Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

News........

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:29 pm
Post subject: News........Reply with quote

Passion burns for Magpie star
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
6:56:19 PM Fri 10 January, 2003

It’s a case of everyone 'training the house down' at Collingwood, according to dual club best and fairest Paul Licuria, who says last year’s grand final loss has inspired a genuine enthusiasm over the pre-season.

Licuria has been pleasantly surprised by the team’s rigorous training during the off-season, and attributes it to a fervent desire to go one better in 2003.

“It’s just as a team I think everyone’s really lifted a notch and been training a lot harder.”

“I couldn’t believe the other day, we were training, doing ball skills, and just how quick it was, and how much everyone’s just lifted,” Licuria told afl.com.au.

In his fifth season with the Pies, Licuria has completed restricted training this summer after a knee operation, but has observed changes in the approach of the main squad.

“I’ve certainly noticed a difference in training since I’ve been at Collingwood. The training intensity has lifted up that much, it’s just amazing,” he enthused.

“I know with myself and a lot of other senior players, the extra drive to want to get there again and have another go at it is strong.”

It hasn’t been easy, Licuria admits, to avoid mulling over what might have been on grand final day against the Lions.

But fresh from holidays in Mexico and Phuket in Thailand, it’s clear Licuria is as determined in the off-season as he is during the home-and-away rounds.

“It’s pretty hard because sometimes it (feels) like (it has) been a waste of a year. You play well throughout the whole year, but you haven’t won it.”

“Obviously we want to be in the top three sides in the competition at the end of the season, and give it a good crack in the finals,” he said.

“If we can improve a bit more than what the other teams are, then we’ve got a very good chance of winning the flag.”

“I think every year you want to improve. And hopefully for us the next step is winning the premiership.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

Licuria is feeling the heat
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
10:09:04 AM Sat 11 January, 2003

Aspiring fitness freaks can feel heartened by Collingwood star Paul Licuria.

You’d expect a return to full-time training would be a joy for the hard-working club champion. That such a fit and ferocious player would be revelling in the summer drills and sprints.

Not at all.

“I’m pretty sore actually. I’m very sore,” he told afl.com.au before a Friday afternoon training session.

“After getting back we’ve had a couple of pretty big sessions. It might take the body a couple of weeks just to get used to all the hard running again.”

The Copeland Trophy winner of the past two years has been on a modified training program due to post-season surgery on his right knee.

And though it’s uncertain when he’ll join the main squad, he is successfully combining half to three-quarters of the squad’s skills sessions with separate running and general rehabilitation.

“That’s going okay, but I probably won’t get rushed into it as yet, I think there’s still a little while to go. I’ll just get back into the training, but gradually.”

Licuria hopes to be fit enough to play in the pre-season competition, but will have to wait until round two to regain his senior spot.

After not missing a game for three seasons, he will be a forced omission in round one this year due to a suspension for an incident in the 2002 grand final.

He received a one-match ban for kneeing Lion Jason Akermanis to the neck.

Scott Burns and Jason Cloke will also miss Collingwood’s opening round encounter against Richmond because of tribunal sentences.

Cloke still has one match to serve of his controversial suspension for striking Adelaide's Tyson Edwards, which ruled him out of the grand final.

“I’m disappointed I miss out on round one now because I got suspended. But I just want to come in at round two and be a valuable player, hopefully, throughout the year,” Licuria said.

But the determined 25 year-old is undeniably full of ambition.

Despite enjoying outstanding seasons in consecutive years, playing a vital role in Collingwood’s run to the grand final, and becoming just the 11th Collingwood player to win back-to-back Copeland Trophies he sees ample opportunity for improvement.

“I just want to improve as a player. I just want to get better. There’s a lot of stuff I can improve on. Kicking, running, and decision making.”

Licuria narrowly missed All Australian selection in 2002, but led the Magpies with 551 disposals and was second in marks with 116. He amassed 303 kicks, and a team-high 248 handballs over 25 games.

got some news???? post it!!

COLLINGWOOD FOR EVER!!!!!

http://magpiemad.magpies.net/
Black_White 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love that desire Assasin.
Is that 3 times now they've been into Liccas knee? Poor bastard.
If anyone can keep a team focussed on staying at the level to win a GF, then its must be MM. I doubted him when he came to us, but stuck with Ed's decision and am now happy to leave it to him.
Go Pies 2003!!!

-Craig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: