getting as many senior games into them as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: